PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Flashing questions for a newbie! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=99350)

teamsaracino 11-30-2009 01:23 PM

Flashing questions for a newbie!

I am finally feeling brave enough to try my first Rom flash, for someone who has never flashed a Rom before, how do you know who's Rom to flash to? I see MM has a popular one and so does Juicy. Are there any recommendations for one? Also what am I jeapordizing in my phone by flashing to a new Rom, and can I mess this up so bad that it ruins my phone? I am very new to this and help any of you folks might have would be very appreciative. My appologies if this is redundant. Just a newbie lookin for some help.

Kindest Regards.

P.s is this a hard process?:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

japper88 11-30-2009 01:30 PM

Re: Flashing questions for a newbie!

The first thing you need to do is unlock your phone (use Hard-SPL).
Then you can flash your phone.
It's pretty painless, plenty of ways to fix a bad flash.
The rom you get depends on your needs.
Mighty Rom is pretty barebones, maybe something you want to start with.

Each rom's thread should also have rom specific installation instructions and FAQs.
Also remember to install the proper carrier provisioning and fixes for the rom you ultimately choose to get full functionality.

tvandyck7 11-30-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japper88 (Post 1373812)
The first thing you need to do is unlock your phone (use Hard-SPL).
Then you can flash your phone.
It's pretty painless, plenty of ways to fix a bad flash.
The rom you get depends on your needs.
Mighty Rom is pretty barebones, maybe something you want to start with.

Each rom's thread should also have rom specific installation instructions and FAQs.
Also remember to install the proper carrier provisioning and fixes for the rom you ultimately choose to get full functionality.

I agree. If this is your first flash, you probably don't want to have to tweak it alot yet. I would start of with Mightyrom or C_Fay's 1.1. They are fairly close to stock with many added features and themes and work pretty well out of the box. Personally, I run C_Fay's 1.1 because it is still 2.1 runs perfectly and has the added themes and weather animations. The majority on here like Mighty's roms though. I'm not crazy about all of the file folders in the menu. To each his/her own. I would stay away from the 2.5 builds until you get a few flashes down.:thumbleft:
PS: MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD A CDMA ROM AND NOT A GSM ROM. A GSM COULD BRICK YOUR DEVICE. Goodluck!

amw1972 11-30-2009 02:00 PM

My 2 cents...

Its easy, its painless, and you'll love your phone even more.

first download the HSPL (unlocks your phone for ROM flash)
remember to read the first couple of posts pertaining the unlocker.

second read and research the custom ROM you're interested in...I suggest read the first couple of posts and the last couple of pages (relevant) to see what the common issues are (all ROM's have issues)

three don't be afraid to try what works for YOU. There are plenty of folks that swear by Mighty ROM...and plenty that swear by Juicy's Releases...but at the end of the day...what works for you is the best ROM!!

Most ROM's when you download will have a bunch of stuff in the folder after you unpacked the .rar file...the one you want to "double click" is the Custom RUU (ROM Update Utility) just follow the instructions and you're golden!

happy flashing...remember if anything BAD happens you can always put your phone in the "tricolor mode" (bootloader) and flash back to stock.

dadda 11-30-2009 04:12 PM

can anyone tell me how to revert to the sprint stock rom because i think i had messed up my phone here rom version: 1.21.651.3 radio version: 1.96.00WF protocol version: M76XXDSDCABPZM-6125
pri version: 1.42_003

tvandyck7 11-30-2009 04:18 PM

Just download the stock file on here and flash it. Just as you would a custom rom. When you open the RUU it will ask you if you would like to flash the image (of the stock rom, not sure of the number). Flash it and you're good to go.

dadda 11-30-2009 05:30 PM

i had installed flashed the stock rom and got these setting when the phone had rebooted up d:121.56779 p: dsdcabpzm-6125

tvandyck7 11-30-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadda (Post 1374613)
i had installed flashed the stock rom and got these setting when the phone had rebooted up d:121.56779 p: dsdcabpzm-6125

This doesn't tell much. So, did it work? That's the main thing.

japper88 11-30-2009 07:20 PM

You might need to reflash. Here is the ppcgeeks thread with the stock roms:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=91940
Read through it, maybe others have had a similar issue.