PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 11:21 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to configure your GPS for No Lag !!

*********************** UPDATE Dec 03, 2009 ***********************************
I'm going back to my original suggestion to avoid COM4 (what External GPS Points at) and use GPSGate
COM4 will work sometimes (works well when another application is poking it with WM GPS API e.g. GoogleMaps)

So many posts about GPS lag when I don't believe there is any lag on any ROM.

Lots of confusion out there so I thought I’d take a stab at this.

Some applications know how to use the Window Mobile GPS API (Like Google Maps) and some applications MUST use a com port (e.g. iGuidance). The Window Mobile COM Port Emulator (which tries to do what GPSGate does) is what causes the lag. It's that application called "Extenal GPS" DON'T use it, don't use the COM port it's set to for anything, it's the root of all evil.

********* Setup Quick GPS (Optional) *********************************************
First let’s get QuickGPS set up.
It's not set automatic update by default.
QuickGPS is not required but it will help for a quick lock for all GPS applications.

Start QuickGPS
Goto Menu Options
Uncheck - Remind Me.
Check - Auto Download when data expires.
Don't Care - Download on Active Sync (I have it off ActiveSync doesn't need anything extra)
Check - Exit QuickGPS after Download.

As soon as you click ok, it will download and exit (if it's out of date and should be out of date on a hard reset)
You should never have to run QuickGPS again (until you hard reset).

**************** Setup Google Maps (Simple) *************************************

Let's get GoogleMaps going. Basic steps are DO NOTHING !!!

You want Google Maps to use "Windows Managed" (Default), that is the Windows Mobile API.
Don't change to a com port.

Note: Don't use the “External GPS” application in Settings. It's JUNK !! There is NO COM Port for the actual GPS.

When you first start GoogleMaps the GPS is OFF !!!

You should still get a lock (on Sprint anyway). That is from the towers and cannot be used for navigation.
You will see a big circle around the dot when your lock is from towers only (Also called GPS assist).
Don't panic if you don't get a Tower Based lock. It's nice to have but not required.
But a satellite lock will take longer without it.

Turn on the GPS from the menu (Use GPS).

You will see how many Satellites are locked (constantly) and there should be no lag once it locks.
It may take some time to acquire but it's generally very quick if you already had a tower lock.

******** Setup GPSGate (Only for Applications that Require COM Ports) *****************

Now for GPSGate (only required for apps that MUST use a COM port):

I added GPSGate CAB as an attachment (This is a trial version)
Request Page http://franson.com/gpsgate/download.asp
This is the Desktop Installer http://franson.com/gpsgate/download....GpsGatePPC.exe

Windows Mobile / Pocket PC download GpsGate v2.6 build 326 for Pocket PC / Windows Mobile (1.5 MB)
Works on Pocket PC 2002, 2003, WM5 Pocket PC, WM6 Professional and Classic. Touch screen is required.
14 days free trial
Published 23. May, 2008

On Input Tab choose "WM GPS" and then Click Open. That is the Windows Mobile GPS API. Do not use any com port for input.
On Output Tab choose "Virtual COM" then click Add and choose COM3.
Leave GPSGate Running (it's running as long as you didn't click Exit) !!

GPSGate is $23.00 but there may be other free apps that work as well.

You can also check out GPSProxy (I have no experience with this or know how to set it up).
No promises GPSProxy works.
See http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/inde...p_GPSProxy_2.x

***************** Setup Navigation Applications ***********************************

Then configure iGuidance, TomTom etc. to use COM3.

GPSGate must be running before you start your navigation software every time.

Don’t forget to exit GPSGate when you are done or your battery will drain fast.
To exit, click the startup icon again and a menu will pop up to exit.

Other navigation apps like Sprint Navigation know how to use the Windows Mobile GPS API (no com port and GPSGate is not required). If your application requires a COM port use GPSGate and set it up correctly and you should be fine.

**************** Summary for GPS Settings for different applications ******************

Google Maps (Set GPS to Windows Managed - Default) Don't forget to set Use GPS too.
Garmin XT (Set GPS to Intermediate Driver) Thanks Swoope
iGuidance (Set GPS to COM3 - via GPSGate)
External GPS (Don't use it or the COM port it's set to, it's default is COM4).
GPSGate (Input WM GPS) (Output COM3) Only use if your application requires COM ports.
QuickGPS (Set Auto Download and Auto Exit On all other options Off) This is optional and only effects lock speed.
Sprint Navigation (Do nothing it defaults to WM GPS API).

****************************** Going faster than 1 update a second ***************************

This topic does not cover trying to make the GPS Updates go faster than designed.
There is a driver over on XDA that tries to interpolate your position between updates.
That is not what this thread is about.

****************************** Other Rat holes *******************************************

That whole QPST GPS configuration thing is a complete rat hole (at least on a Sprint phone).

I hope this helps some folks.
Attached Files
File Type: cab GpsGatePPC.ARM.CAB (3.01 MB, 104 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by mswlogo; 12-03-2009 at 03:19 PM.
This post has been thanked 7 times.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Gill is just getting started
Re: How to configure your GPS for No Lag !!

Do you know of any GPS programs that run natively on the Windows Mobile GPS API?
Old 11-30-2009, 12:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic S2
Carrier: sprint

saj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

i use garmin i love garmin but yes 2 seconds lag gps setting are configured to use com 4 automatically so i have not change anything there.

it would be nice for no lag on garmin but i beieve it impossible to get no lag on garmin.

igo8 - that i can get no lag with same exact setting on gps automatic come 4. no lag what so ever but i dont like igo8 i am a huge fan of garmin love it shame garmin can't let you configure turns or setting 2 seconds early that would solve any lag

well my 2 cents but anyone figure out garmin no lag i would be the first one to say thanks and donate ...
Old 11-30-2009, 12:38 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by saj070 View Post
i use garmin i love garmin but yes 2 seconds lag gps setting are configured to use com 4 automatically so i have not change anything there.

it would be nice for no lag on garmin but i beieve it impossible to get no lag on garmin.

igo8 - that i can get no lag with same exact setting on gps automatic come 4. no lag what so ever but i dont like igo8 i am a huge fan of garmin love it shame garmin can't let you configure turns or setting 2 seconds early that would solve any lag

well my 2 cents but anyone figure out garmin no lag i would be the first one to say thanks and donate ...
Don't use COM4 !!! Geesh use GPSGate and you won't have any lag.
You can try it free for 15 days.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

Quote:

Float on over to Xda. There is a new GPS driver that should help with the lag.
Phones: Motorola MicroTAC 650E, Qualcomm/Kyocera QCP 860, Sanyo SCP-4700, Sanyo SCP-4900, Samsung A500, Sanyo MM-7400, Sanyo MM-7500, Samsung APH A900M, LG Fusic, LG Musiq, HTC Apache, Palm Centro, Samsung Rant, HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2. Samsung Moment, HTC Evo 4G
Old 11-30-2009, 12:43 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Do you know of any GPS programs that run natively on the Windows Mobile GPS API?
Only from reading forums it looks like Sprint Navagation Windows Mobile GPS API.
There are probably others.

Just use your favorate Nav app and use GPSGate if it requires a COM port.
GPSGate is very light weight and very robust. Has never failed me in like 2 years.

I'm amazed Microsoft has not fixed the Virtual COM emulator and more Nav apps don't use the GPS API. But it's been like that for quite some time. iGuidance knows of the problem and recommends customers use GPSGate.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:43 AM
Regular 'Geeker

saj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
Float on over to Xda. There is a new GPS driver that should help with the lag.

link please ??
Old 11-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Don't use COM4 !!! Geesh use GPSGate and you won't have any lag.
You can try it free for 15 days.

thanks so how do i actually use gpsgate with garmin ??

set up please i will give it a try if it works i willing to buy it the app

thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 12:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: mogul to tp2
Carrier: sprint sero 500

swoope is becoming a great contributor

also with garmin xt,

go to gps (hit the little signal strength bars) then select use intermedite driver.. works very well for me.

this comes from my old mogul days..

beers
Old 11-30-2009, 12:53 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
thanks so how do i actually use gpsgate with garmin ??

set up please i will give it a try if it works i willing to buy it the app

thanks
I just explained it in the first post !!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2