PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2009, 05:25 PM
mathiass's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint
Location: TEXAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 111
Reputation: 75
mathiass is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to mathiass
Question Stormchasing

OK so in the spring I go stormchasing throughout Texas and the surrounding states. I usually use my CrackBerry's phone-as-modem on Sprint for the data I need on the go (radar, updates, etc).

I've been researching and I know I'll be able to use the TP2 (when it finally arrives via UPS) as, essentially, a ninja'd wireless router. So that solves the problem of me having to pay for extra mobile data service. My question is then, are there prepaid US data SIMs just in case Sprint service wherever I happen to be on the road is shoddy? I am going to SIM unlock and all that good stuff. If I were to be able to get on Verizon's EDGE would I get the crazy-faster-than-rev-a speeds? Cuz I would love to get crazy fast radar and such on the go.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2009, 05:27 PM
mathiass's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter
Location: TEXAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 111
Reputation: 75
mathiass is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to mathiass
Re: Stormchasing

And I just realized I posted this in the wrong section, could a mod so kindly move it plz
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2009, 05:30 PM
racemepls's Avatar
Halfway to VIP Status
Offline
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Sprint
Location: pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 629
Reputation: 885
racemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Stormchasing

Wow! I was just about to post something in the off topic about storm chasing. I've been into meteorology for years but never pursued it. Anyway, you now have the very best phone to use as a modem. You can do it via wifi bluetooth and usb. Sprint's internet speeds more often than not is faster than Verizon's and thats not my opinoin it's proven. Good choice on phones man!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2009, 05:33 PM
racemepls's Avatar
Halfway to VIP Status
Offline
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Sprint
Location: pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 629
Reputation: 885
racemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Stormchasing

Oh and when your phone arrives search or pm me and I have some great, easy to install cabs for you.
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2009, 05:43 PM
gTen's Avatar
"The Fuzzy One"
Offline
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Internet
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,855
Reputation: 9080
gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Stormchasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathiass View Post
I am going to SIM unlock and all that good stuff. If I were to be able to get on Verizon's EDGE would I get the crazy-faster-than-rev-a speeds? Cuz I would love to get crazy fast radar and such on the go.

Verizon is CDMA so you should be able to roam on verizon network if sprint network is not present. If you want better signal, airwave may help.

As for GSM, most carriers have pay as you go plans.

Nothing live is faster then Rev A other then 4g and the improved HSDPA(presumably)
__________________
Earn some spare cash and get cash back at stores like NewEgg and more:

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2009, 05:44 PM
mathiass's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter
Location: TEXAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 111
Reputation: 75
mathiass is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to mathiass
Re: Stormchasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by racemepls View Post
Wow! I was just about to post something in the off topic about storm chasing. I've been into meteorology for years but never pursued it. Anyway, you now have the very best phone to use as a modem. You can do it via wifi bluetooth and usb. Sprint's internet speeds more often than not is faster than Verizon's and thats not my opinoin it's proven. Good choice on phones man!
I feel ya man. I've loved weather every since I was a little kid. I just love how dynamic and powerful Mother Nature can be. As for the internet speeds, it wasn't so bad on rev. 0 with the BB, so if Rev. A is even better than verizon's for the most part that's good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racemepls View Post
Oh and when your phone arrives search or pm me and I have some great, easy to install cabs for you.
Thanks! That'd be great. It's supposed to come either today or tomorrow, but when I asked for a tracking #, my sprint rep said he was having trouble finding the order, so I might not get it until the weekend or even *gasp* next week! I cannot wait any longer the suspense is killin me!

And to think I was |----| this close to getting the Hero....
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2009, 05:45 PM
mathiass's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter
Location: TEXAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 111
Reputation: 75
mathiass is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to mathiass
Re: Stormchasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Verizon is CDMA so you should be able to roam on verizon network if sprint network is not present. If you want better signal, airwave may help.

As for GSM, most carriers have pay as you go plans.

Nothing live is faster then Rev A other then 4g and the improved HSDPA(presumably)
Alrighty thanks good to know.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2009, 05:51 PM
racemepls's Avatar
Halfway to VIP Status
Offline
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Sprint
Location: pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 629
Reputation: 885
racemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Stormchasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathiass View Post
I feel ya man. I've loved weather every since I was a little kid. I just love how dynamic and powerful Mother Nature can be. As for the internet speeds, it wasn't so bad on rev. 0 with the BB, so if Rev. A is even better than verizon's for the most part that's good!



Thanks! That'd be great. It's supposed to come either today or tomorrow, but when I asked for a tracking #, my sprint rep said he was having trouble finding the order, so I might not get it until the weekend or even *gasp* next week! I cannot wait any longer the suspense is killin me!

And to think I was |----| this close to getting the Hero....
Haha you should've seen when the TP2 first came out. There's a whole 1000 post thread on people who had no clue when thier TP2 would arrive. I want to give storm chasing a try this spring. I'm already ahead of the game as I seen two tornadoes already('98 and '02) in Pittsburgh of all places. It's literally like the finger of God.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2009, 06:02 PM
mathiass's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter
Location: TEXAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 111
Reputation: 75
mathiass is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to mathiass
Re: Stormchasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by racemepls View Post
Haha you should've seen when the TP2 first came out. There's a whole 1000 post thread on people who had no clue when thier TP2 would arrive. I want to give storm chasing a try this spring. I'm already ahead of the game as I seen two tornadoes already('98 and '02) in Pittsburgh of all places. It's literally like the finger of God.
Haha dayum 1000 posts that's crazy.

You should give it a try. Just make sure you spend some time planning it and don't do anything too stupid hah. I have yet to see a tornado, I'm hoping next season will be my lucky one!
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Reply

  PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com