PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 03:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

Ender519 is keeping up the good workEnder519 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy VERIZON users on Custom Rom's - annoying voice-only network notification??

I'm looking to get a better handle on who else is having this problem.

If you are a Verizon TP2 user and load a Custom ROM (I use MightyROM but I have seen other ROM's like Juicy referenced for the same issue) what happens when you roam outside of EVDO coverage areas (By ROAMING I mean no longer on VZW towers)

I get this really annoying pop up message every few seconds that says the following:

Quote:
"Device is registering on a voice service only network. Data services are currently unavailable."
The entire screen dims and this message pops up to the top, which means you must get rid of it to do anything else on the phone. The message will continue to come up every few seconds, forcing you to constantly OK this message in order to use the phone.. but realistically this makes the phone unusable. No one has yet found a way to disable this notification.

This doesn't appear to be unique to a particular ROM.. therefore my theory is there is something amiss with the kitchens being used to create these ROM's.

In either case, on the stock Verizon ROM you have three options, Automatic A, Automatic B, and Home Only. On the custom ROM's there appear to be only two options, Standard and Home Only. I don't know if this is the smoking gun or not, but what I do know is that using custom ROM's on the original Touch Pro, I had three options for Network Service but all the Touch Pro 2 ROM's seem to have only the two.

If you are affected by this, you won't know until you roam out of EVDO coverage and into 1x territory. I got surprised by it when trying to use my phone for GPS, which this stupid message basically stopped me from being able to do. As it stands now, if I had to use the phone as GPS again in the near future, I would have to flash back to stock. I have tried hard resetting my device and tried a couple of ROM's while in the problem area and they all have the same symptom - this was with nothing installed except the carrier provisioning CAB, fresh from a hard reset. I have also confirmed that I do NOT get this message with stock ROM.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm not getting anywhere in the Custom ROM threads and there were a couple of threads about it here in the main section but they quickly got buried. I'm guessing that since you don't see the problem until you roam, and EVDO coverage is so good, the TP2 is so new, as is the ability to flash it, that perhaps there aren't THAT many people who have actually seen this error yet.. but I'd love to get this fixed or get an idea what's causing it so there is at least a workaround. I'd hate for someone to get an ugly surprise like I did.

Last edited by Ender519; 11-24-2009 at 03:58 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85
Re: VERIZON users on Custom Rom's - annoying voice-only network notification??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender519 View Post
I'm looking to get a better handle on who else is having this problem.

If you are a Verizon TP2 user and load a Custom ROM (I use MightyROM but I have seen other ROM's like Juicy referenced for the same issue) what happens when you roam outside of EVDO coverage areas?

I get this really annoying pop up message every few seconds that says the following:

The entire screen dims and this message pops up to the top, which means you must get rid of it to do anything else on the phone. The message will continue to come up every few seconds, forcing you to constantly OK this message in order to use the phone.. but realistically this makes the phone unusable. No one has yet found a way to disable this notification.

This doesn't appear to be unique to a particular ROM.. therefore my theory is there is something amiss with the kitchens being used to create these ROM's.

In either case, on the stock Verizon ROM you have three options, Automatic A, Automatic B, and Home Only. On the custom ROM's there appear to be only two options, Standard and Home Only. I don't know if this is the smoking gun or not, but what I do know is that using custom ROM's on the original Touch Pro, I had three options for Network Service but all the Touch Pro 2 ROM's seem to have only the two.

If you are affected by this, you won't know until you roam out of EVDO coverage and into 1x territory. I got surprised by it when trying to use my phone for GPS, which this stupid message basically stopped me from being able to do. As it stands now, if I had to use the phone as GPS again in the near future, I would have to flash back to stock. I have tried hard resetting my device and tried a couple of ROM's while in the problem area and they all have the same symptom - this was with nothing installed, fresh from a hard reset. I have also confirmed that I do NOT get this message with stock ROM.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm not getting anywhere in the Custom ROM threads and there were a couple of threads about it here in the main section but they quickly got buried. I'm guessing that since you don't see the problem until you roam, and EVDO coverage is so good, the TP2 is so new, as is the ability to flash it, that perhaps there aren't THAT many people who have actually seen this error yet.. but I'd love to get this fixed or get an idea what's causing it so there is at least a workaround. I'd hate for someone to get an ugly surprise like I did.
u might need to load the carrier cab on your device!

Old 11-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

janko10 is keeping up the good workjanko10 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianh85 View Post
u might need to load the carrier cab on your device!
No that's not it.

I'm not personally having this problem cause I'm pretty much engulfed by VZW towers but I know what he's talking about.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by janko10 View Post
No that's not it.

I'm not personally having this problem cause I'm pretty much engulfed by VZW towers but I know what he's talking about.
What he said. TO BE CLEAR, I am hard resetting the device, loading the carrier provisioning CAB, and testing in a 1x area.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85

Quote:
Originally Posted by janko10 View Post
No that's not it.

well i also use mighymike rom and a half mile while walking to the pentagon u lose 3g coverage and only can access 1x! i have never seen this nofication! voice data and txt still work on my device but its just slow(internet that is)! the only thing i have done special to my phone is hspl, sim unlock, and deleted all setting in the service programming that deal with dun(so they cant see teathering)!!
op please post these settings:
prl:
rom verison and date:
radio verison:

Last edited by Adrianh85; 11-24-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

janko10 is keeping up the good workjanko10 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianh85 View Post
well i also use mighymike rom and a half mile while walking to the pentagon u lose 3g coverage and only can access 1x! i have never seen this nofication! voice data and txt still work on my device but its just slow(internet that is)! the only thing i have done special to my phone is hspl, sim unlock, and deleted all setting in the service programming that deal with dun(so they cant see teathering)!!
op please post these settings:
prl:
rom verison and date:
radio verison:
You might lose 3G but you're probably still on a VZW tower. I also haven't experience this but like I said that's cause I'm always on VZW towers. Think this only happens when you're roaming on another tower.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

As requested here is my Radio and ROM versions.

And janko10 has a very good point. You have to be ROAMING in order to see this error. In my case, I was traveling in the boondocks in US Cellular territory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rom_radio.jpg (78.0 KB, 92 views) Click for barcode!
Old 11-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

that miek be a radio error popping up not rm specific... VZW radio specific... as i dont get this when im in a 1x area.

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
Old 11-24-2009, 04:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo_X View Post
that miek be a radio error popping up not rm specific... VZW radio specific... as i dont get this when im in a 1x area.
I believe it only affects devices on VZW network, while roaming on non-VZW towers in 1x mode. That might sound like it wouldn't happen very often, but next time you try a road trip of a few hours and get outside metro areas you'd be surprised!

It only happens on custom ROM's, and thus I think that Verizon isn't being 100% provisioned properly or the kitchen is flawed. Remember those Automatic-A and Automatic-B settings? I no longer have those.. When on stock ROM, I have to be on Automatic-B, as Automatic-A will cause issues, and VZW tells you to do this in my area. Thus, since I only have two options for CDMA Network Service in custom ROM's, that is where I suspect the issue lies. I do not believe it is specific to a certain custom ROM but I believe most if not all custom ROM's are affected.

Last edited by Ender519; 11-24-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender519 View Post
I believe it only affects devices on VZW network, while roaming on non-VZW towers in 1x mode. That might sound like it wouldn't happen very often, but next time you try a road trip of a few hours and get outside metro areas you'd be surprised!

It only happens on custom ROM's, and thus I think that Verizon isn't being 100% provisioned properly or the kitchen is flawed. Remember those Automatic-A and Automatic-B settings? I no longer have those.. When on stock ROM, I have to be on Automatic-B, as Automatic-A will cause issues, and VZW tells you to do this in my area. Thus, since I only have two options for CDMA Network Service in custom ROM's, that is where I suspect the issue lies. I do not believe it is specific to a certain custom ROM but I believe most if not all custom ROM's are affected.
ill send u a link to my rom to test before i go public. install my provisioning cab via my app in connections and test.

im in 1x all the time at home. i dont get this.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2