PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Rom upgrade questions: (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=99210)

georgepink 11-29-2009 04:52 PM

Rom upgrade questions:

I'm probably going to bite the bullet and do a rom upgrade tonight. Thought VZ would come out with 6.5 by now, but I don't want to wait. Anyway, a couple questions for those who are 'in the know':

which rom shown on this site is the most stable?

What is the number one mistake made when flashing, turning $500 into a brick?

I have backed up my data, what else should I worry about?

Where are the 'easiest to follow' directions for flashing?

Anything else that I should be aware of, or look out for, or 'don't do's'

I want to thank you to anyone who responds. I bought this for a new job I'm starting, and if I 'brick it', I will be in a tremendous quandry, not to mention the financial setback (oh, well, I just mentioned it). Just looking to stay safe.

thanks again to all.

g

abdeviation 11-29-2009 05:03 PM

Wirelessly posted (Sprint Touch Pro 2: Opera/9.5(Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en) HTC_Touch_Pro2)

The only real way you can brick your phone is if you flash a GSM Rom on a CDMA device or if you unplug you phone in the middle of flashing.

Also remember to first unlock the phone before flashing. If you try to flash a locked phone, it will simply not proceed. It definitely wont brick the phone.

In terms of the most stable ROM, the Mighty Rom is the safest bet and what I use on my Sprint TP2.

Also remember that your backup is likely only your contacts/calendar/etc. It will not restore any installed programs and you will have to install any third party programs again.

The flashing process is EXTREMELY simple thanks to the geniuses who make them available to us.

1. Download the unlocker.
2. Connect your phone to your computer and establish an activesync connection.
3. Run the unlocker and wait for your phone to reboot after being unlocked.
4. Download ROM of choice (make sure it works with your network)
5. Establish activesync connection between PC and phone
6. Run romupdateutility (included in the zipped up folder of the rom you downloaded) or if the ROM is prepackaged into a executable (like mighty's rom), just run that file.

WisdomWolfX 11-29-2009 05:12 PM

Re: Rom upgrade questions:

I would have to agree that Mighty's is a great one to start with. It is similar to stock, stable, and includes many fixes including one to fix the infamous BT issues.

BetaMan 11-29-2009 06:56 PM

I have tried Juicy's R3, eRice's latest, and 2 of MightROM's (using the latest right now)

Loved Juicy's ROM however it was SO SLOW with SMS texts! I couldn't stand it any longer just because it that.

Installed MichtyROM (his original 6.5) and loved it, however, I wanted to try another one to see what they had to offer.

I then installed eRice's ROM and LOVED it! I installed version 6.5.3 and it was great! However, half of my screen would freeze up (top half) several times and the only way to fix it was to reset. Loved it other than that. (this issue was happening on 2 different TP2's!)

Then I installed MightyROM 11/27/09 version, and it is working great. I do miss some of the features from 6.5.3 though. However, MR is more stable. So what do you do? Work with bugs or use your device with confidence?

Just my 2 cents...

popularbelief420 11-29-2009 07:00 PM

follow ABDEVIATION instructions to the "T" and you should be alright
. ROMs to choose? I have been using Juicy's ROMs since the Unlocker came out and IMO bc it seems very one sided here.(MM roms) They keep getting faster and faster and I absolutely love them.
good luck and don't be afraid to search around 4 a good rom that fills your needs.

georgepink 11-30-2009 12:25 AM

Ok, so here's what I did: ran mighty rom and let it sit. sat at 0% for around 7-8 minutes, then errored out with a communication error. stopped everything and tried to synch. same error. tried rom again same error but quicker. tried a synch again, same error. (mind you, no synch errors prior). Tried one last time and got to 100% in about 15 seconds. phone no change, except new problem of can't synch.

decided to see if another rom would load <maybe narrow down that I was doing something wrong> Tried CFay's rom and that worked. it finished fine and seems to be up. reinstalled my apps and synched ok. only problem I see is the work app I use, which I'm assuming is just a connection to a database will not display properly and errors out when trying to update it.

I'll try again tomorrow. I don't like the errors.

thanks again to all who helped. I'll post when more progress is made.

popularbelief420 11-30-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgepink (Post 1372690)
Ok, so here's what I did: ran mighty rom and let it sit. sat at 0% for around 7-8 minutes, then errored out with a communication error. stopped everything and tried to synch. same error. tried rom again same error but quicker. tried a synch again, same error. (mind you, no synch errors prior). Tried one last time and got to 100% in about 15 seconds. phone no change, except new problem of can't synch.

decided to see if another rom would load <maybe narrow down that I was doing something wrong> Tried CFay's rom and that worked. it finished fine and seems to be up. reinstalled my apps and synched ok. only problem I see is the work app I use, which I'm assuming is just a connection to a database will not display properly and errors out when trying to update it.

I'll try again tomorrow. I don't like the errors.

thanks again to all who helped. I'll post when more progress is made.

when you get one of those errors ( which i have seen before).> hit NEXT until it finishes.> disconnect your phone from pc.>pull battery. wait 60 seconds.> try a new usb port.> sync it.> attempt rom again.>
this has happened to my g/f's Diamond twice when reflashing.