PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint Sero

hamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro (RAPH800)

makk I am seeing reports that the moment has mnc settings, they use 120. if it was not a used thing on cdma, does sprint throw it in just so the setting has a value? thoughts?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:37 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Boost Mobile

TheTenthLetter is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to TheTenthLetter

Has been working great on my Boost'd Touch Pro, although t'was necessary to use the STARTUP~ file in the RAPH800 folder as opposed to "STARTUP.TXT," which would cause hanging at the HaRET progress bar 100% of the time (if you're experiencing this problem, this would be the first thing I'd check).

So far, I'm quite impressed. I'm almost to the point of full migration, but the battery drain is just too taxing for practical, out-and-about use at this point. Looking forward to the next update though, and am keeping my eye on this build. Thanks to all involved!

Last edited by TheTenthLetter; 04-12-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:36 AM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

hamagc: I could be totally wrong and have no idea. It wouldn't be the first time. But I think I'm right about how the htc-linux system deals with MCC/MNC (requiring 310/995 regardless).

TheTenthLetter. Alright. Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll need to make a new package just to put the startup.txt file in DOS format, if nothing else. I'll get on that soon.

Haaaaado Gei!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Lurker

chibiushi is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkonen View Post
And you can use adb to transfer files (with adb push and adb pull). Accessing the sd card in a true, mass storage-y way, however, is not working, as the sd has to be mounted in Android in order to access the loop devices (data.img, system.sqsh, rootfs.img).
I was just curious, if the SD card has more than one partition can you mount only one partition, or do you mount the whole drive? I think it mount the drive, but if not would it be possible to install Android on one partition and still mount another partition in Windows?
Old 04-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibiushi View Post
I was just curious, if the SD card has more than one partition can you mount only one partition, or do you mount the whole drive? I think it mount the drive, but if not would it be possible to install Android on one partition and still mount another partition in Windows?
To my knowledge, Android does not boot at all if the SD card is partitioned. It needs to be one big partition for Android to be able to boot. And I'm not sure I follow you, why would you install Android on one partition and mount another partition in Windows anyways? That doesn't make sense, it's not like our cards are being formatted to something Windows doesn't talk like ext2...
Old 04-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Lurker

chibiushi is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
To my knowledge, Android does not boot at all if the SD card is partitioned. It needs to be one big partition for Android to be able to boot. And I'm not sure I follow you, why would you install Android on one partition and mount another partition in Windows anyways? That doesn't make sense, it's not like our cards are being formatted to something Windows doesn't talk like ext2...
To transfer files to/from the SD card while in Android. Right now I boot into WM to do that, this would be easier; but I don't think it would work anyway.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibiushi View Post
To transfer files to/from the SD card while in Android. Right now I boot into WM to do that, this would be easier; but I don't think it would work anyway.
Yea, you're kinda thinking about it in the wrong way... it is confusing, I know. This project isn't really ever going to be ready for general consumption until we have a NAND. A lot of the userland stuff like this (I imagine) will be sorted out with a NAND. Won't solve all the problems (camera, GPS, battery etc), but a lot of the access issues that people are having should be resolved.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:28 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Actually, you can partition the SD card into 2 or 3 partitions -- the first one fat32, for general storage, and then 2 ext2 partitions at the end, one for android system, one for data. (Or just 1 for the system.)

But to be effective for your purposes, it needs to get all the android files off the partition, so that the sd can be unmounted without losing access to any of the loop devices (system.sqsh, rootfs.img, data.img). There's a little code in our rootfs to mount system and data off of partitions, but that leaves the rootfs on the fat32 partition, so it's ultimately of no use.

Balsat has some builds that move everything to partitions. I'm not sure anyone but him has gotten a running system with his method, though.

(The partitioning method started with the Vogue port. People claimed having a dedicated partition would be faster. It turns out on Raphael it isn't, at all. At least not for me or those I've talked to who have tried it.)

All that said, I'm not sure mass storage mode even works. In Windows, I'm fairly certain it doesn't. However, if it does, you could try this solution from the vogue users, which allows the sd card to be mounted simultaneously over USB and on device.

edit: To clarify, the dual mount sd widget would solve the problem of having to move all the files off the partition to be mounted over USB. But it costs money.

Last edited by makkonen; 04-12-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Ah, I am mistaken. I thought if the card was partitioned at all, Android would not boot.

I guess this was incorrect, thanks for straightening that out Makk.

In theory, we could make a swap partition to use on the SD card. I'm assuming the system just carves out part of the SD card for that anyways, but there may be a slight performance boost by making a dedicated partition to swap...
Old 04-12-2010, 07:08 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

It only fails to boot if the rootfs is not on the first partition. And, actually, the initramfs has been updated now where you can change that on the fly.

The problem is that usually if there's more than one partition, it's not intentional, and no one's trying to correct for it. Which is why so many people have the partitioning -> not booting problem.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
android, donut, eclair, linux