PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Google Voice--Existing Number (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=100440)

inmnbob 12-06-2009 10:33 PM

Google Voice--Existing Number

I was invited to join Google Voice yesterday and decided to select the option of using my current number. Just wanted to pass on the word that I think this is absolutely a great addition to the TP.

I get a lot of phone messages and the ability to quickly read a text message of it and/or listen to an email is perfect. The ability to download the voice message also adds added features.

Talked to Spring and they ensured me that the *28 would not be charged extra to conditional forward to Google Voice.

I know there are a lot of threads on this but wanted to add one relative to the Exisiting number option on Sprint and the TP

veedubguru 12-06-2009 11:58 PM

Re: Google Voice--Existing Number

I did the same thing yesterday. However, I wish now that I had chosen to select a google phone number. There are so many more options and features available if you do. Make sure you select carefully, you can't change your mind later! Have a look at the comparison here before you get your invite (if you've already requested one):

http://www.google.com/support/voice/...?answer=164819

BTW, it is true that if you're with Sprint, you shouldn't get charged for the conditional call forwarding. That change was made the third week of November, as it used to be .20 per minute.

LoungeLizard 12-07-2009 10:23 AM

I have had Grand Central and Google Voice for a while now. Don't get your hopes up too high on the transcription. It was great to start with on simple messages when people spoke VERY clearly. But that is rare on most of my messages, since I live in the south. Most of the transcriptions are completely useless if a person talks fast or doesn't enunciate every word.

makkonen 12-07-2009 11:02 AM

I don't think there's any downside to setting up a new google voice number when you get your account. You can add google voice voicemail to your regular cell number after the fact, so you don't lose anything. But if you set it up on your cell number from the start, you can't go the other way.

And as far as transcription goes, it's... not good. It's somewhere between completely useless garbage and a call filtered through a lens of madness. Which can be fun.

But even as spotty as it is, it's really useful. I can glance at the transcription and see if it's a long rambling message that I'll have to listen to later (and usually get at least an idea of the content), or a 4 word throwaway.

And, finally, call forwarding: Sprint's conditional call forwarding is supposed to be free now, but when I set it up a few weeks ago, they charged me for it. Called and got it taken off my bill. Be wary.

lexluthor 12-07-2009 04:59 PM

makkonen,

Exactly. There's no reason not to set it up as full Google Voice service. If you just don't give out your GV number, you can still forward your cell to GV to use as a fancier voice mail system.

But, at least you have the option to convert over to giving out a GV number or even use both.

WAH 12-07-2009 05:12 PM

it just still dosent make any sense to me.
why on gods green earth would u ever expect all your friends and family to contact u via a different number when the whole time they never had a problem contacting u via your og number?

inmnbob 12-08-2009 08:54 PM

I agree -- there were more features but it would be a pain to try to give everyone my new number.

I do love the new services.. I get a lot of VM and at work because of a bad cell area I don't always get the incoming calls before they go to VM.

This is perfect for me. I am not a huge Google fan but this is a great start to converting me