PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 11:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Syph3r is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wirelessly posted (Sprint Touch Pro: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsawman
I've been wifi tethering as my internet connection at home for a couple years now. Starting doing it with the Mogul, then the Touch Pro, now with Touch Pro 2. Admittedly, I don't really do that much online at home as I do a lot of computer stuff at work.

Right now, I have a router set up to automatically connect to my TP2 when I enable WMwifirouter. Everything plugged into the router (PS3, HTPC, etc.) then has internet access.

It works, but I have been thinking about doing something higher speed so I could get some decent looking Netflix streams.
How do you get your router to detect and use your broadcasted internet connection (WMWiFiRouter)????

Old 12-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Retired Staff-MordyT.com
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

MordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the community
Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro2: Opera/9.5(Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en) HTC_Touch_Pro2)

If you do above 5 GB a month they can decide to drop you. They will cancal your service without a EFT. I have friends that it happen to. Just a word of warning
Originally Posted by CozBoogie View Post
5. Everyone who thanks my post will receive instant karma!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers2114 View Post
MordyT is right.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Lurker
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

KT_HTC is a n00b
Re: Tethering as main Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kmy477 View Post
WOW...you use 14gb in a month?I usually use 4-5 gb a month and afraid Sprint will say something.
Yeah lol, after I noticed that I was in the clear tethering I went nuts, downloading movies left and right and there hasnt been a problem yet.

It sucks that sprint would drop you, the month I first got my phone I strictly used the browser on the phone and reached slightly over 5GB...but then again I do have Verizon
Old 12-08-2009, 12:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

eksasol is becoming a great contributor

I have the sprint unlimited data plan and use my the Mobile Wifi Router to provide my computer with internet. The only unfortunate is where I live 90miles from the city, I only get 15kb/s download and 5kb/s upload. Cellphone signal booster didn't seem to help/

Last edited by eksasol; 12-08-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Verizon

kern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuff

it's like using dialup with CDMA you gotta choose between internet and phone calls that's the only reason I wouldn't use it as a main source at home, but definitely works well in the car/airport or in the dorms where our wireless internet is less than optimal
Old 12-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Lurker
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

KT_HTC is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksasol View Post
I have the sprint unlimited data plan and use my the Mobile Wifi Router to provide my computer with internet. The only unfortunate is where I live 90miles from the city, I only get 15kb/s download and 5kb/s upload. Cellphone signal booster didn't seem to help/
Eww @ 15kb/s, that sucks bruh. I guess im lucky with the 245 kb/s I get, thats still too slow for me at times. I dont always get that much speed its usually around 140-200
Old 12-10-2009, 10:40 PM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsawman View Post
I reflashed the firmware in the Linksys router I use with DD-WRT open source firmware.

http://dd-wrt.com/site/index

Then I set the router's wireless mode into client mode:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode

After some other tinkering (IP settings, security, etc.) my router uses the wifi tether to my TP2 as the WAN connection and everything I plug into the router will see the internet through my TP2.

The only problem is, if the router loses power, I have to log into the router GUI and re-establish the wifi connection.

I occasionally play GTA4 on my PS3 through this setup and it is playable. If Sprint gets busy during peak hours, gameplay can be lagged, but for the most part it works.
can you walk me through the steps to do this?... you can PM me or do it here, but this would be a perfect solution to my dad's issues. i already have dd-wrt on my WRT54G
Old 12-13-2009, 02:22 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

sammycomelately is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsawman View Post
I reflashed the firmware in the Linksys router I use with DD-WRT open source firmware.

http://dd-wrt.com/site/index

Then I set the router's wireless mode into client mode:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode

After some other tinkering (IP settings, security, etc.) my router uses the wifi tether to my TP2 as the WAN connection and everything I plug into the router will see the internet through my TP2.

The only problem is, if the router loses power, I have to log into the router GUI and re-establish the wifi connection.

I occasionally play GTA4 on my PS3 through this setup and it is playable. If Sprint gets busy during peak hours, gameplay can be lagged, but for the most part it works.
i haven't ever tried it, but, what if the Linksys was left in infrastructure mode, but turn off it's DHCP. Then set wmwifirouter to attach to the wireless not in ad-hoc mode? I would be thinking this should let devices like a wii still attach to the non-adhoc wireless, and it may not need manual intervention on a power cycle of the router? I have been wanting to try this at some point but haven't gotten around to it.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy S4 and Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint(03/09-Now), T-Mobile(06/06-now)

pesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuff

just use WmWiFiRouter soft and your TP2 becomes wireless router itself(make sure its plugged in as it uses a lot of power and will drain you batt juice fast). Also can connect using bluetooth or even direct usb cable in case you dont have wifi adapter. Need any help - pm me

When you can tether for free?: D
Old 12-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strra View Post
can you walk me through the steps to do this?... you can PM me or do it here, but this would be a perfect solution to my dad's issues. i already have dd-wrt on my WRT54G
There's a step by step on the wiki page

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2