PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Be easy on me ....... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=99429)

69Pwned 11-30-2009 07:42 PM

Be easy on me .......

I'm new to WM, had an iPhone for 2 years.
Hacked it all to hell ..... :)

Just got a Tilt 2, and wanna hack this biatch !!!!!

I've been reading forums, and watching Youtube.
Would love any info or advice for flashing a new ROM.

Thanks for an awesome site ....... :wav:

xconwayx 11-30-2009 07:49 PM

Re: Be easy on me .......

this is a little vague, but start here:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98

start reading here. Best thing is to unlock your phone with the HSPL unlocked. Then you can download any of the "Chefs" ROMS and put a brand new OS on your phone. They add cool little programs and add functionality. All you have to do is read a lot and gain the knowledge, you'll do fine :)

WhiteBlazer01 11-30-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69Pwned (Post 1374998)
I'm new to WM, had an iPhone for 2 years.
Hacked it all to hell ..... :)

Just got a Tilt 2, and wanna hack this biatch !!!!!

I've been reading forums, and watching Youtube.
Would love any info or advice for flashing a new ROM.

Thanks for an awesome site ....... :wav:

iPhone owner... GET HIM!!! :protest:

Lol, j/k. welcome to the forum and Windows Mobile. It's a bit complicated, as there is a lot to it, but you'll like it. Especially with the Tilt 2!

I'd recommend getting the hang of the phone for a few weeks - especially since your new to WM, then you can see what new roms and tweaks are available. There are a lot of apps you'd enjoy.

Music ID - Tells you what song is playing
Midomi - same, but also you can hum or sing a song
Groovefish - plays any song you list
CorePlayer - great media player
1-Calc - Advanced calculator with conversions for nearly everything
Total Commander - Advanced file explorer
PocketRAR - like Winrar
Facebook app - kinda sucks, but you can go to touch.facebook.com on the browser
RSS Hub - RSS feed reader
Google Maps (of course). Go to google.com/gmm from your phone
Mobile VNC - Great VNC app to control your pc (similar to Logmein, but better)
Pocket Artist - photoshop for our phones
Paint - M$ paint for our phones
Pocket Noise - useless fun app that makes different noises (buzzer, bell, etc...)
Screen Capture program (CapScrUtil, CapSure, SPB Screenshot).
SpoofCard - Spoof Calling app (uses spoofcard.com cards)
MyStopWatch - nice stopwatch
Track Me - Tracks and logs your GPS coordinates as a trip
Trapster - user updated police speedtrap/red light location app

Games - theres a million of them.

Make sure you get the latest version of Microsoft .NET.

I don't remember what it is, but you can install an HTC plugin to easily allow you to create a Wifi hotspot for your phone. Oh yea, HTC Wifi Sharing.

Get the FM radio unlocked since you have a GSM version of the Touch Pro 2 (CDMA can't use the FM Radio)

Get yourself a Micro SD card. Newegg has good ones for cheap. Get a class 6 if you can (8GB or 16GB).

This info should help you for a while. :)

popularbelief420 11-30-2009 08:30 PM

if you need a SD card . here's a start.
all under $10.
welcome to the best phone experience you will ever have. ok maybe not the best but this phone has been LOTS of fun to mod, upgrade, customize, flash, and all the bits in between there. hit me up for any info. i will be more than happy to assist.
here are a few good places to start. cabs
as well as here

WhiteBlazer01 11-30-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popularbelief420 (Post 1375119)
if you need a SD card . here's a start.
all under $10.
welcome to the best phone experience you will ever have. ok maybe not the best but this phone has been LOTS of fun to mod, upgrade, customize, flash, and all the bits in between there. hit me up for any info. i will be more than happy to assist.

I would keep an eye on the prices for 8GB if you're on a budget, as Newegg changes their prices every 10 minutes (okay, an exaggeration, but check it everyday). I got my Transcend 8GB class 6 for $13.99 + free shipping a year ago. It was $24.99 last week.

69Pwned 11-30-2009 09:13 PM

Thanks guys, i've already got an 8GB card coming.

I knew you would rag an ex-iPhone user ...... :mrgreen:

I'll play with my Tilt 2 for a few more days, then i'm gonna hack this biatch !!!

Some of the themes i've seen around, are so sweet looking !!

Can't wait to be a REAL WM hacker ........ :notworthy:

Thanks for all the info ......

pyro254750 11-30-2009 09:33 PM

Your experience may differ, but in my opinion WM is much more straight forward to mod than iphone. The iphone requires alot of workarounds to compensate for the OS's lack of flexibility so its a very inefficient system for applying mods. With windows mobile being designe to accept outside software, and HTC being so open to modding with the firmware, WM is a much more enjoyable modding experience, and has much more flexibility and potential than the iphone. The biggest issue you will fight is battery life, which is not an issue since the TP2 (at least i dont think it is).

Do as others have suggested and play with the stock os so you know what you are getting into. After a good week of that, decide on a rom, unlock, and flash (you only have to unlock once, then you can flash at will). Stick with a new rom for at least 24 hours to get a feel for it or you may not realize if you do or dont like it. My first WM 6.5 rom i decided in the first 15 minutes if i liked, and i went back to 6.1. Later down the road, decided I like 6.5 better and have since used nothing BUT 6.5. Also read and get familiar with the terminology such as manilla, rhodium, 6.1, 6.5, etc. Knowing these terms and their pros and cons will help you greatly in choosing a rom.

Good luck and happy flashing.

BooDaddy 11-30-2009 09:35 PM

Welcome to the other side! Read up on on the stickies at the top of these forums, and then unlock your phone and get to flashing!! There are alot of great chefs here and they each cater to a certain "style". Mighty's roms are great for power users that want a stable and clean running rom. The Energy roms are usually chocked full of the latest and greatest stuff. Most of us here have test drove each of the major ones, and everyone has their own opinions of the best.

Oh, and dont forget to use the "Thanks" button on the bottom right of each post you find helpful. It helps everyone on their journey to becoming a VIP :)