PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 11:50 PM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: still need a TP2 upgrade for FREE?? i have 6 now, this old hustle still works..

to the op's defense, he is a pretty big contributer around here. i dont condone it, but you know.... and the fact that no one else can replicate his results makes me think if it happened for him it was probably a real one in a million shot. the stars must have alligned or something. good timing. a stupid rep. i dont really know.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: ATT

k_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to k_semler Send a message via MSN to k_semler Send a message via Yahoo to k_semler Send a message via Skype™ to k_semler
Re: still need a TP2 upgrade for FREE?? i have 6 now, this old hustle still works..

Yes, but it still ain't right. He may have "mad skillz", but theft is still wrong, as is fradulent activities. I really wouldn't give 2 shits less if he did it for himself, as long as he didn't broadcast an "instruction manual" on how he did it. After all, what would happen if I posted on how to freely activate Win7 Ultimate so it appears as an OEM activation, even though you don't have a legitimate license for the OS? I would get banned is what. Hell, even if I posted a direct link to the source code of MS DOS 6.00, (which I have stored on my HDD), I would probably get banned for that, (or at least a firm warning). Since I can't post stuff I find interesting which is criminal in nature, why should anybody else be able to?

If otherwise, I'll post up the source code to MS-DOS 6.00 to the board for whoever to take for free if that won't piss the mods off. Heck, if the original copyright term was enforced, (14 years), DOS 6.00 would now be public domain Under original copyright law, Even Windows 95 (original aug 95 release), would now be public domain. I also have the source to Win 2000 SP1 also, but I kind of think I would be banned if I were to post that.

1 or 2 Tp2 I could understand, but 6 of them is a flat out scam. So, do I have permission to post Win3.1x, DOS 6.22, and the source to DOS 6.00 without fear of legal ramifications? I have every MS OS ever released since 1981. Hell, if you want Windows 1.02, I have it.

MS should just be glad that I'm not still running my abandonware site. My personal policy was "Unsupported, and at least 2 generations old". If I still had my abandonware site up, I would currently be offering WinXP, and office XP, (and all older versions). Frankly, I think that would be a more sensable copyright law. After all, who really is begging for a copy of Win 2k SP4 Datacenter Server? Pretty much nobody. \

Once upon a time, (6 years ago), I almost got MS and IBM to agree for me to redistribute OS/2 2.1 because they no longer supported it. However, MS backed out because they determined that some current win32 code is present in OS/2 2.1. Apperantly the NT series was based upon it.
Baseband: UCKJ3
Kernel: 2.6.35.7 - I997RUXG3-CL366622 user@netbook #Infusion-GB-CoreA

Last edited by k_semler; 12-24-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO3D;EVO4G;TP2;Treo Pro;TP;Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

u8myfoood is keeping up the good worku8myfoood is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to u8myfoood

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_semler View Post
Yes, but it still ain't right. He may have "mad skillz", but theft is still wrong, as is fradulent activities. I really wouldn't give 2 shits less if he did it for himself, as long as he didn't broadcast an "instruction manual" on how he did it. After all, what would happen if I posted on how to freely activate Win7 Ultimate so it appears as an OEM activation, even though you don't have a legitimate license for the OS? I would get banned is what. Hell, even if I posted a direct link to the source code of MS DOS 6.00, (which I have stored on my HDD), I would probably get banned for that, (or at least a firm warning). Since I can't post stuff I find interesting which is criminal in nature, why should anybody else be able to?

If otherwise, I'll post up the source code to MS-DOS 6.00 to the board for whoever to take for free if that won't piss the mods off. Heck, if the original copyright term was enforced, (14 years), DOS 6.00 would now be public domain Under original copyright law, Even Windows 95 (original aug 95 release), would now be public domain. I also have the source to Win 2000 SP1 also, but I kind of think I would be banned if I were to post that.

1 or 2 Tp2 I could understand, but 6 of them is a flat out scam. So, do I have permission to post Win3.1x, DOS 6.22, and the source to DOS 6.00 without fear of legal ramifications? I have every MS OS ever released since 1981. Hell, if you want Windows 1.02, I have it.

MS should just be glad that I'm not still running my abandonware site. My personal policy was "Unsupported, and at least 2 generations old". If I still had my abandonware site up, I would currently be offering WinXP, and office XP, (and all older versions). Frankly, I think that would be a more sensable copyright law. After all, who really is begging for a copy of Win 2k SP4 Datacenter Server? Pretty much nobody. \

Once upon a time, (6 years ago), I almost got MS and IBM to agree for me to redistribute OS/2 2.1 because they no longer supported it. However, MS backed out because they determined that some current win32 code is present in OS/2 2.1. Apperantly the NT series was based upon it.
Okay in his situation, he really is being unfair and just scamming sprint, but there are some of us with real Sprint Touch Pros that suffer glitches... and also have local techs are complete douche bags that try to do anything possible to brush you off. Like my phone, after ever flash it works well for about a day or two and then it start get problematic again. I'm pretty sure it's not the programs i install because my treo pro runs the same ones and are completely fine... But still, if this works i can finally kiss this phone goodbye. But yea... other than freezing, slow-ness, occasional overheating/major battery drain, there have been no keyboard issues like many other people.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:40 AM
Regular 'Geeker

k_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to k_semler Send a message via MSN to k_semler Send a message via Yahoo to k_semler Send a message via Skype™ to k_semler

Well, if your device is being a PITA, or is otherwise unusable, get a new one. If you have legitimate issues, you are entitled to get a functional replacement. But if it's a "because it's old", then I'm sorry but that does not qualify. If your device does not meet expectations, you are entitled to a replacement comparable device.

(personally, I don't know why Asurion gets such a bad rap, the one and only replacement that I got from them functions 100% to my satisfaction, and hope I don't need to replace it soon. ($125 deductible is kind of an incentive to "make it work and if I can't, try harder".)
Old 12-24-2009, 12:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

alex jb is keeping up the good workalex jb is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to alex jb

That's cool k_semler, I wasn't taking a dig, I realy was interested in how you viewed waranty on a device you modified.
Interesting to know about user initiated problems... Guess I should have called Asurion when I bricked my Diamond, I was only trying to re-lock it so I could return it to the Sprint store because the USB port failed.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch My Pro 2

khalidabuu is keeping up the good workkhalidabuu is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to khalidabuu Send a message via Skype™ to khalidabuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex jb View Post
You loaded the update from HTC website?
yes i did i thought it started but i havent really noticed anything other than the terrible battery life
Old 12-24-2009, 04:15 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro CDMA
Carrier: Bell Mobility

motorious is just getting started

Ok, i'm not an expert in American Law...hell I'm not even American. I would like to be enlightened though. Assuming what the op said was true, he purchased all of his Touch Pro 1's. Sprint or HTC (by the way, in Canada, the carrier must ask/pay HTC to provide an update, I looked into this) provided an official update to their ROM. This official update screws up one's original phone functionality. So flashing an official update knowing it will create problems (keep in mind this official update has not been removed from HTC's website) to garner oneself a replacement phone is illegal? I agree it's underhanded and semi-moral, however, if the download has not been removed, I find it hard to believe it would be illegal to flash a crappy official rom, and request a replacement phone due to the negative effects on the phone. How is this fraud (again, keep in mind I am not a legal expert)? How is this perjury (I'm assuming the OP told Sprint he flashed their official ROM, which is true)? There was an example given of replacing sku's/barcodes, or something along those lines. I don't see how that relates. Switching barcodes is quite different from a carrier willingly giving you a replacement when they know the issue.

I must also note, unless the OP has phones in different names, he is obviously a valuable customer to sprint, considering how much he has spent on their products (6 phones, several contracts). My guess as to the reason why the OP has allegedly had success in getting TP2'S (if TP1's were out of stock), is Sprint does not want to lose his business. Just a guess though.

One more note. Again, assuming the OP has the phones/contracts all under his name, Sprint is probably quite aware of how many phones they have replaced for him. IF he gave the same reason for every phone, Sprint is quite likely to know that as well; Everything is noted and logged (and occasionally voice-recorded) with mobile carriers when you contact their service departments. Hence, Sprint is most likely aware of what the OP did, and still replaced the phone, if my understanding (which it may not be) is correct. End of Story.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:26 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

oldskoolsi is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
you guyys need to realize, Sprint and asurion are 2 completely different and independent entities... SPRINT IS NOT ALLOWED TO GIVE REFUB TP1s http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment...8&d=1255230959

asurion however will give you refurbs all day long without even second guessing it... that memo is not for Asurion
I just claimed my TP and the fricken thing has the new ROM and i'm still experiencing lagging, hangups with some programs and touch flo issues. This sux for having paid 500 bucks for this damn thing.....but either way if i call advanced support on this and complain can I use this bulletin (the link above) as my backup?
Old 12-24-2009, 05:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch PRO

Spydc is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsi View Post
I just claimed my TP and the fricken thing has the new ROM and i'm still experiencing lagging, hangups with some programs and touch flo issues. This sux for having paid 500 bucks for this damn thing.....but either way if i call advanced support on this and complain can I use this bulletin (the link above) as my backup?
Oldskoolsi, did you get your recent TP from Asurion? If so, if you call Asurion and get their tech support department; they will troubleshoot it with you over the phone. If they deem it defective, they will send you another replacement free. At that point, just ask for another phone and ask for the TP2. I did this twice and it worked. Both times the keyboards failed on my asurion replaced TP1's.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorious View Post
Ok, i'm not an expert in American Law...hell I'm not even American. I would like to be enlightened though. Assuming what the op said was true, he purchased all of his Touch Pro 1's. Sprint or HTC (by the way, in Canada, the carrier must ask/pay HTC to provide an update, I looked into this) provided an official update to their ROM. This official update screws up one's original phone functionality. So flashing an official update knowing it will create problems (keep in mind this official update has not been removed from HTC's website) to garner oneself a replacement phone is illegal? I agree it's underhanded and semi-moral, however, if the download has not been removed, I find it hard to believe it would be illegal to flash a crappy official rom, and request a replacement phone due to the negative effects on the phone. How is this fraud (again, keep in mind I am not a legal expert)? How is this perjury (I'm assuming the OP told Sprint he flashed their official ROM, which is true)? There was an example given of replacing sku's/barcodes, or something along those lines. I don't see how that relates. Switching barcodes is quite different from a carrier willingly giving you a replacement when they know the issue.

I must also note, unless the OP has phones in different names, he is obviously a valuable customer to sprint, considering how much he has spent on their products (6 phones, several contracts). My guess as to the reason why the OP has allegedly had success in getting TP2'S (if TP1's were out of stock), is Sprint does not want to lose his business. Just a guess though.

One more note. Again, assuming the OP has the phones/contracts all under his name, Sprint is probably quite aware of how many phones they have replaced for him. IF he gave the same reason for every phone, Sprint is quite likely to know that as well; Everything is noted and logged (and occasionally voice-recorded) with mobile carriers when you contact their service departments. Hence, Sprint is most likely aware of what the OP did, and still replaced the phone, if my understanding (which it may not be) is correct. End of Story.
If the official updates were causing the issue, (and he actually did flash the ROM updates), then it would not be fraud, as it would be a legitimate complaint. However, the OP left me under the impresssion that he was just stating he was doing the ROM updates, but not actually performing the update. Which would be fraud.

One more thing that bothers me about this is it reminds me of a guy who sees his doctor in hopes of bagging a MMJ card because it "hurts when I do this", (hits self in balls with full force). It seems oddly suspicious to me that the Dr. would give the patient an MMJ card instead of just telling the patient to "Stop doing it then." It seems that if he stopped the behavior causing the pain, (when it is a willful act), wouldn't the first logical action to be stop doing it? In meatspace, I don't think a doctor would give you a MMJ card for "Intractable Pain" because you keep on punching yourself in the balls.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro