PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 12:59 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Telus Rhodium
Carrier: Trying to get to Rogers

notsmartenough is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Telus TP2 On Rogers

Hi guys, so I just got me a Telus TP2 and unlocked it so now I'm using it with Rogers.

So far everything is doing pretty well (first time using a smartphone, its a lot more complicated than normal SE phones and things like ipod touches lol)

For some odd reason, I can't seem to be able to get my data activated. It seems I need some sort of login and maybe an access point or something which I have never heard of (rogers retention guys didn't really say much, just like, I added your data, try it out tomorrow) and I dunno how to get the GPS to work, since I seem to have to download the Telus navigator for it to work... my SD card is still being mailed so I can't add things like google map or what not yet.

Errm, so yeah... am I missing some information that I need to access data? And is there a guide to using cabs and what not that I can read up? Theres a lot of information here and I'm trying to go through them all but it takes quite a while.

Thanks for reading
Old 09-14-2009, 04:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Optimus 7 and Samsung Focus (unlocked)
Carrier: Telus

jessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to jessiethe3rd
Re: Telus TP2 On Rogers

3G doesn't work on Rogers nor any of the NA carriers. HSPA will PROBABLY work one day... it is not working either now. Your best bet is to... a.) return Telus Phone b.) buy a T-Mobile or similar unlocked GSM phone online.

If you are willing to wait or are willing to use the slower data connection then you should be good to go. Make sure data is turned on in your settings tab in TF3D.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch,TP1, TP2

Canpower is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsmartenough View Post
Hi guys, so I just got me a Telus TP2 and unlocked it so now I'm using it with Rogers.

So far everything is doing pretty well (first time using a smartphone, its a lot more complicated than normal SE phones and things like ipod touches lol)

For some odd reason, I can't seem to be able to get my data activated. It seems I need some sort of login and maybe an access point or something which I have never heard of (rogers retention guys didn't really say much, just like, I added your data, try it out tomorrow) and I dunno how to get the GPS to work, since I seem to have to download the Telus navigator for it to work... my SD card is still being mailed so I can't add things like google map or what not yet.
I unlocked my Telus TP2 (actually I have a few on them in our office) and the trick to get the data working was to add in a new modem connection.

-Go to settings and then connections.
-Select the Advanced tab.
-Press the Select Networks box.
-You'll most likley see "Telus" in the first drop down box. Leave that one alone and select "new"
- In the ISP name type Rogers (or whomever your GSM provider is)
-Select the Modem tab and press the "new" button
-In the name of the connection box type "Rogers"
- in the select a modem drop down select Cellular Line (3g)
-Press Next
-In the Number Dialed box enter internet.com
-Press Next
- For the user name enter wapuser1
- For the password enter wap

(I did this from memory so it could be I missed a dialog let me know if you run into problems and I'll try to correct it)

Finish out of the rest of the dialogs and make sure that is the selected modem your using for communications.

That should get your data working and it will no longer try to dial Telus's #777

Haven't played around with the GPS on it so I can't offer any advice there yet...
Old 09-16-2009, 06:10 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

grandpanda is a n00b

Can you use Rogers 3G data service after this trick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canpower View Post
I unlocked my Telus TP2 (actually I have a few on them in our office) and the trick to get the data working was to add in a new modem connection.

-Go to settings and then connections.
-Select the Advanced tab.
-Press the Select Networks box.
-You'll most likley see "Telus" in the first drop down box. Leave that one alone and select "new"
- In the ISP name type Rogers (or whomever your GSM provider is)
-Select the Modem tab and press the "new" button
-In the name of the connection box type "Rogers"
- in the select a modem drop down select Cellular Line (3g)
-Press Next
-In the Number Dialed box enter internet.com
-Press Next
- For the user name enter wapuser1
- For the password enter wap

(I did this from memory so it could be I missed a dialog let me know if you run into problems and I'll try to correct it)

Finish out of the rest of the dialogs and make sure that is the selected modem your using for communications.

That should get your data working and it will no longer try to dial Telus's #777

Haven't played around with the GPS on it so I can't offer any advice there yet...
Old 09-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Lurker

Canpower is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpanda View Post
Can you use Rogers 3G data service after this trick?

Not sure I would call it a trick but yes the 3g works fine.

All your really doing is adding in the 3g modem settings that would have been programmed into the phone if it came from Rogers.

I'm a Telus user at heart so I am not "up" on all my GSM stuff but I think a TP2 GSM only phone would simply pull this info from the sim card. Anyone feel free to correct me on that one.

I have tested it on one of my Rogers Pay as You Go Cards and it worked fine. Although at the PAYG data rates I wasn't going to spend alot of time online...
Old 09-17-2009, 01:10 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

grandpanda is a n00b

Cool. Thanks.
Seems the Telus version is superior to Sprint too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canpower View Post
Not sure I would call it a trick but yes the 3g works fine.

All your really doing is adding in the 3g modem settings that would have been programmed into the phone if it came from Rogers.

I'm a Telus user at heart so I am not "up" on all my GSM stuff but I think a TP2 GSM only phone would simply pull this info from the sim card. Anyone feel free to correct me on that one.

I have tested it on one of my Rogers Pay as You Go Cards and it worked fine. Although at the PAYG data rates I wasn't going to spend alot of time online...
Old 09-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Telus Rhodium
Carrier: Trying to get to Rogers
Threadstarter

notsmartenough is a n00b

yeah, I actually have the tmobile in the box next to my feet (the telus is in my hands lol) Tmobile 3G will not work in Canada

Hmm, your telus TP2 on rogers can use 3G? Mine can't use 3g, only EDGE... you're accessing data a bit different from how I am (I use the cellular line 2nd option, not first option for cellular, and does not need to include the login/pass)

I'm going to hardreset and try it your way, cuz I accidentally deleted Telus network and now it doesn't even show my ISP, only my work network which I connect the net with now

On another note, what tweaks are you using? I just got my SD card yesterday so now I can finally adjust the settings
Old 09-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Lurker

Canpower is a n00b

Don't jump to much. As I said I am a CDMA guy at heart I have no idea if I am getting 3G or Edge. I'm getting data and it's faster than 1X (or the GSM equivalent).

3G 4G 2G Hail EVDO!

Haven't started tweaking much else yet but it's coming soon....
Old 11-28-2009, 03:39 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Fido

mrnoodles23 is a n00b

Wow, i was about to have a heart attack!lol I just picked up a Telus TP2 from one of their employees who won it in a sales contest. Im currently with Fido and iv got my TP2 SIM Unlocked now but do not have a Data plan with Fido as of yet and was curious if it were possible to access 3G with this only being SIM unlocked.

Im assuming if i were to follow your steps it would be worth while getting a data plan?.

Another thing that puzzles me is sometimes while accessing my email it tells me im roaming. could this be because my phone registered to the Rogers network and not the Fido network, keeping in mind i have a Fido SIM inserted?.
(Im extremely puzzled by this because Rogers owns Fido)

Last edited by mrnoodles23; 11-28-2009 at 03:55 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2