PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you experience any GPS lag?
I notice the lag in all aspects, and every application 12 32.43%
I notice lag when walking, but not driving 2 5.41%
I notice lag when driving only 9 24.32%
I have not noticed any lag at all 14 37.84%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Pro GPS lag

Figured I would start a thread over here like the one in the original touch pro forums to get a feel for folks like me who experience GPS lag.

I have been experiencing some GPS update lag when using various gps apps. I have tried Garmin Mobile XT, Google Maps, CoPilot Live 8, iGo, and GCz (geocaching app). I have also tried each program using the "windows managed" option as well as setting it to com 4.

I usually have really fast locks, but the GPS chip only updates the position every 30-50 feet or so. When I am driving, its not really noticeable, but when I am walking, the lag is very noticeable.

I will post up a poll, so please vote, and please post up comments and possible fixes. Thanks!

Yup, Thats the actual speeds I get from my 1U production server
If my posts have been helpful in any way, please click the "Thanks" button --------------------------------> ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:25 AM
Linux Administrator
Threadstarter

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff
Re: Touch Pro GPS lag

I have also tried GPSGate as per others suggestions and had same results.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic S2
Carrier: sprint

saj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

garmin 2 second lag when driving - did not miss any turns - intermediate driver setting

igo8 - no lag what so ever - don't like the app - default -
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:03 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

This a copy to a reply to BooDaddy my GPS Setup thread but it pertains to this new Poll.

Ok I just ran the Diamond side by side with TP2 both locked on 9 Sats with Google Maps.

I walked up and down my driveway about 100ft long and I could see myself reaching the street almost real time on both. As soon as I turned around and walked a few steps they switched 180 degrees. Pretty impressive actually. If anything the Diamond lagged the TP2 a little more.

There is no "NEW" problem with the GPS in the TP2. Maybe it's not good enough for some folks but there is nothing broken here to fix. Just the normal setup confusion which causes massive lag (like a block behind). If you are seeing like a block behind then it's just the normal WM 6 crap you have to deal with (covered in the opening post of this thread).

Like I also said if 1 application works then it's not a chip or a driver that's the problem. It's a setup issue or the application itself.

I should also add you could see the dot moving as I walked and it must updated at least 30 times walking the 100ft. You can see it dancing ever so slightly.

I'm running Energy ROM but they all seem to be the same.

Last edited by mswlogo; 11-30-2009 at 03:06 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:15 AM
Linux Administrator
Threadstarter

Heres somethings to try:
Since the TP and TP2 have the same hardware, this is applicable. I will give it a try in the morning and report back
http://pockethacks.com/htc-touch-pro...-problems-fix/

The trick may be in the polling frequency
Quote:
A. With Advanced config 3.2 http://www.touchxperience.com/fr/out…ol-32-cab.html
1. disable A-GPS
2. disable GPS logging
3. logfile name must be empty
4. old logfile name must be empty
5. maximum size of logfile must be 0
6 delete the files : \windows\GPSLogFile.txt and \windows\GPSLogFileBack.txt
7. it seems that if TomTom is installed on a fast microSD decrease the lag(have to test to be sure)
With those changes car usage will be quite perfect
B. Then edit registry with TotalCommander http://ghisler.fileburst.com/ce/tcmdpocketarm.cab
Under: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\
- Drivers\GpsOneDevice\PollInterval -> 100 (default is 1000)
- Drivers\InputBufferSize -> 512 (default is 4096)
- Drivers\OutputBufferSize -> 512 (default is 4096)
- Drivers\SleepOnNoData -> 100 (default is 1000)
- Multiplexer\MaxBufferSize -> 512 (by default not present, you have to create it)
Tests to be done with buffers at 256…seems to be a little better
Tests to be done with other PollInterval value…seems to “drain” battery
Old 11-30-2009, 03:18 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: a phone
Carrier: none of your buisness

Boo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

if your walking? why arent you looking where your walking instead of looking at a gps?
Old 11-30-2009, 03:28 AM
Linux Administrator
Threadstarter

For me Boo Boo, its really for geocaching. When I take the family geocaching, one of us has our eyes on the GPS to help us locate the caches.

The update lag on the TP is so bad, that we usually just manually enter the coordinates into our Nuvi and use it to close in on the cache. We use GCz on the TP2 for paperless caching, and to log the caches directly from my phone.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:28 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooDaddy View Post
Heres somethings to try:
Since the TP and TP2 have the same hardware, this is applicable. I will give it a try in the morning and report back
http://pockethacks.com/htc-touch-pro...-problems-fix/

The trick may be in the polling frequency
All my settings are the default (e.g. 1000 for polling) and when walking it runs smooth (no jumping).

Those settings may only effect things if you are using the WM COM Port emulator.

Something else is going on and I believe you.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:30 AM
Linux Administrator
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
All my settings are the default (e.g. 1000 for polling) and when walking it runs smooth (no jumping).

Those settings may only effect things if you are using the WM COM Port emulator.

Something else is going on and I believe you.
well, Im using the intermediate driver on all my apps... mobile XT, GCz, and Google maps. I havent had to use the com port emulator for quite some time now, as most developers are coding their apps to work with the WinMo gps API.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:59 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: a phone
Carrier: none of your buisness

Boo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

well a real gps has better sensativity the phone gps is in no way that accurate

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2