PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Tethering as main Internet. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=99600)

tallblazer124 12-01-2009 04:16 PM

Tethering as main Internet.

If this there is a thread out there like this already i will delete it but i am curious about something. I am moving into a new apartment and internet is 40 bucks a month. Are there anyone out there using tethering with there computer as their main source of online use. I have sprint. If it can be use as as my main source of online i wont even get online and save my 40 bucks a month.

KT_HTC 12-01-2009 04:20 PM

Re: Tethering as main Internet.

I have Verizon and I have been using the Internet Sharing program as my main internet since late September. I used the stock intshUI that came with the phone and I never received a tethering charge. I flashed to mightROM last week and I still havent noticed any weird changes to my account, everything is still 29.99 no more or less

tallblazer124 12-01-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KT_HTC (Post 1377447)
I have Verizon and I have been using the Internet Sharing program as my main internet since late September. I used the stock intshUI that came with the phone and I never received a tethering charge. I flashed to mightROM last week and I still havent noticed any weird changes to my account, everything is still 29.99 no more or less

When you say everytign is 29.99 what do you mean by that? I pay 30 on sero so i am confused. Are you able to download music from like limewire with tethering?

strra 12-01-2009 05:33 PM

my dad has tethered for his main source of internet on sero since he got the account. never a penny upcharge

CrozB 12-01-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallblazer124 (Post 1377656)
When you say everytign is 29.99 what do you mean by that? I pay 30 on sero so i am confused. Are you able to download music from like limewire with tethering?

i ran my touch pro on alltel as my only connection for serveral months. great for general internet. bad for things like hulu, netflix streaming, xbox etc. Some streaming sites worked fine if they have good buffer software (like fox.com).

-D

KT_HTC 12-01-2009 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallblazer124 (Post 1377656)

Im sorry, I was referring to the price of my data plan which is 29.99. Yes I download albums and 600MB avi's from blogs, the whole 9

Even when I had AT&T I used my LG Incite, it ran Windows mobile 6.1 and it had the internet sharing program also. I used this as the main connection do online gaming with my PS3, I bridged the connection with my laptop and it worked perfectly with killzone 2....I miss a GSM carrier because a phone call wouldnt stop my online play but verizon with the cdma will completely pause my connection durring the game and I will eventually be kicked off when the call stops...that sucks, so if I want to play online with my PS3 I need a real ISP

wesscoggin 12-01-2009 06:21 PM

I live in a very rural area that high speed internet providers service. My options are hughsnet (sattelite like tv but internet), dialup or teathering. I teather.

strra 12-01-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesscoggin (Post 1377791)
I live in a very rural area that high speed internet providers service. My options are hughsnet (sattelite like tv but internet), dialup or teathering. I teather.

i live in the middle of BFE (acronymfinder it) myself and i have zero cell service (not even roaming) but strangely charter runs their 50meg cable internet out there.

tallblazer124 12-01-2009 06:28 PM

Well from everyone reply so far it sounds like I can tether and not worry about paying a seperate internet Fee for 40 dollars a month which would be more than my sero 30 dollars a month. As long as i can get my songs from Limewire I will be fine.

jerebediah 12-01-2009 09:51 PM

I tethered for about 4 months with my TP for sprint. As long as you have unlimited data plan its fine to use w/o getting surplus charges. I am a pc gamer, I noticed once I would get texts/calls/e-mail updates it would start to lag in a game. It would work fine when its not in any other type of use. I enjoyed using it for surfing but downloading songs not so much it can take as much as 5-10 minutes for one song with 3G service. Not to mention if you have a windows update on your pc it takes 3-4 hours for a 45MB download lol... Now imagine if you got in a intense texting convo... it could take a day to download a windows update for your pc. None the less its cheap, good for surfing the web.... not as much for gaming, and multimedia downloads... I gave in about 2 months ago, I had to get cable internet for gaming!