PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

GordonJ is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Newby ???s

I am a fomer Palm power user who just made the jump and am trying to get up to speed quickly. Here are a five initial questions:

1. button guard- Is there a way to make it so when the screen is off and the power button is pushed "accidently", another specified action is required-else the screen goes back off? I don't like taking the device out of my pocket to see that it is several steps into something I didn't intend to do.

2. Notes Categories - I have a ton of project notes in Outlook which are now synced to My documents on the device. Palm os would keep the categories and one could filter by category. I have tried "filing" the notes in folders in My Documents but then they dont sync- Is there a tweak/ application etc that offers categorying with notes and still allows for syncing?

3. I have read about program storage leaking... but the answers where (I admit) over my head at this point. Is there a simple fix for this? My program memory is usually at about 65% right off with nothing "apparently" running.

4. Opera- when I go to internet on the touchflo initial screen I have no Push pages and the first option is to "Launch Browser". Does this mean that Opera is NOT running and using program storage?

5. What is a good (free?) way to back up and do WM devices crash much?

Thank you for your help. I plan to be a contributer in the near future.
Gordon
Old 02-19-2010, 03:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G and HTC Arrive

boeman is becoming a great contributor
Re: Newby ???s

1) Use a device locking application. I am using LockDevice 1.6. There are plenty of other free apps out there that are similar.

5) Microsoft Myphone is a great backup solution.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

Barnaldo is a n00b

Regarding the button guard, go to Settings, All Settings, Lock. You can set the device to automatically lock after a set amount of time. When it's working, you need to slide the padlock icon (in WM 6.5, I forget what it was in 6.1) and enter a password (if you chose to use one) in order to unlock & use the device.

Regarding Opera, to my knowledge that is not necessarily the case. There are cabs you can search on to do this, or go through the steps of actually exiting Opera, rather than just closing out of it.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

erikdrakon is keeping up the good workerikdrakon is keeping up the good workerikdrakon is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
I am a fomer Palm power user who just made the jump and am trying to get up to speed quickly. Here are a five initial questions:

1. button guard- Is there a way to make it so when the screen is off and the power button is pushed "accidently", another specified action is required-else the screen goes back off? I don't like taking the device out of my pocket to see that it is several steps into something I didn't intend to do.

2. Notes Categories - I have a ton of project notes in Outlook which are now synced to My documents on the device. Palm os would keep the categories and one could filter by category. I have tried "filing" the notes in folders in My Documents but then they dont sync- Is there a tweak/ application etc that offers categorying with notes and still allows for syncing?

3. I have read about program storage leaking... but the answers where (I admit) over my head at this point. Is there a simple fix for this? My program memory is usually at about 65% right off with nothing "apparently" running.

4. Opera- when I go to internet on the touchflo initial screen I have no Push pages and the first option is to "Launch Browser". Does this mean that Opera is NOT running and using program storage?

Gordon

Welcome to the TP2 im sure you'll enjoy it once you get used to it, ok now on to your points,

1- being that your on sprint i assume your using the stock 6.1 software so i'll answer based on that since i'm on the same rom. if your using a pouch holster to hold you TP2 the reason the screen comes on and winds up with programs opening are the magnets that hold the pouch closed. after extensive research and testing myself with one i came to this conclusion. There are a few lock programs out there for stock, pocketshield is one i use although it's not free i feel it is the easiest to use their are others floating around. You'll have to find one that matches your personal preference.

If not you could always invest in a Seidio innocase and holster which i purchased recently from amazon which has resolved this problem for me, and keeps the phone protected and safe.

2- can't helps with this one never used notes.

3- here is a link that will help you free up some memory i use the first one and did the no push internet myself using a registry editor, but by using these you should start up with lower memory usage. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...hlight=ssk+tp2

4- unless you disable opera from running in the background it is always running hidden and using memory, from the moment you turn on your phone. I personally have disabled it to free up memory and start it and end it manually when i need it. I haven't seen a cab for that only registry edits for it. It all depends on your usage of opera wherther you want it always on or not.

5- Best free backup is Microsoft MyPhone Service as stated, you can download it to you phone and sync it with the website and manage it from your pc. myphone.microsoft.com
I've had my TP2 for almost a year now and haven't had it crash on me unless i personally added the wrong program to it.

I hope this helps you get started, i know reading through all the forums can be a bit overwhelming, but i can assure you it is definetely worth it and everyone on this site can be helpful.

Good luck and Enjoy.
sorry for the long answers sometimes there is no short way of putting it.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: NeXus S 4G

Rager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

3)i attached 3 .cabs work of others.2 of them will help program memory should lower it to about a hi 40 after boot,other .cab is for a program called clean ram.its a good time saver works like a soft reset just run it and it cleans the program memory.

4)no just because it says launch browser doesnt mean it isnt open.if you havent done so i recommend you install Goodthings2life's tweaks(its a sticky)

5)I use sashimi its free.for a new user i would recommend myphone which is free.spb backup is also good but not free.

Quote:

Gordon
Old 02-19-2010, 04:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

erikdrakon is keeping up the good workerikdrakon is keeping up the good workerikdrakon is keeping up the good work

Is that the newset version of cleanram? and if so has it solved the problem of cancelling out the blutooth when you run it, i know when i used it previously it would close out the bluetoooth and i would have to soft reset to get my blutooth functional again. So i stop using it, wondering if that has been solved.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Banned User
Threadstarter

GordonJ is a n00b

LockDevice does just what I needed. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 3 & Evo 5G

mikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good work

Quote:

Gordon
I recommened AC's S2U2 for this.

http://www.ac-s2.com/

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2