PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 01:45 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to WisdomWolfX
Why are we still using Rapidshare and Megaupload?

I don't understand why we are still relying on crazy services like rapidshare and megaupload to share big files like ROMS. They usually don't work from the device, are slow, and the advertisements can be a bit annoying for all involved. I would like to suggest that cooks use something like sugarsync. I would love if they used me as a referral, but that's not important.

You can generate public links so that people can download files directly (ppc friendly and no ads) and it can be used as a sort of backup. Anyone can create a free account that has 2GB of storage.

In the meantime, I'd be more than happy to host the ROMs on my account so that the cooks can post direct links without the hassle of creating/maintaining another account. Just PM me if you want me to host your ROM and I'll set it up and send back a link for you to post within 24 hours.

Here's an example of the way the downloads work:
Calkulin's Touch Pro2 23506 Manila 2.5 ROM

Jumped ship for Android now that WM is officially useless.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Quiksmage is becoming a great contributor
Re: Why are we still using Rapidshare and Megaupload?

I see the bigger issue when a highly sought after rom comes out and people are bottlenecking the connection, though I do not know of your server's stats.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:12 AM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx

Most people dont want to pay for service, or they don't realise how cheap it is to get their own domain. I bought alexauv.com and the hosting for $50 for a year from dreamhost. I get unlimited downloads storage and a fast server. This is a lot cheaper than megaupload or rapidshare and its much better.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:18 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep

It's not my server. I'm using sugarsync. I pay monthly for 30GB of storage so I can sync/backup files between my laptop, netbook, and desktop. But you can get a free account with 2GB of storage easily.

Either way you can share individual files with a public link (like the one above) or you can share a whole folder of files, but other people have to have an account to view it. I intend to download most of the ROMS here to a single folder which I'll share for easy access by SS users later.

I wonder if I'm making this too confusing. Let me know if you have questions or if I need to re-explain.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:22 AM
Mobileunderground.info

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX View Post
It's not my server. I'm using sugarsync. I pay monthly for 30GB of storage so I can sync/backup files between my laptop, netbook, and desktop. But you can get a free account with 2GB of storage easily.

Either way you can share individual files with a public link (like the one above) or you can share a whole folder of files, but other people have to have an account to view it. I intend to download most of the ROMS here to a single folder which I'll share for easy access by SS users later.

I wonder if I'm making this too confusing. Let me know if you have questions or if I need to re-explain.
I realise that, i was stating that getting your own host/domain seems to be the best/cheapest way. You dont have a limit to storage or bandwidth. How much do you pay for 30gb of storage?
Old 11-18-2009, 02:26 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

$5/month. But in my case the primary use is the sync between multiple computers with versioning. I just discovered the public links feature and thought it would be a perfect way to solve the problem of ad supported third-party download services. Just trying to find a way to give back to the community since I don't have the time/patience to create a quality ROM like I'd like to.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:31 AM
Mobileunderground.info

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX View Post
$5/month. But in my case the primary use is the sync between multiple computers with versioning. I just discovered the public links feature and thought it would be a perfect way to solve the problem of ad supported third-party download services. Just trying to find a way to give back to the community since I don't have the time/patience to create a quality ROM like I'd like to.
If you want to go with dreamhost, its a little over $4 a month if you pay for a year. I am just saying this would be the best way at least for me. How much bandwidth do you have for it?
Old 11-18-2009, 02:38 AM
AWESOME VIP Member!!
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 - SIM & HSPL unlocked
Carrier: Verizon

WhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuff

I use MMHosting. They are pretty good.

I just want to put this out ther... DO NOT!!!!!! DO NOT use IIC Internet. They are just unbelievable incompetent. Servers go down often, with no urgency for repair, they are run out of... you guessed it - India. I had an online business nearly go out of business because of them (long story, but true).
Old 11-18-2009, 02:40 AM
Mobileunderground.info

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBlazer01 View Post
I use MMHosting. They are pretty good.

I just want to put this out ther... DO NOT!!!!!! DO NOT use IIC Internet. They are just unbelievable incompetent. Servers go down often, with no urgency for repair, they are run out of... you guessed it - India. I had an online business nearly go out of business because of them (long story, but true).
Haven't had any issues with dreamhost either. I host a few roms here also. I know psyki has dreamhost too and hosts silence roms, or at least used too.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:06 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeandestroyx View Post
If you want to go with dreamhost, its a little over $4 a month if you pay for a year. I am just saying this would be the best way at least for me. How much bandwidth do you have for it?
Unlimited bandwidth, but it's only a storage platform. I can't host a site or anything off it. It is handsdown the best sync service I've seen. It's like dropbox but better with a touch of awesome.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2