PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2
Carrier: Verizon

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Adapter for corded in-car Audio and Mic

My car does not have Bluetooth built-in, and I really don't want to pay to have one installed. I'm trying to do it myself using corded non-Bluetooth devices.

I assume that the 3.5mm jack would support regular wired headsets, but correct me if I'm wrong.

What I want is an adapter that I can plug into the 3.5" jack on the TP2, and have the audio routed to my Stereo, and run a microphone to the visor above the driver's seat.

So basically, I'm wanting to separate out the connection for voice from the connection for the audio.

I've been checking Radio Shack and other similar places, but can't seem to find just what I'm looking for.

Any leads appreciated.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:51 PM
mcom
Pocket PC: Panther 850e, RhodiumW500, BlackBerry8220
Carrier: Telus & Rogers

briggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Adapter for corded in-car Audio and Mic

just plug it into the headphone jack, tthe phone's mic should cover you.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Rhodium)

Tybalt39 is keeping up the good workTybalt39 is keeping up the good work

Also, there is a chance the 3.5mm jack is for standard stereo headphones only (no mic connection). HTC normally uses the mini-USB to 2.5mm adapter for headset connection.
PDA w/TTS (NAVTEQ 2009 Q4 maps) WVGA
HTC Mobile WiFi Router (under Comm Manager)
Old 12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggs View Post
just plug it into the headphone jack, tthe phone's mic should cover you.
Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

I actually tried that out the other day, but the phone's mic is a bit too far away where it is mounted, and it picks up the car's speaker giving a pretty bad echo. My wife, on the other end, said it really wasn't acceptable.

I'm hoping that wiring a microphone to the visor, closer to my voice, will help, and perhaps I can get one that's noise-cancelling, to reduce echo from the car's speakers.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybalt39 View Post
Also, there is a chance the 3.5mm jack is for standard stereo headphones only (no mic connection). HTC normally uses the mini-USB to 2.5mm adapter for headset connection.
I wondered about that as well. Even if so, though, no big deal, as I can get that adapter easily enough. It's getting the microphone and audio separated that's the challenge.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II / HTC T7380, HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

gator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to gator2k83 Send a message via MSN to gator2k83 Send a message via Yahoo to gator2k83

I made my own on the Cheap. Its not hard and does not cost a ton. The + side is one connection. It charges the phone, I get hands-free, and a wired stereo connection.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49137

I have pics, detailed info, and a youtube video on my project. I have been using it with no issues for almost a year. I have been thru 2 phones sense my mogul and it still works. I used this on the Touch Pro and now my Touch Pro 2 (Sprint). This works on any HTC phone with the EXT. USB jack.

My youtube vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfepHUE1EYY
Old 12-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator2k83 View Post
I made my own on the Cheap. Its not hard and does not cost a ton. The + side is one connection. It charges the phone, I get hands-free, and a wired stereo connection.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49137

I have pics, detailed info, and a youtube video on my project. I have been using it with no issues for almost a year. I have been thru 2 phones sense my mogul and it still works. I used this on the Touch Pro and now my Touch Pro 2 (Sprint). This works on any HTC phone with the EXT. USB jack.

My youtube vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfepHUE1EYY
Quite ingenious - well done!!

On the other thread, someone referred to devices like this being available via Ebay. That might be a simpler solution for me (my electronics experience is close to zero) - do you have any links for these? My searches never come up with quite what I'm looking for.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II / HTC T7380, HTC EVO

gator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to gator2k83 Send a message via MSN to gator2k83 Send a message via Yahoo to gator2k83

On ebay there is an ext usb adapter that has a long cord on it with a mic, headphone jack and usb power/sync port but to achieve what i have done it would end up with a bunch of connections by the mic on the visor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2in1-USB-Adapter...item35a407092d

the only ones I can find right now come from Hong Kong
Old 12-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator2k83 View Post
On ebay there is an ext usb adapter that has a long cord on it with a mic, headphone jack and usb power/sync port but to achieve what i have done it would end up with a bunch of connections by the mic on the visor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2in1-USB-Adapter...item35a407092d

the only ones I can find right now come from Hong Kong
Yeah, I was just looking at things like that. Not exactly what I had in mind, and as you say would require wires going back from the visor and elsewhere.

I would like to just have a simple adapter that plugs into either the USB or 3.5mm Jack, and end in 2 plugs - one for audio out, the other for a microphone. I could then plug in whatever devices I need to use.

Preferrably it would use the 3.5mm Jack, leaving the USB open for power, or have a USB port as well, to maintain a power connection.

This one comes close, but doesn't have a port for a microphone:

http://www.etech-city.com/3in1usbste...tek-p-696.html

Are these commercially available? I have no problem ordering from Hong Kong if they actually have this.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

aznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuff

With BT being available on every handset now adays, I doubt they make a cable that will do this. Not a big market for it. Your best bet is to fabricate one. The ebay adapter with the USB and mic is probably what you want to start with. You will need to open it up and extend the mic to the visor.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2