PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 02:21 AM
HTC = TAIWAN! =)
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

twe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TP2 coming tomorrow, got some questions regarding SIM and HardSPL

So i'm a bit confused at all this unlocking thing.
Let me try to get things straight so I know what's going on. Sorry for asking stupid questions, but I just got my new TP2 (ex-user of tp)

So the HardSPL thing is the unlock that you need to perform to get your bootloader to allow flash of customs roms...

SimUnlocker is the unlocking thing to allow you to use your sim card slot. In order for you to use your phone with other carriers within the USA, you need to first SimUnlock, which is something you have to pay for? Then flash Sprint 1.96.00WU (Sprint stock edited)?

^this will allow then allow your sim card slot to be used with ANY sim card that you put in? which means i can do to Hk, China, and etc and pop in a sim card and the radio should automatically pick up signal once I set the phone to receive signal from the sim card?

So without SimUnlocker a stock Sprint phone is technically not UNLOCKED for any GSM Network?

Did i get everything correct? Thanks for answering my question.

Sprint Fair and Flex 500mins - unlimited; text, data, N&W@6pm (perks) - Sprint Pick 3, Unl Incoming Mins
ROMS: Vin. Pluto. (M2.5), Mighty (M2.5), Energy (M2.5)
Old 11-13-2009, 10:57 AM
HTC = TAIWAN! =)
Threadstarter

twe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: TP2 coming tomorrow, got some questions regarding SIM and HardSPL

bump for answers. thanks
Old 11-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Cotton Pickin' Mod
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon aka VZW aka BigRed

bignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via MSN to bignadad Send a message via Yahoo to bignadad Send a message via Skype™ to bignadad

Quote:
Originally Posted by twe90kid View Post
So the HardSPL thing is the unlock that you need to perform to get your bootloader to allow flash of customs roms...
Yes, its a simple flash that only takes a minute or so, does not interfere with current ROM, just Unlocks....

Quote:
SimUnlocker is the unlocking thing to allow you to use your sim card slot. In order for you to use your phone with other carriers within the USA, you need to first SimUnlock, which is something you have to pay for?
Yes, u need to purchase a SIM Unlock to use your sim Card slot in US.

Quote:
Then flash Sprint 1.96.00WU (Sprint stock edited)?
i use verizon, not sure about this

Quote:
^this will allow then allow your sim card slot to be used with ANY sim card that you put in? which means i can do to Hk, China, and etc and pop in a sim card and the radio should automatically pick up signal once I set the phone to receive signal from the sim card?
Yes, i use a AT&T prepaid SIM card in mine. all you have to do is go to phone settings, set to use GSM or CMDA ONLY, once you set it shows avaiable networks to connect to. in a matter of a minute or two, you'll be on a different carrier network......
*The phone is already unlocked for Overseas SIM Card Use*

Quote:
So without SimUnlocker a stock Sprint phone is technically not UNLOCKED for any GSM Network?
Yes, that's correct.

Last edited by bignadad; 11-13-2009 at 11:10 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Quote:
So i'm a bit confused at all this unlocking thing.
Let me try to get things straight so I know what's going on. Sorry for asking stupid questions, but I just got my new TP2 (ex-user of tp)

SimUnlocker is the unlocking thing to allow you to use your sim card slot. In order for you to use your phone with other carriers within the USA, you need to first SimUnlock, which is something you have to pay for? Then flash Sprint 1.96.00WU (Sprint stock edited)?

Yes the hardspl is for the purpose of flashing custom roms, and the sim unlocker is so you can use your sim card with any gsm carrier. Now keep in mind that the sprint version of the tp2 is already sim unlocked so if you go over seas you wouldn't need to do anything special other than just pop in whatever sim card you want to use. The sim unlocker for the sprint version is specifically for using a USgsm(att,tmobile) card and nothing to do with international use. So for the most part you got it.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:13 AM
The Great Winged Horse
Pocket PC: XV6700 XV6800 TP2
Carrier: Big Red

Pegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIP

Quote:

First, I'm VZW but as I understand Sprint is already unlocked for foreign countries. Just not NA networks.

Secondly. There is not a specific order as sim unlock survives HSPL, and vice versa.

Simunlock> Pay for use, HSPL> Free for individual use.

Now its time to have fun,and start flashing.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:16 AM
HTC = TAIWAN! =)
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by themuffinman View Post
Yes the hardspl is for the purpose of flashing custom roms, and the sim unlocker is so you can use your sim card with any gsm carrier. Now keep in mind that the sprint version of the tp2 is already sim unlocked so if you go over seas you wouldn't need to do anything special other than just pop in whatever sim card you want to use. The sim unlocker for the sprint version is specifically for using a USgsm(att,tmobile) card and nothing to do with international use. So for the most part you got it.
okay, so here comes the confusion.

so i don't need to purchase SimUnlocker if i only want to use sim cards from overseas? I only need to purchase SimUnlocker if i want to use sim cards from the USA (basically US-GSM)
Old 11-13-2009, 11:25 AM
The Great Winged Horse
Pocket PC: XV6700 XV6800 TP2
Carrier: Big Red

Pegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIP

Quote:
okay, so here comes the confusion.

so i don't need to purchase SimUnlocker if i only want to use sim cards from overseas? I only need to purchase SimUnlocker if i want to use sim cards from the USA (basically US-GSM)
Correct

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2