PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 09:37 AM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
prevent landscape when physical keyboard deploys

I know, I know ... there are tons of threads out there that are related but not exactly specific to this particular issue.

Our device (Touch Pro 2) has some very nice features. The gsensor and keyboard are two which come in very handy ... sometimes.

I can disable the gsensor autorotate or remove manila from the whitelist, which prevents the screen from flipping back and forth between portrait to landscape, based on the physical orientation of the phone.

I can disable the slidewakeup feature, which eliminates the issue where holster magnets will wake up the phone.

- = HOWEVER = -

If I am receiving a call, have received a SMS/MMS, or a reminder alert has occurred while the phone is in the holster, these events have appropriately and as expected and desired, brought the phone out of sleep.

What occurs at this point is that I reach for the phone and as I pull it out of my holster, the phone orients to landscape, because the software perceives that keyboard has been opened up, due to the magnets in my holster. The phone does some strange stuff, I wait for it to finish going from portrait to landscape back to portrait and then ... if the phone call hasn't gone to voice mail, I can answer.

So, I need one more tweak ...

Again, to recap:
I have successfully disabled auto-rotate based on gsensor and this is working. This is working perfectly.
Code:
HKCU/Software/HTC/HTCSensor/GSensor
"AutoRotation"=dword:0
I have successfully disabled the slide action of the keyboard from waking up the phone. This is working perfectly.
Code:
HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\KEYBD\
"SlideWakeup"=dword:0
These two tweaks are doing exactly what I expect and now I need and additional tweak. The third tweak that I am looking for needs to prevent screen-rotation from portrait to landscape when the hard-keyboard is deployed.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: prevent landscape when physical keyboard deploys

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsie View Post
These two tweaks are doing exactly what I expect and now I need and additional tweak. The third tweak that I am looking for needs to prevent screen-rotation from portrait to landscape when the hard-keyboard is deployed.

Best regards,
-boggsie
you realize if you do this, coupled with your other tweaks, youll never have landscape again right?

opening keyboard wont rotate it, nor will auto rotate... so unless you program a key somewhere to "rotate screen", landscape wont ever show
Old 07-12-2010, 10:34 AM
b00nsquad
Threadstarter

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
you realize if you do this, coupled with your other tweaks, youll never have landscape again right?

opening keyboard wont rotate it, nor will auto rotate... so unless you program a key somewhere to "rotate screen", landscape wont ever show
Well, I'll never have automatic/unexpected landscape, which by some folks estimation, is borderline bizarre, but this is exactly what I am looking to do.

Opera 9.7 will still (should) autorotate based on it's independent input/interaction with gsensor and teeter will (should) still work.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 07-12-2010, 11:16 AM
The Dyslexic VIP

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

you wont be able to text or type an email in landscape though because you disabled the keyboard>landscape... something to think about
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:38 AM
b00nsquad
Threadstarter

Quote:
you wont be able to text or type an email in landscape though because you disabled the keyboard>landscape... something to think about
That's a great point to clarify. I don't intend or desire to disable the keyboard. I intend to prevent the keyboard opening from automatically toggling the device display mode from portrait to landscape.

If I use my shortcut (application) to manually toggle the device display from portrait to landscape, I still expect the keyboard to work when I press on the keys.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 AM
The Dyslexic VIP

right, so when you flip open the kyboard to text, the msg screen will stay in portrait.. youll need to assign a key to "rotate screen" is all
Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

tahlsr is becoming a great contributor

Good luck to you. I've been wishing for years there was a way to disable going to landscape on keyboard slideout in Windows Mobile. There are other threads about this issue but no real solutions. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:31 PM
b00nsquad
Threadstarter

Quote:
right, so when you flip open the kyboard to text, the msg screen will stay in portrait.. youll need to assign a key to "rotate screen" is all
Thanks for confirming ... again, I understand that most folks reading this probably think I have a screw coming loose or ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahlsr View Post
Good luck to you. I've been wishing for years there was a way to disable going to landscape on keyboard slideout in Windows Mobile. There are other threads about this issue but no real solutions. Sorry I can't be of more help.
I'm going to put on my "Captain of the Obvious" costume ... this has to be picked up by a driver and if there is a driver, then there must be a way to ignore / disable that driver functionality. Of course, if it has been around for a long, long time, it could be so imbedded or low-level in the OS that registry entries to disable were never implemented. In that case, the sensor is probably part of the PCB so disconnecting a wire probably won't work, either.

Thanks for the discussion ... still looking.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 07-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

tahlsr is becoming a great contributor

This is the best reg entry anyone has ever come up with. It forces the phone to think your camera is active so then doesn't change screen orientation. I believe it clears at soft reset so you could make a cab that autoloads at startup. Some users reported issues in Opera when enabled etc... I don't know of the entire list of side effects or if there are any.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\Rotation
"CamAppActive"=dword:00000001
Old 07-12-2010, 02:00 PM
b00nsquad
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahlsr View Post
This is the best reg entry anyone has ever come up with. It forces the phone to think your camera is active so then doesn't change screen orientation. I believe it clears at soft reset so you could make a cab that autoloads at startup. Some users reported issues in Opera when enabled etc... I don't know of the entire list of side effects or if there are any.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\Rotation
"CamAppActive"=dword:00000001
This will be a very interesting thing to bring to closure.

I am seeing all kinds of results when searching for that reg key, including options to turn on and off (on the fly) with mortscript, which would help to overcome any application based incompatibilities.

Thanks so much!

Best regards,
-boggsie

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2