PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Backup contacts on storage card? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=95751)

skillzo1 11-10-2009 10:49 AM

Backup contacts on storage card?

is there a way to do thes then reinstall after flashing to a new rom? i would use active synce but i dont have microsoft outlook on my computer.

fr0st 11-10-2009 11:29 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

seach for pimbackup. it will backup contacts to your sd card

subzero1313 11-10-2009 11:49 AM

Re: Backup contacts on storage card?

Been using SPB backup since my Mogul, free trial version. But I paid $30 for the full. Money well spent

Hypnotic2010 11-10-2009 12:04 PM

Your contacts are stored in a file called Pim.vol in main memory. Copy that file to your storage card to backup contacts.

dmb60614 11-10-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fr0st (Post 1315464)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

seach for pimbackup. it will backup contacts to your sd card

i'll second this. very easy to use and its free. you can set it to create backups on a regular interval.

Adrianh85 11-10-2009 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by skillzo1 (Post 1315442)
is there a way to do thes then reinstall after flashing to a new rom? i would use active synce but i dont have microsoft outlook on my computer.

here use this
its FDCSoft's PIM backup but a older verison some of the newer verizons have problems so i use this one

imnuts 11-10-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypnotic2010 (Post 1315511)
Your contacts are stored in a file called Pim.vol in main memory. Copy that file to your storage card to backup contacts.

This will work provided the ROM is the same basic version (ie. 6.5 -> 6.5, or 6.1 -> 6.1), but I've heard that people have had issues if they try to go between OS versions, like 6.1 -> 6.5. Not sure if that's true or not, but just a word of caution when using this method. Personally, I'd use FDCSoft's PIM backup like others recommended.

kern417 11-10-2009 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by imnuts (Post 1315572)
This will work provided the ROM is the same basic version (ie. 6.5 -> 6.5, or 6.1 -> 6.1), but I've heard that people have had issues if they try to go between OS versions, like 6.1 -> 6.5. Not sure if that's true or not, but just a word of caution when using this method. Personally, I'd use FDCSoft's PIM backup like others recommended.

I use Sprite Backup it backs up everything and when you restore you can choose what you want to restore including pim.vol or all you're settings it just depends on what you want and it restores 3 different ways depending on if it's the same or different rom etc. try it out

skillzo1 11-10-2009 01:54 PM

thank you everyone will be thanked when i get home to my laptop. spbackup seemed to work fine.

one more question though...should the backup on files work after i install another rom? i want to install the juicy rom.

imnuts 11-10-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skillzo1 (Post 1315850)
one more question though...should the backup on files work after i install another rom? i want to install the juicy rom.

It depends on what the files were. Ringtones, documents, music, and basically everything that goes into the "My Documents" folder should be fine. If you're backing up programs or manila files, it could cause problems, especially with manila if you aren't going to the same version, like trying to replace manila 2.1 files with 2.5. Programs could be difficult because programs tend to have registry entries they need to run properly that get set when installed. I think that SPB Backup has a "ROM Upgrade" option from what I've seen that can potentially limit some issues, but I know that others have had problems doing a full restore and posted in the MightyROM thread about it.