PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   3 things I'm looking for in a ROM (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=99306)

derek20la 11-30-2009 03:51 AM

3 things I'm looking for in a ROM

hey everyone, i have a sprint touch pro 2 running stock fw (although running the tp2 cleanup add on).
im thinking of flashing to a wm 6.5 rom, but i have a few questions before i go ahead with it.

first, does anyone know of a rom that will let me keep playing music with the phone in standby? currently with pandora and groovefish (also tcpmp), if i press the power button to turn off the screen the music stops. this is unlike what i had with my old mogul (with dcd's rom).

the other things i am wondering, are regarding the IM app and the streaming media app. i like using built-in instant messaging app (Oz?) versus others like Slick because it doesnt constantly use the data connection and drain my battery. also i use the streaming media program to watch tv channels. if not included in any rom, are these at least available in a .cab i can download?

thank you in advance for any answers
derek

oldgarfield 11-30-2009 04:03 AM

Re: 3 things I'm looking for in a ROM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derek20la (Post 1373062)
hey everyone, i have a sprint touch pro 2 running stock fw (although running the tp2 cleanup add on).
im thinking of flashing to a wm 6.5 rom, but i have a few questions before i go ahead with it.

first, does anyone know of a rom that will let me keep playing music with the phone in standby? currently with pandora and groovefish (also tcpmp), if i press the power button to turn off the screen the music stops. this is unlike what i had with my old mogul (with dcd's rom).

Actually some of the music players such as Nitorgen has a button to let u turn off the screen. Also if you install PowerShutXP, long press power button can bring up a menu for you to turn off the screen. I always do this when I am driving and listening to music

amw1972 11-30-2009 04:05 AM

u don't need a custom ROM to play music with the scrn off. Look for nitrogen here or xda. Nice little media player with the option to turn the scrn off while it continues to play.

messaging in most, if not all, 6.5+ ROMs have issues. MMS cannot be sent thru HTC messaging client as of yet. Or at least, none that anyone know about. The major ROM's AND Kitchens all have fixes for that issue...and to some it is still hit or miss. However, if you don't need to have MMS...then the HTC messaging client is plenty for what you're asking for...

hope this all helps

1999TL 11-30-2009 07:05 AM

Mighty Mike for stability.

WhiteBlazer01 11-30-2009 11:10 AM

Coreplayer has an option to turn off the screen. Also, if you let the phone go to sleep once when playing music, you can then use the top button to turn the screen on/off while playing music.

japper88 11-30-2009 11:32 AM

There is a cab to install the messenger app (Oz) from the stock Sprint rom.
Here is a thread with various carrier cabs posted.

Depending on whether you go with a Manila 2.1 or 2.5 rom you might have MMS issues. Manila 2.1 roms MMS works for the most part (usually after installing carrier provisioning cabs and MMS fix cabs), where as with Manila 2.5 you usually have to disable the HTC messaging app or some other kind of work around. But the actual fix will be rom specific and usually posted in the FAQ section for that rom.
Here is a thread with a good Sprint provisioning cab that allows SprintTV to work.

I also agree with the other posters, Nitrogen player is a free mp3 app that's really good. It's light on memory usage, very finger friendly, I am using version 1.2 and it works great. You can try it out on your stock rom to see how you like it.
(Download Nitrogen Player 1.2 here)

derek20la 12-02-2009 12:49 AM

hey thanks for the info...
the powershut xp worked great for turning off the screen.
:)

railslave 12-02-2009 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1999TL (Post 1373144)
Mighty Mike for stability.

ftw...............

derek20la 12-04-2009 05:13 AM

one more thing i wanted to add... even using that method for turning off the screen, i would notice the music would still cut out every couple of minutes, continuing once i turned it back on.

turns out i had to change the power settings for how quickly the phone goes into standby. once in standby, the music would stop just as if i hit the power button. i had to uncheck the box for "turn off device" while using the battery.

does anyone know why some people (even with stock roms) have no trouble playing music in standby (not using any additional software/hacks), and some have it stop? is it with the sound drivers? seems like something beyond just a quick registry tweak.

japper88 12-04-2009 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derek20la (Post 1385334)
one more thing i wanted to add... even using that method for turning off the screen, i would notice the music would still cut out every couple of minutes, continuing once i turned it back on.

turns out i had to change the power settings for how quickly the phone goes into standby. once in standby, the music would stop just as if i hit the power button. i had to uncheck the box for "turn off device" while using the battery.

does anyone know why some people (even with stock roms) have no trouble playing music in standby (not using any additional software/hacks), and some have it stop? is it with the sound drivers? seems like something beyond just a quick registry tweak.

I just flashed to MightyROM and I noticed that using Nitrogen 1.2 that pushing the power button turned off the screen but left the music going. When I was on EnergyROM I had to use the button in the player to turn off the screen.