PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 03:51 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

derek20la is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question 3 things I'm looking for in a ROM

hey everyone, i have a sprint touch pro 2 running stock fw (although running the tp2 cleanup add on).
im thinking of flashing to a wm 6.5 rom, but i have a few questions before i go ahead with it.

first, does anyone know of a rom that will let me keep playing music with the phone in standby? currently with pandora and groovefish (also tcpmp), if i press the power button to turn off the screen the music stops. this is unlike what i had with my old mogul (with dcd's rom).

the other things i am wondering, are regarding the IM app and the streaming media app. i like using built-in instant messaging app (Oz?) versus others like Slick because it doesnt constantly use the data connection and drain my battery. also i use the streaming media program to watch tv channels. if not included in any rom, are these at least available in a .cab i can download?

thank you in advance for any answers
derek
Old 11-30-2009, 04:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

oldgarfield is keeping up the good workoldgarfield is keeping up the good work
Re: 3 things I'm looking for in a ROM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek20la View Post
hey everyone, i have a sprint touch pro 2 running stock fw (although running the tp2 cleanup add on).
im thinking of flashing to a wm 6.5 rom, but i have a few questions before i go ahead with it.

first, does anyone know of a rom that will let me keep playing music with the phone in standby? currently with pandora and groovefish (also tcpmp), if i press the power button to turn off the screen the music stops. this is unlike what i had with my old mogul (with dcd's rom).
Actually some of the music players such as Nitorgen has a button to let u turn off the screen. Also if you install PowerShutXP, long press power button can bring up a menu for you to turn off the screen. I always do this when I am driving and listening to music
Old 11-30-2009, 04:05 AM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

u don't need a custom ROM to play music with the scrn off. Look for nitrogen here or xda. Nice little media player with the option to turn the scrn off while it continues to play.

messaging in most, if not all, 6.5+ ROMs have issues. MMS cannot be sent thru HTC messaging client as of yet. Or at least, none that anyone know about. The major ROM's AND Kitchens all have fixes for that issue...and to some it is still hit or miss. However, if you don't need to have MMS...then the HTC messaging client is plenty for what you're asking for...

hope this all helps

Old 11-30-2009, 07:05 AM
Android Convert
Pocket PC: Epic 4g

1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to 1999TL

Mighty Mike for stability.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:10 AM
AWESOME VIP Member!!
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 - SIM & HSPL unlocked
Carrier: Verizon

WhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuff

Coreplayer has an option to turn off the screen. Also, if you let the phone go to sleep once when playing music, you can then use the top button to turn the screen on/off while playing music.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:32 AM
SUPER GADGET ADDICT!!!
Pocket PC: Samsung GS2 Epic 4G Touch

japper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIP

There is a cab to install the messenger app (Oz) from the stock Sprint rom.
Here is a thread with various carrier cabs posted.

Depending on whether you go with a Manila 2.1 or 2.5 rom you might have MMS issues. Manila 2.1 roms MMS works for the most part (usually after installing carrier provisioning cabs and MMS fix cabs), where as with Manila 2.5 you usually have to disable the HTC messaging app or some other kind of work around. But the actual fix will be rom specific and usually posted in the FAQ section for that rom.
Here is a thread with a good Sprint provisioning cab that allows SprintTV to work.

I also agree with the other posters, Nitrogen player is a free mp3 app that's really good. It's light on memory usage, very finger friendly, I am using version 1.2 and it works great. You can try it out on your stock rom to see how you like it.
(Download Nitrogen Player 1.2 here)

Please remember to THANK me if I helped you!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

derek20la is a n00b

hey thanks for the info...
the powershut xp worked great for turning off the screen.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Regular 'Geeker

railslave knows their stuffrailslave knows their stuffrailslave knows their stuffrailslave knows their stuffrailslave knows their stuffrailslave knows their stuffrailslave knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999TL View Post
Mighty Mike for stability.
ftw...............

Old 12-04-2009, 05:13 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

derek20la is a n00b

one more thing i wanted to add... even using that method for turning off the screen, i would notice the music would still cut out every couple of minutes, continuing once i turned it back on.

turns out i had to change the power settings for how quickly the phone goes into standby. once in standby, the music would stop just as if i hit the power button. i had to uncheck the box for "turn off device" while using the battery.

does anyone know why some people (even with stock roms) have no trouble playing music in standby (not using any additional software/hacks), and some have it stop? is it with the sound drivers? seems like something beyond just a quick registry tweak.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:20 AM
SUPER GADGET ADDICT!!!
Pocket PC: Samsung GS2 Epic 4G Touch

japper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek20la View Post
one more thing i wanted to add... even using that method for turning off the screen, i would notice the music would still cut out every couple of minutes, continuing once i turned it back on.

turns out i had to change the power settings for how quickly the phone goes into standby. once in standby, the music would stop just as if i hit the power button. i had to uncheck the box for "turn off device" while using the battery.

does anyone know why some people (even with stock roms) have no trouble playing music in standby (not using any additional software/hacks), and some have it stop? is it with the sound drivers? seems like something beyond just a quick registry tweak.
I just flashed to MightyROM and I noticed that using Nitrogen 1.2 that pushing the power button turned off the screen but left the music going. When I was on EnergyROM I had to use the button in the player to turn off the screen.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2