PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 10:59 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

rsmith0318 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Full back up vs. ROM flashing

If I do a full back up (spb backup) that backs up database, programs & directory, does reflashing with an updated ROM (mightymike) defeat the purpose? In other words, if the updated ROM has updates to the directory, wouldn't the full back up change them back after flashing? If so then how should I back up for a reflash so I don't have to go back in & change all my settings back the way they were?
Old 12-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

fenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Full back up vs. ROM flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith0318 View Post
If I do a full back up (spb backup) that backs up database, programs & directory, does reflashing with an updated ROM (mightymike) defeat the purpose? In other words, if the updated ROM has updates to the directory, wouldn't the full back up change them back after flashing? If so then how should I back up for a reflash so I don't have to go back in & change all my settings back the way they were?
Yes, a full system backup is intended as that, a backup or something to fall on if you dont like what you flashed. (This is an excellent resource for testing new ROMs, if you dont like the new ROM you just flashed, just flash the previous one and perform a full restore afterwards and your phone will be back in business like nothing ever happened)

You should NEVER restore a backup from and older ROM into a newer one, this causes unpredictable results and data loss (personal experience).

If you wish to keep your settings and programs, you should look for another solution like sashimi that allows to install all your programs (in some cases with registration if you figure out how to create .reg files for the registry) and other programs. Also for your contacts you should use either PIM backup or MyPhone from MS (note that My Phone also will backup your texts, pictures and music on the device to an online account)

ROM: DamageControl 3.1.2
Radio: Stock +upgrade (for now)
Old 12-23-2009, 01:38 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

just dont do a full reg backup... thats the only thing thatll potentially make things not work.. you have to go for individual reg entries.. like your opera favs, doesnt matter what ROM, the file thats store that is the same.. all your settings, ringers, contact pics, are individual reg entries... it really is alot of work snagging everything the first time around.. theres a few threads around with pretty detailed help.. the sashimi thread being one of em.. al the most commonly backeded up regs are there for ya...

sashimi to me is best, however i dont care about txt msgs.. it backs up reg,PIM, and has Makisu-which restores all your email accounts for you in about 5seconds.. you can set sashimi to ROOT folders-which is the equivelent to using activesync to restore your my documents folder but you get to add files anywhere on the device.. ex-the files you put in windows folder for say your taskbar icons, do you use titanium, all your titanium setting,fonts,.cpr files etc ... you can make anything go whereever you want.. tired of roms that dont put the start meanu icons in folders, assign all your apps where to go automatically, creating the folders if needed..

sashimi does it all, for real...and everything is backed up on your sd card, not some cloud like MSmyphone aka MSstealmyinfo... theres other backups sure, but nothing really beats how thorough and rooted you can get with sashimi IMO..

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 12-23-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

psiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuff

It is worth mentioning that Sprite and SPB Backup support special ROM upgrade mode restores, and I have heard many say they work, but I think you would be much better off doing clean installs or using methods such ss BoredandTattoed metioned if you are going to Flash a ROM...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro