PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 09:31 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (RAPH 500)
Carrier: Verizon

x4osw0n is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro -- Now working on Verizon! And with GPS!

This is more headway on the RAPH500 than I have seen in 6 months. Makkonen, you knocked it out of the park on this! and the timing with the updated gps bit was excellent. Can't test calls yet (everyone I know is still in bed pretty much), but i was able to recieve SMS. MMS I am not sure on, seems like it may be broken, but that is very unsurprising since MMS is usually broken for VZ even on windows Roms. It hangs a bit from time to time but all the basics are there as well as quite a few of the bells and whistles. Market works perfectly for me, GPS is working. Going to test speakers, mic, calls etc in a bit. I do get some force close dialogs but that just seems par for the course at this stage in development.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC6700
Carrier: Sprint

tdcrone is a n00b

Wow! Loving Android!

Yesterday installed new rootfs, kernel, system.sqsh, "old" initrd. Installed as: AIO331 (5/5ish), then AIO511 (5/12), then the aforementioned three files (6/7), without deleting data.img.

Finally have something useful to post:
- GPS was not working for me on my Sprint TP, and I realized I had turned it off in the system settings while using 5/11 AIO. I enabled it, and while everything showed GPS enabled it would never see any satellites; left it in the window like 10 minutes and GPS Test showed 0 satellites. After a reset - changing nothing else - GPS works perfectly and immediately! Thought it was interesting.

- Battery life seems vastly improved with this combination. Reporting is still flaky - I'll go from 80% to 20% - but I can stay green for an hour or two, and I had the phone unplugged all evening yesterday (clicking away lots of battery messages though without it going dead. By comparison I felt lucky to get 2-3 hours of my reasonably-heavy use out of it under 5/11 AIO, and I had run it into the ground in 4 using 3/31.

- I had an odd bug: I wasn't doing anything significant - clicked the 'phone' phyiscal button, I think - and Android got stuck for a minute or so, and then went to the colored X screen. Booted up from the X as usual, found Sprint and signal, but no data. The oddity is that the phone itself did not reset and did not go into WM, Android just jumped to X for no clear reason (watchdog?) and then got into this Android-with-no-data.

Thanks guys for an amazing job!
-TC
Old 06-08-2010, 10:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Bell Touch Pro, Telus P5310 (NEON400)
Carrier: Bell, Telus

88fingerslukee is a n00b

I'm having issues with getting GPS signal locks. I see the satellites right away so I know it's working but it takes somewhere between 5 and te tell me where I am. That said, I don't think the Location feature has ever worked running Android before, not even the IP location feature.

Is aGPS enabled for Bell Mobility in Android? Is there some .conf file that I can simply add the servers to (wishful thinking)?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ppc-6800

peterm20 is keeping up the good workpeterm20 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajskhan View Post
Yeah, completely stupid of me. My apologies.

Now, let's hope I don't be stupid again.
Is there any setting that allows the screen to wake on a new text?
I don't think that has been asked as much, I've used handcent I'm not sure if it comes with the XDAbuild anymore. In the settings for it there is a turn on screen option but I've never tested it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdcrone View Post
Wow! Loving Android!

Yesterday installed new rootfs, kernel, system.sqsh, "old" initrd. Installed as: AIO331 (5/5ish), then AIO511 (5/12), then the aforementioned three files (6/7), without deleting data.img.

Finally have something useful to post:
- GPS was not working for me on my Sprint TP, and I realized I had turned it off in the system settings while using 5/11 AIO. I enabled it, and while everything showed GPS enabled it would never see any satellites; left it in the window like 10 minutes and GPS Test showed 0 satellites. After a reset - changing nothing else - GPS works perfectly and immediately! Thought it was interesting.

- Battery life seems vastly improved with this combination. Reporting is still flaky - I'll go from 80% to 20% - but I can stay green for an hour or two, and I had the phone unplugged all evening yesterday (clicking away lots of battery messages though without it going dead. By comparison I felt lucky to get 2-3 hours of my reasonably-heavy use out of it under 5/11 AIO, and I had run it into the ground in 4 using 3/31.

- I had an odd bug: I wasn't doing anything significant - clicked the 'phone' phyiscal button, I think - and Android got stuck for a minute or so, and then went to the colored X screen. Booted up from the X as usual, found Sprint and signal, but no data. The oddity is that the phone itself did not reset and did not go into WM, Android just jumped to X for no clear reason (watchdog?) and then got into this Android-with-no-data.

Thanks guys for an amazing job!
-TC
Mine was running really really hot. And well i couldn't get any gps locks but then again the TP i'm testing on isn't activated anymore. Anyone else getting a lot of heat with theirs?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint Sero

hamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

yes, alot of heat lately
Old 06-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Anyone tried Neopeek's ext2 builds? I'm curious, and was going to fiddle with a few today methinks...
Old 06-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

hamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

no, lol i thought that was a vouge port just in the wrong forum on xda. i still can't figure out what the difference is between that and xdandroid.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamagc View Post
no, lol i thought that was a vouge port just in the wrong forum on xda. i still can't figure out what the difference is between that and xdandroid.
Essentially you break out the sqsh file into an ext2 file system - so these builds don't have sqsh files.

In theory, everything should be faster because the system has to work less to access... itself really.

Same XDAndroid. Packaged differently. Supposedly he also has froyo, not sure where he got it from tho. I hear it's buggy as all getout, but using the 2.1 XDA builds he claimed were very quick. You can read the thread, c'mon now :P
Old 06-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

ehh i read the first few posts and lost interest lol.

if this is running on an ext2 partition thats one thing (they were talking about this on the xdandroid thread), but if it's just an ext2 filesystem, you can make that yourself super easy. i didn't notice and speed differences but the filesystem is much larger on the sdcard.

ya i see nothing new there. after you play with it, let us know what you think.

Last edited by hamagc; 06-08-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

mrkite38 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamagc View Post
ehh i read the first few posts and lost interest lol.

if this is running on an ext2 partition thats one thing (they were talking about this on the xdandroid thread), but if it's just an ext2 filesystem, you can make that yourself super easy. i didn't notice and speed differences but the filesystem is much larger on the sdcard.

ya i see nothing new there. after you play with it, let us know what you think.
Looks like it's ext2 partition to me (as opposed to an .img file). There are some nice advantages to that over sqsh, r/w, speed, etc. but definitely nothing new!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
android, donut, eclair, linux