PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Difference between ROMs? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=99262)

emkorial 11-29-2009 10:17 PM

Difference between ROMs?

Is there a wiki page or somehting that lists the differences between all these ROM's? There's 16 different ROM's just on the front page of the upgrade forum, how do you know what has what?

Also, whats the most barebones ROM? The closest to stock that works with all the phones funcitons but has no extra cabs added to it?

rstoyguy 11-29-2009 10:33 PM

Re: Difference between ROMs?

Moved to the Touch Pro 2 thread.

santod 11-29-2009 10:35 PM

As they are updated constantly, you pretty much have to read and compare release notes and posts in the corresponding threads.

japper88 11-29-2009 10:51 PM

mighty rom is pretty barebones, you might want to try that

KaliKilla 11-29-2009 11:40 PM

I was thinking about the Might Rom but I heard good things about the CFay Rom too. I am new to flashing and I want something that is pretty much as stable as possible and without too many bugs. Which would that be. Also, I like the fact that Mighty Rom doesn't add too much crap so that I can add my own crap.

bullhead00 11-29-2009 11:41 PM

+1 for the MightROM. Also, I've been using the MR. X ROM and so far it has been flawless. Very close to stock and no bugs so far! The Mighty ROM and the MR. X ROM both are from the factory Touch Pro 2 USC 6.5 WinMo Dump and are probably the closest to stock as you can get while still being custom.

japper88 11-29-2009 11:46 PM

Well Mighty Rom is good cause it's barebones, very stable and fast (doesn't come with a modded taskbar, etc.). To contrast I personally use EnergyRom, which is chalk full of extra eye candy, not as stable and not as fast as Mighty Rom (but it comes with a transparent flip clock, modded taskbar, transparent slider, lots of programs preinstalled). But flashing is really fast and easy, you can try both Mighty Rom and CFay Rom and see which one you like. Whenever I usually flash, after new winmo builds are released, I usually do it over a weekend so I can try it out for a few hours then try another one until I find one I like.

tr0s 11-29-2009 11:47 PM

being on sprint and just starting out, i would recommend mighty or yay4juggs.... mighty is an excellent stable 6.5 rom that works very well. yay4juggs is a winmo 6.1 that is very good as well, has quite a few addons at this stage until he releases a stripped version. currently i'm running yay's (i'm on sprint) and it is VERY stable and extremely fast. if you want a taste of the custom with the speed and stability of stock i would try yay's first as it's actually designed for sprint. if you try mighty or juicy or just about any other one in here make sure you run the sprint carrier cab that is typically included as it will set the proper keyboard map and carrier specific settings.

santod 11-29-2009 11:49 PM

I am currently running Mighty as well. You could also check out SSK roms, if you are Sprint or VZW and desire a very stable 6.5 rom with Sense 2.1.

freeza 11-30-2009 12:57 AM

Your best bet is probably to cook your own ROM with a kitchen of your choice (Calkulin's is my personal fav) because I don't think anyone sticks to the stock ROM.

I was looking for a ROM as close to stock as possible without any of the Sprint apps, but all the ROMs i've tried either include 6.5 (which is OK, but prefer 6.1 for now) OR include apps like google maps and others which get updated frequently meaning you'll either have to install your own version overwriting the one in ROM (taking up memory) OR wait for the cook to update their ROM.

My original Touch Pro ROM included:
-barebones 6.1 with very few HTC included programs that don't get updated often (not including TF3D)

Then from there I installed TF3D separately so that I could easily uninstall/write over files. It was a flawless setup, because virtually EVERYTHING was uninstallable and not in ROM, and the problem with a lot of ROMs that want to include everything and be a "usable out of the box" setup is that you get a bunch of BS you either don't want, or that's resting in ROM so when you want to uninstall them, you can't. Updating them writes new copies to memory instead of overwriting like it should (since it can't because of being in ROM)

/RANT