PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 01:58 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium
Threadstarter

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How to configure your GPS for No Lag !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunebuggydude11 View Post
where is the "WM GPS" option in gpsgate? all i see under input is com4, gpsgate direct, com port, bluetooth gps, activesync, garmin com, tcp client, udp receiver, and virtual com port

thx
On the Input Tab, Click the Drop Down Box.

I Must have like 20 Items in there and there is no COM4 (or any COM ports) but "WM GPS" is listed.

On the Advanced Tab you can check version.

I'm running version V2.6.0.312

Make sure you downloaded the right version.

Windows Mobile / Pocket PC download GpsGate v2.6 build 326 for Pocket PC / Windows Mobile (1.5 MB)
Works on Pocket PC 2002, 2003, WM5 Pocket PC, WM6 Professional and Classic. Touch screen is required.
14 days free trial
Published 23. May, 2008
Request download link here

Last edited by mswlogo; 11-30-2009 at 02:01 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:59 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by saj070 View Post
link please ??
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=571266
Phones: Motorola MicroTAC 650E, Qualcomm/Kyocera QCP 860, Sanyo SCP-4700, Sanyo SCP-4900, Samsung A500, Sanyo MM-7400, Sanyo MM-7500, Samsung APH A900M, LG Fusic, LG Musiq, HTC Apache, Palm Centro, Samsung Rant, HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2. Samsung Moment, HTC Evo 4G
Old 11-30-2009, 02:01 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

dunebuggydude11 knows their stuffdunebuggydude11 knows their stuffdunebuggydude11 knows their stuffdunebuggydude11 knows their stuffdunebuggydude11 knows their stuffdunebuggydude11 knows their stuff

ok thx. i had an older version of gpsgate and it didn't have that option. downloaded 2.6 and it works great now!

thx again
Old 11-30-2009, 02:12 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic S2
Carrier: sprint

saj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

ok downloaded the gpsgate set up like you said when i go into garmin i select use gps serial / com3 franson com3 it searching but nothing happens default back to imtermediate driver

ok so what am i doing wrong ??

i just want to try the gpsgate and see if that fix a 2 second lag or not

thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 02:14 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
I have no idea why people need this. I don't find the TP2 any different than Diamond or Voque for Car navigation. If GeoCaching needs something better than so be it.

But I think folks are confusing different forms of "Lag". Someone had the "normal" lag issue from the crappy COM Port emulator (that GPSGate deals with or Good Apps that don't use COM ports) And found that "Driver" on XDA. It was not developed for the TP2 and there may be issues with other devices. Or people wanted something better than standard GPS Behavior. I really think you do not need this driver. The developers main phone is a DIAMOND. Diamond never had an issue with laggy GPS (at least the CDMA one didn't).

TP2 GPS out of the Box works great.

Also this "Driver" on XDA is a COM Port Emulator and effectively may do the same as GPSGate which is eliminate the need for Windows Mobile GPS COM port emulator.

Last edited by mswlogo; 11-30-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: mogul to tp2
Carrier: sprint sero 500

swoope is becoming a great contributor

this is funny now.

i just used the quick gps that came with the phone..

i have not used gps gate since my mogul.. i have little lag running the garmin xt..

i find it odd that there is any when none existed with my mogul..

and what makes the igo lag free..

just wondering.

beers
Old 11-30-2009, 02:23 AM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff

I still have the lag when I use the settings the OP had in his first thread. Dont notice it while driving as bad, but if your walking, the GPS doesnt have a high enough update resolution to be useful. You have to walk about 30-50 feet before the gps chip updates your position. I have also tried using GPSgate with GCz and still have the lag.

GPSgate is simply a program that GPS applications can use to "share" the gps chip at the same time. Its also used if your application cant "talk" with the gps chip throught the windows gps api. Its not a be-all-end-all lag reducer. Its an intermediary app used to share out the output from the GPS chip.

Yup, Thats the actual speeds I get from my 1U production server
If my posts have been helpful in any way, please click the "Thanks" button --------------------------------> ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
Old 11-30-2009, 02:36 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooDaddy View Post
I still have the lag when I use the settings the OP had in his first thread. Dont notice it while driving as bad, but if your walking, the GPS doesnt have a high enough update resolution to be useful. You have to walk about 30-50 feet before the gps chip updates your position. I have also tried using GPSgate with GCz and still have the lag.

GPSgate is simply a program that GPS applications can use to "share" the gps chip at the same time. Its also used if your application cant "talk" with the gps chip throught the windows gps api. Its not a be-all-end-all lag reducer. Its an intermediary app used to share out the output from the GPS chip.
I hear ya. I don't notice any difference in lag between Diamond and TP2. Even driving around the block in a residential area. I will try walking with both Diamond and TP2 and see if I notice anything.

If folks say one application works and another doesn't then it's NOT the chip.

Your description of GPSGate is correct and it basically allows COM based apps to use the WM GPS API. Which is what the built in "Intermediate Driver" (aka External GPS applet) is supposed to do. But if you use that you will see HUGE lag (way more than 30 feet).

I think the types of lag are getting confused.

Perhaps it (the chip) changed from 1 sec to 2 seconds to save battery in the chip and folks navigating by car didn't notice a problem but folks walking do. But that only confused the normal bogus Microsoft GPS COM Port emulator lag that has been around for a long time.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:40 AM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff

Could be. the "lag" I am referring to is the actual update resolution of the gps.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 255w in my fiances car, and when I fire it up, put my Garmin MobileXT on my TP2 next to it (with both of them set to the same zoom level) you can definately see the lag. They are both using the same City Navigator mapset, and the Nuvi's resolution is alot higher than the TP2.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:52 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Ok I just ran the Diamond side by side with TP2 both locked on 9 Sats with Google Maps.

I walked up and down my driveway about 100ft long and I could see myself reaching the street almost real time on both. As soon as I turned around and walked a few steps they switched 180 degrees. Pretty impressive actually. If anything the Diamond lagged the TP2 a little more.

There is no "NEW" problem with the GPS in the TP2. Maybe it's not good enough for some folks but there is nothing broken here to fix. Just the normal setup confusion which causes massive lag (like a block behind). If you are seeing like a block behind then it's just the normal WM 6 crap you have to deal with (covered in the opening post of this thread).

Last edited by mswlogo; 11-30-2009 at 02:56 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2