PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 08:59 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is there a better alternative to opera mini?

I thought perhaps with the large screen I might have another go at different browsers. Any suggestion by folks familiar with opera mini.

By the way I did try opera mini beta and it's way too broken. It's built in keyboard stinks and using the non embedded editor is now broken randomly. And no synced bookmarks drove me nuts.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:03 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community
Re: Is there a better alternative to opera mini?

The beta sucks (WAY too buggy IMHO) but as far as I'm concerned OM 4.2 is by far the best browser available except when you just have to have flash (then you're stuck with that POS Skyfire)

~John
Old 11-11-2009, 10:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: tp2 / hero
Carrier: sprint

dmb60614 is keeping up the good workdmb60614 is keeping up the good work

i'm still using 4.2 for most stuff. i'll use tweaked opera or skyfire in certain situations. mini 5 looks nice but is a little too rough around the edges for full time use.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: Sprint

yahknow1 is just getting started

What is the differance (if any) between Opera Mini and Opera Mobile? and is one of those better than the other?
Old 11-11-2009, 11:40 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Opera Mobile is a regular browser (Like IE). It does all the rendering on your device. Opera Mini uses a server to do all of the rendering, and sends a compressed feed to your device. The result is you use less data, and the browsing is faster (but less secure).

Having said all of that, I think Skyfire is WAY better than Opera Mini on the Touch Pro 2. Opera Mini was made for a lower resolution, so when you put it on the Touch Pro 2 all of the text and links are way too small.

Maybe it's just the build I'm using?

To anyone who likes Opera Mini better than Skyfire- can you post an Opera Mini cab? I must have the wrong build or something. I did like Opera Mini better than Skyfire on my old AT&T Tilt though...
Old 11-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

opera 9.7 is pretty stable and takes you to pc versions of the web, not just mobile formats.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

linzgeneral is keeping up the good worklinzgeneral is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
Opera Mobile is a regular browser (Like IE). It does all the rendering on your device. Opera Mini uses a server to do all of the rendering, and sends a compressed feed to your device. The result is you use less data, and the browsing is faster (but less secure).

Having said all of that, I think Skyfire is WAY better than Opera Mini on the Touch Pro 2. Opera Mini was made for a lower resolution, so when you put it on the Touch Pro 2 all of the text and links are way too small.

Maybe it's just the build I'm using?

To anyone who likes Opera Mini better than Skyfire- can you post an Opera Mini cab? I must have the wrong build or something. I did like Opera Mini better than Skyfire on my old AT&T Tilt though...
You can go into setting and adjust the text and pic quality to your specifications. The pics are actually pretty sharp as well as the text can be adjusted to your individual liking.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note-2

ycats is becoming a PPCGeeks regularycats is becoming a PPCGeeks regularycats is becoming a PPCGeeks regularycats is becoming a PPCGeeks regularycats is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

try Bolt Java browser
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:03 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
I think Skyfire is WAY better than Opera Mini on the Touch Pro 2. Opera Mini was made for a lower resolution, so when you put it on the Touch Pro 2 all of the text and links are way too small.

You need to set the font size for OM with a regedit, then it looks WAY better than Skyfire which is not compatible with either VGA or WVGA yet.

this is from memory, but I'm pretty sure you will find the OM font settings in HKLM>Software>Apps>Esmertic Java>Device Info>Java Font.

There you will find the font settings for small/medium/large. I have mine set to 28, 22 & 18 but you can experiment with that.

Save the reg settings & then open OM & click Menu>Tools>Settings.

~John
Old 11-11-2009, 03:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

i still use iris.
skyfire is the best for flash, but it looks really ugly on a wvga screen.
mini 5 has bugs... for example, i have to click and hold links and open them in another tab to make sure they open correctly. otherwise, most of the time they open the wrong link or same page.
you can also try bolt browser, which competes with mini
opera mobile is good if you don't mind the rendering glitches... kinda slow imo too, unless you use turbo.
IE is way too slow for use.
there is also dorothy browser, but it's still too early to use it

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2