PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Rom Suggestions for 192MB TP (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=101902)

Klauven 12-15-2009 09:55 PM

Rom Suggestions for 192MB TP

So, I bought a used Verizon TP, yea the one with 192MB I know. I am coming from a Vogue 400mhz/128MB Ram, so I figured it would still be an upgrade.

I loaded a few ROMs, Rootrom, RSTG, etc...and so far, they run so poorly I don't think I can use them. I am a little surprised considering I was running 6.5 w/ manila 3d on the vogue and it was pretty snappy. I was also using android on the vogue, also snappy.

So, what ROMs are available that are snappy but still have the convenience of Manila 3d? All the roms I have tried have Sense 2.5, I love the look, would love to have a ROM with it, but can sacrifice if its just not going to run well.

Thanks

Straitup27 12-15-2009 10:01 PM

Re: Rom Suggestions for 192MB TP

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klauven (Post 1416298)
So, I bought a used Verizon TP, yea the one with 192MB I know. I am coming from a Vogue 400mhz/128MB Ram, so I figured it would still be an upgrade.

I loaded a few ROMs, Rootrom, RSTG, etc...and so far, they run so poorly I don't think I can use them. I am a little surprised considering I was running 6.5 w/ manila 3d on the vogue and it was pretty snappy. I was also using android on the vogue, also snappy.

So, what ROMs are available that are snappy but still have the convenience of Manila 3d? All the roms I have tried have Sense 2.5, I love the look, would love to have a ROM with it, but can sacrifice if its just not going to run well.

Thanks

i run every rom you just mentioned,thing is your playing with roms designed with twice as much ram as you say,i too being a gimped tp owner and i can tell you right now that 90% of vzw user's just give up trying,i may have a chevette tp but it doesn't mean i can't drive it like a corvette lol,even so after you learn how to do some tweaking and all you will be able to use any of those roms,whichever you decide on i would suggest seeing if any vzw user is on that rom as well as to provide you with some tips and hints

philliyxx 12-15-2009 10:23 PM

Make sure you downloaded the Generic rom version for RSTG roms. Uses different PP and so on.

Klauven 12-16-2009 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by num5kull27 (Post 1416314)
i may have a chevette tp but it doesn't mean i can't drive it like a corvette

I feel like I am driving a chevy aveo with worn down tires...basic applications wont load, it lags, start bar disappears at timse...its just down right unusable..

Straitup27 12-16-2009 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klauven (Post 1416671)
I feel like I am driving a chevy aveo with worn down tires...basic applications wont load, it lags, start bar disappears at timse...its just down right unusable..

well start listing specifics so we can get you fixed up!!

first off have you flash danced the device lately?
what rom are you on?
what programs are not loading?
lags?? mine is quite fast........could be the pp setting if you didn't adjust it.
start bar disappears? did you install any taskbars ect.?

you list nothing that cannot be overcome man,like i said your running on a half empty tank,i can do anything on my tp that sprint,at&t,alltel ect. owners can do on there minus specific companies bloatware,you got to be willing to read a bit and try things out is all :)

juliend 12-16-2009 08:29 AM

Try SSK's 6.1 roms if you want FAST.

phillipdhall 12-16-2009 11:13 AM

Wirelessly posted (XV6850.1 Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

Now youNow you've sparked my interest, too. Those are some pretty high claims for a VZW TP. I'm one who gave up. I've tried all the ROMs with pagepool settings from 6-10, and concluded that WM 6.5 is just too large a memory footprint, and TF3D V1 is the limit. Sure, you can run with them, boot with even 35MB free memory, but after a few minutes tabbing through TF, you're down to under 20 MB. With that little left, don't bother trying to browse the web in opera, or keep google maps open while you get a phone call.

I my experience, its 6.5, TF3D, or useable - pick two.

To the original poster, sorry if you feel like you bought a lemon. Join the club.

Straitup27 12-16-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillipdhall (Post 1417385)
Wirelessly posted (XV6850.1 Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

Now youNow you've sparked my interest, too. Those are some pretty high claims for a VZW TP. I'm one who gave up. I've tried all the ROMs with pagepool settings from 6-10, and concluded that WM 6.5 is just too large a memory footprint, and TF3D V1 is the limit. Sure, you can run with them, boot with even 35MB free memory, but after a few minutes tabbing through TF, you're down to under 20 MB. With that little left, don't bother trying to browse the web in opera, or keep google maps open while you get a phone call.

I my experience, its 6.5, TF3D, or useable - pick two.

To the original poster, sorry if you feel like you bought a lemon. Join the club.

i use nothing but 6.5,6.5.x builds and 2.5 sense as well,20mb free with tabbing though TF??? wow!! if pp set on 8 or 10 i can see that but with 6 you should have seen a lil improvement,it's what i use and thats where vzw puts it on the tp as well,first thing i do is eliminate all the crap i don't need running in the background and other crap i don't need that applies at startup,i have never seen a specific vzw rom here or anywhere so keep in mind these roms are not designed for half a tp lol,so yeah a lil tweaking is required,what kind of freeram apps do use and please don't say htc addicts freeram,because that is the worse freeram app i have ever used lol,im sorry you gave up and only feel you only have the option to pick two........by reading some threads and not giving up.........has giving me the option to pick 3 or even more,not to mention there are plenty of vzw users here as myself who can run theirs this way too,hell the pix i got plastered over the site can prove that lol,but what it all boils down to in all honesty though is a user's desire to want more out of their device and not willing to give up until you achieve your goal,failure is often the result of one who gave up or didn't try hard enough and im not saying that about anybody here,i just never give up until my goal is reached and even not then i will not stop trying to gain more

calash 12-16-2009 12:19 PM

I built a rom for my Verizon Touch Pro using raidzeros kitchen.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=81038

Idle I usually sit around 20meg, more than enough for the majority of what I do. It does require some sacrifices but, for me, it is worth it over the stock rom.

Here is what I currently have:

sys/xip: 28011
Manilla 2.1 - 2.5 will work but brings my memory down below 10meg. Don't like the MMS issues ether.
8mb page pool
No Dialer skin. Saves about 10mb depending on the skin you would be using.
IE only for browser. I know I am odd, but I prefer the version in 6.5
Removed iContacts and Fingerboard. No need for ether and saves some memory.

Been using this rom for 2 weeks or so and it has been very stable and does everything I need it to do.

teradog 12-16-2009 12:23 PM

My 2 cents:

Look at Raidzero ROMs, Energy, KISS, etc..
Get a ROM on your phone around or UNDER 100 mb, that should translate to fast. Using Titanium will cut a ton off, (not using Sense aka TouchFLO)

Go into ROMs & download each, find the smallest one.