PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

biggmicc22 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Decrypt file...

Hi,
I was hard resetting my phone....however, i forgot to take my SD card out.
So now my files have been somewhat encrypted and look like this:

20070817-contact-backup.pib.acb4441c.menc

PIM Backup is unable to restore the backup its giving me an invalid format.. i tried to rename the file but that didnt work either.

Is there anyway i can retrieve contacts/info thru some sort of decryption?

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:21 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Telus

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP
Re: Decrypt file...

Quote:
Windows Mobile 6.0 onward supports AES 128 Encryption for files written to the SD card. If this is enabled either by the user or via [Exchange] policy then any files that are copied to the SD Card, edited on the SD Card or moved to the SD card will be encrypted. Any files that existed on the SD card that were obtained from other sources like a PC will not be touched. If you removed the SD card from the Windows Phone you WILL NOT be able to read the encrypted contents on any other Windows Phone or PC.

Note:
1. There is no way to export the Encryption Key
2. The Encryption Key Changes on Hard Reset
Quote:
What's with the MENC extension?
The files are stored on disk with a MENC extension - this lets the encryption filter know quickly which files are encrypted and if they match the key on the device. If you put the storage card in a desktop card reader, or put it in another device, you will see that the files have a MENC extension. The point of the extension is that you can't read those files, so the extension makes it harder for you to try to load those files into an application that won't be able to read them anyway. We also were able to associate a lock icon with the extension to add an additional hint.
If the encryption filter on the device is able to read and decrypt the files, it hides the MENC extension so the file looks like normal.
Sorry to say you are basically SOL. The trick is to decrypt the files before hard resetting the phone. The keys are stored internally on the phone and as noted above, are not exportable. I do not think the backup utility would / could have backed them up either.

Last edited by CovKid66; 11-18-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

biggmicc22 is a n00b

so this wont work?

http://www.joelevi.com/blog/index.ph...our-menc-file/
Old 11-18-2009, 06:40 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Telus

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP

Did you read it? It says:

Quote:

Have you had to hard-reset (or replace) the phone that created the file(s)?
  • If you’ve replaced your phone (warranty replacement, upgrade, etc.) the encryption/decryption keys are no longer the same and your files are inaccessible.
  • If you’ve had to hard-reset (erase everything back to factory defaults), again, the encryption/decryption keys are no longer the same and your files are inaccessible.
So, the other scenario is that you still have access to the phone, and it hasn’t been hard-reset, great! We can probably get your files off! W00T!
So the answer is a resounding no again sorry.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2