PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   using GV number as primary (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=95707)

abdeviation 11-10-2009 01:23 AM

Wirelessly posted (Sprint Touch Pro 2: Opera/9.5(Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en) HTC_Touch_Pro2)

i would love to do this but one thing does not work properly

when someone sends me a text to my GV number, when it arrives at my cell phone, the phone number is some random google number. the actual person sending it is identified within the body of the message. this obviously is not how it should work... has anyone figured out a fix?

apristel 11-10-2009 01:31 AM

Re: using GV number as primary

I think that is how it works. You can reply to that text from GV and it goes to who sent it.

Yeah in a perfect world it would seem like the original sender sent you the text, but they didn't.. they texted your GV #, which in turn texted you the original text....follow?

annoying i know.

My solution is to just have my contacts on GV then it says who its from...

abdeviation 11-10-2009 01:55 AM

Wirelessly posted (Sprint Touch Pro 2: Opera/9.5(Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en) HTC_Touch_Pro2)

This pretty much breaks all those cool threaded conversations and the new manila where it shows you all the texts you got from a person from within that contacts detailed info page...not sure if you kknow what im talking about.

seems like it should be a simple fix though...i mean voice calls show up as the caller's Id, not google's. This is definitely the only thing keeping me from giving out my GV number instead of my actual number

SundayDuffer 11-10-2009 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apristel (Post 1314794)
I think that is how it works. You can reply to that text from GV and it goes to who sent it.

Yeah in a perfect world it would seem like the original sender sent you the text, but they didn't.. they texted your GV #, which in turn texted you the original text....follow?

annoying i know.

What app do you use for GV?

tallblazer124 11-10-2009 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apristel (Post 1314794)

annoying i know.

+1 for this. Also GVO dialer is great program to use with Google voice.

apristel 11-10-2009 02:58 AM

I don't use a GV app.

I have my voicemail thru there and thats it.

I was lucky though and got my GV # to be almost identical to my real number just the first three #'s are different. Easy to remember.

SundayDuffer 11-10-2009 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallblazer124 (Post 1314993)
+1 for this. Also GVO dialer is great program to use with Google voice.

thankyou.

shaggylive 11-10-2009 03:24 AM

this reminds me, I have to set the gvSMS# as a contacts mobile number so I can txt from any contact list, but it's annoying. does wm6.5 offer more control over which phone# is a contacts sms#?
did google think of this for android?

I'm surprised I haven't seen more about this since europe's had sms to landlines for years.

nanoware 11-10-2009 03:42 AM

btw do you have any spare invites, i would love one and would really appreciate it...