PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 10:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

bstan is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Water Damage, How long should I wait before asking for a replacement?

I am on VZW and I have Asurion.

I accidentally left my phone in a pair of jeans which ended up in the clothes washing machine. It was probably in there for about ten minutes before I started wondering where my phone was. When I pulled it from the washer, it was pretty wet, but it was still functioning, the screen was still on. I removed the battery cover, battery, stylus and microsd card. I did a thorough drying by hand then I let it sit in a bag of rice over night. The phone works, but the screen is a little funny. See the attached image. When looking at the screen straight on, it doesn't really appear that there is anything wrong. At the slightest angle you can see there is some sort of discoloration. There is a straight diagonal line going across the screen from upper left to bottom right. Then there is a cloudy like region occupying the left and top portion of the screen. The discoloration is evenly discolored like the attachment. An area is either discolored, which appears to be a brighter color that what should be shown, or normal colored.

Should I get a replacement from insurance ASAP or should I give the rice some more time?

Edit: Forgot to mention, the water damage indicator on the right side of the phone itself has bleed out. The indicator on the battery has not bleed out. It looks like there is also an indicator on the back side of the phone dead center at the bottom but recessed in a little bit. That one has not bleed out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wd.jpg (11.3 KB, 140 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by bstan; 11-19-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Re: Water Damage, How long should I wait before asking for a replacement?

thats an easy fix. put (submerge with batter out and cover off) it in a bowl of white rice and set it ontop of your fridge or any other appliance that has a dry warmth coming off of it.

in about 3 days all the water will be gone. you may have to get a new battery as it may not hold a charge after shorting. but if the phone boots then your laughing.

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

new2tech is becoming a great contributor

I second the rice method. It saved an old pda I had... Very neat trick Just dont leave any air space in the sealed container that you put it in. Fill it to the top
Old 11-19-2009, 04:08 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo LTE

subzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to subzero1313 Send a message via MSN to subzero1313 Send a message via Yahoo to subzero1313

He said he did the rice thing already

From my experience, water damage is tricky. Some people, theyre phone work fine. Some they work then stop. Others dont work, then suddenly do. If you can front the $100, call now. If not, and the phone is still working without giving you a rough time, wait. It may get better, it may die totally.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I did that with an old pda and added some stock, chopped tomatoes, cubed onions, some saffron and vermicceli...
DELISH!
lol.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

bigirb2002 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to bigirb2002 Send a message via Yahoo to bigirb2002

your screen looks like that because its not completely dry yet. what i did to dry a screen on a phone i had in the pase was placed it between 2 warm componants in my home theater system it dried out in 6 hours completly and the screen was back to normal
Old 11-19-2009, 05:14 PM
KrisK91

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I thought asurion wont replace the phone with water damage.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

its not dry yet, trust me i dotn even seal the bowl. i fill a salad bowl up with a sack of white rice and set it on top of the hot part of my fridge. put the tp2 and battery (batter out of tp2) with out the back cover on and the KB slid open in the center of the rice in the bowl so it has as much as possible around all sides.

give it 3-7 days it will be fine.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo LTE

subzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to subzero1313 Send a message via MSN to subzero1313 Send a message via Yahoo to subzero1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisK91 View Post
I thought asurion wont replace the phone with water damage.

For $100 they will
Old 11-19-2009, 05:19 PM
KrisK91

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero1313 View Post
For $100 they will
are you sure, I thought they dont cover water damage.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2