PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 10:25 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Galaxy S2
Carrier: Sprint

sacr3d is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Slow question

Hello,

I've been installing ROM's for awhile and love the customization people bring to the table. Problem is every time I install a new ROM its always fast (generally), but eventually becomes sluggish. I delete and purge off old text messages and it makes a small difference in speed and I do restart my phone often. Is there anything I'm missing here? or does this happen to others?

If not can you give me a few pointers on what I should be looking for.

Thanks!!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:44 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Slow question

do u have push internet disabled, that eats like almost 10mbs right there... your phone gets slower as the program memory increases.. you need to be careful what programs run in the backround as well, not sure what task manager your using, but the internal one doesnt show everything...

including for you:
taskmanager.exe -shows everything your phone has runnin

graphic booster-speeds up graphics (lol)

nopushinternet-kills push internet altogether, push cant be used again unless you uninstall

cleartemp-clear out all your temp files

cleanRam-awesome cleanup utility
Old 05-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Honestly from My opinion its the nature of the beast called windows mobile. I only had one Phone with WM that seemed to work just about flawless, it was My Treo 700wx. I installed 2 programs and that was it. one was a memory monitor for the today screen and the other was Resco Explorer. I only soft reset once a month and that was it for like 3 years.

Remember this phone is more like a computer than just a phone. Your running multiple Programs, Multi tasking and Working it day in and day out. How often do you reboot your PC at home? its just like that, your PC run great when you first get it and than you start loading programs and tweeks and things. over time its going to get slow and sluggish. so you reboot a little more and clean things off it every so often.

Sometimes it's just good to reload from scratch. Personally I reinstall everything on my computer about every 6 months just for good housecleaning with it. and I feel the same with my phone. if your going to use it just like your desktop or notebook pretty much the same rules apply in my book.

I think if more people thought of this phone like a computer then it would make a little more since and understand the maintenance that goes along with it. if you don't want to Softreset your phone every day, there are programs out there that can do it for you or things like HTCAddicts_clean ram where you can have it run automatically every day. there are programs that you can schedule your phone to perform a soft reset every day when your not using it.

This is my take on WM in general but each to His own.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:59 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Galaxy S2
Threadstarter

sacr3d is just getting started

Well I've used those attachments before, but was weary of using them on customer ROM's.

Yeah I already close unused processes or software reset my phone once a day. I've only installed 1 app on this phone and it was a locking application. So not like that did a whole lot lol. Other than that it just seems like after awhile the phone gets slower. I was thinking maybe log files or some type of cached files are building up, causing it to be sluggish over time.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go through and disable some more things.

Sorry for the delayed response as well.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

zachin2036 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
nopushinternet-kills push internet altogether, push cant be used again unless you uninstall
Hey boredandtattooed, is this a 6.1 only thing? Reading around in these forums, I thought that the push internet was changed on 6.5 so it wasn't running all the time?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2010, 04:46 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TP2, HTC HD2
Carrier: Etisalat

cmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacr3d View Post
Hello,

I've been installing ROM's for awhile and love the customization people bring to the table. Problem is every time I install a new ROM its always fast (generally), but eventually becomes sluggish. I delete and purge off old text messages and it makes a small difference in speed and I do restart my phone often. Is there anything I'm missing here? or does this happen to others?

If not can you give me a few pointers on what I should be looking for.

Thanks!!
tl,dr: Flash a new ROM

Yes, constantly. Every time I flash (after performing a task29 of course) the ROM that loads is fairly responsive for me...for a time. After a while Sense slows down, I cannot switch between apps quickly, overall just a lot of sluggishness. Even after a soft reset, things slow down again, even more quickly. I’ve tried everything – I use Memaid and have set it to both “Speed” and “Extreme Speed” settings, the HTC Performance app, etc…Then when I cannot do anymore, that's about the time I hunt for a new ROM. Usually I stick with one chef (NRGZ) to make it easier be up and running with all my apps and tweaks via Sashimi, and XDA_UC (NRGZ makes all this really easy and also has a Settings Exporter app). But right now I am on vin's Plutonium 23569 build since darren.wilson was talking it up. I like it. Like all ROM’s it’s got it’s quirks, and coming into a new ROM you have to know what the fixes that are required to be installed, so you don’t come off like a n00b asking questions that are answered the 2nd or 3rd post…

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2