PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Re: Has the GPS lag problem been fixed with custom roms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by igl007 View Post
Simply NOT true... Using Tom Tom on 4 seperate Verizon TP2's, and the GPS Gate fix running in the background has all but cured my problem. The lag with Tom Tom was at least 5-10 seconds behind and now is 1 second behind. I don't care how fast I'm going on the Highway that is good enough to not miss any turns. I agree the core problem might be hardware related, but CLEARLY software makes it usable.
i never said software didn't make it usable, hence why i said iGO8 works great for me its "usually" only lagging by 15 meters, that's negligible. i said there will always be lag in the GPS as its a hardware issue. Like ive stated my Bluetooth GPS receiver has zero lag with no screwing around no gps gate and not tweaks. why? because its a better chipset.

so me saying the lag is caused ultimately by a hardware issue, and no amount of software will rid you of it completely is simply VERY true.

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
Old 11-10-2009, 06:38 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo_X View Post
me saying the lag is caused ultimately by a hardware issue, and no amount of software will rid you of it completely is simply VERY true.
I totally agree.

I have two BT GPS units & if I use either of them I get no lag whatever.

~John
Old 11-10-2009, 06:50 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Quote:
cuz the Carrier nav software uses aGPS as well as gps. and its also specially written to use there aGPS servers as well. PS: Telus nav also lags.

You can argue, but its the truth. how i proved my point? i used a Bluetooth Palm GPS receiver and i get no lag.
aGPS will not help on lag, aGPS just assists in finding your location so it can find the sats quickly. The only thing that gets an accurate location is the sats. You are correct that some apps do trigger using aGPS while others do not. But that will only effect initial lock speed.

There are different ways to access the GPS. If an application uses the WM GPS API it will work fine. If it uses a COM port it will lag. This has been an issue on WM 6.1 for a very long time (maybe WM 6.5 too). GPS Gate (as well as other tools solve it).

There may be another slight lag due to hardware or hardware settings. But the major lag is folks using apps that use COM port directly. This same topic comes up on every new HTC WM mobile phone for the last 2 years. And I doubt anything has changed other than the crop of users using WM 6.1 HTC phone.

Last edited by mswlogo; 11-10-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 - Verizon

igl007 is keeping up the good workigl007 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to igl007 Send a message via AIM to igl007 Send a message via MSN to igl007 Send a message via Yahoo to igl007 Send a message via Skype™ to igl007

Quote:
i never said software didn't make it usable, hence why i said iGO8 works great for me its "usually" only lagging by 15 meters, that's negligible. i said there will always be lag in the GPS as its a hardware issue. Like ive stated my Bluetooth GPS receiver has zero lag with no screwing around no gps gate and not tweaks. why? because its a better chipset.

so me saying the lag is caused ultimately by a hardware issue, and no amount of software will rid you of it completely is simply VERY true.
I should of written my post to sound less attacking. I apologize for that.
I was just trying to illustrate that even though the hardware is flawed, software can be written to "Cure" the problem. Cure being a relative word in the first place. Cure in this case meaning usable to the end user. You can never say no lag on any device, as there is lag with everything, it just may be negligible as you put it.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Retired Staff

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by igl007 View Post
I should of written my post to sound less attacking. I apologize for that.
I was just trying to illustrate that even though the hardware is flawed, software can be written to "Cure" the problem. Cure being a relative word in the first place. Cure in this case meaning usable to the end user. You can never say no lag on any device, as there is lag with everything, it just may be negligible as you put it.
no problem i didn't feel you were attacking me. issue is the lag shows its ugly face on occasion when using internal gps :P even with software tweaks.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

abuttino is a n00b

Sounds like the titan and vogue are still the best for internal GPS.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuttino View Post
Sounds like the titan and vogue are still the best for internal GPS.
i still use my vogue for this reason.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: -VZW-

shmackitup is just getting started

I'm using TomTom with the Juicy R2 Rom and there is NO LAG anymore, never!!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:40 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

wildcard is a n00b

Use quickGPS, that fixed my lag issues. set it it auto update
Old 11-11-2009, 06:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: sprint

lfrp is just getting started

I changed my tp2 for another one hoping that this one was going to work better, but still this one has the same problem with gps.

a question for Juggalo_X, i also have a bluetooth palm GPS receiver, but i tried to connect it to my tp2 the other day but couldnt do it, can you explain to me how to do it? or a link? thanks...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2