PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Telesales Launch Day H/W Rev.)
Carrier: Sprint PCS

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Registry change not sticking? (ForceCellConnection)

EDIT: Partial solution found. See post #7 of this thread.

Ok, so I finally got a generic screen protector on the phone while I wait for a real case and got it activated on my account.

I used Total Commander and went into HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\ and deleted the value data for 'Extension'. (In other words, the key is still there, but it's blank.)

Then I went a level deeper, to \Settings. In there, I completely deleted the 'ForceCellConnection' key.

I waited 15 minuted, exited Total Commander, and turned the phone off and back on. When it came back up, the ForceCellConnection' key was back. The 'Extension' key was still blank.

I've tried this several times, no luck. I can get it temporarily working by deleting the key and launching Internet Sharing without rebooting the phone.

Any ideas to fix this?

In \Windows\Startup I did see a link for HTCStartup.lnk (I think that's what it was..)
Thinking that it might be some piece of HTC code such as HTC_CM_Guardian, I created a folder in the StartUp folder named Disabled and move the HTC link to it. Upon reboot, I got an error that the folder 'Disabled' was not signed and could not be executed. Good. But the registry changes still would not stick.

Last edited by SweetBearCub; 09-10-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added 'partial solution found' blurb.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Re: Registry change not sticking? (ForceCellConnection)

I recommend using phm regeditor instead of total commander. I have had much better luck editing the registry with it. I have heard of this happening before with TC.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
I recommend using phm regeditor instead of total commander. I have had much better luck editing the registry with it. I have heard of this happening before with TC.
Umm, you sure? The latest version of PHM Registry Editor I found is 0.70 and it's almost 7 years old...
Old 09-10-2009, 01:41 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

why r u editing the reg??? ics works right out of the box
Old 09-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
why r u editing the reg??? ics works right out of the box
Not for me. It errors out with error 67 username/password failure. I do not have PAM on my account, and need to use the 'Sprint' connection instead of 'Phone as Modem'. Stock ICS doesn't allow this, due to to that 'ForceCellConnection' key. I tried changing the key data to 'Sprint', but it's back to 'Phone As Modem' after a reboot, the same as when I try to delete it.

Something is either overriding my change, or TC isn't making the change correctly, although I find it odd that all the other registry changes I've made (such as erasing the value for the 'Extension' key) works..
Old 09-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

jimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I have exactly the same problems- see the thread here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=83581 and some of my posts in the hacks sticky- I can temporarily tether after changing the forcecellconnection key but then it reverts back!
Here are some of my posts:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=30
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=310

Last edited by jimmyz; 09-10-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Exclamation Partial solution found

Ok, I found a partial answer to this problem.

You can stop the "HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings\ForceCellConne ction\" key from re-appearing (or reverting back to the default value) if you run DotFRED's Task Manager, move to the Services tab, and press and hold "HTC CM Guardian" for a pop-up menu of options. In the menu, choose "Set Manual". Soft-reset the phone and the key will stop reverting.

Note that if you don't want to have to keep choosing "Sprint" in the "Network Connection" drop-down in Internet Sharing, you are free to change the value of "ForceCellConnection" to "Sprint", instead of deleting it.

However, this does not stop the "Error 67" (Incorrect username/password) error from appearing. So far the only way I have found to prevent it is to open Pocket Internet Explorer (or initiate a data connection some other way) before clicking 'Connect' in Internet Sharing. I thought clearing the HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Extension\" key would do the trick, but apparently not.

Any ideas on solving this last part of the problem are welcome.

If this post helped you, please don't forget to click the 'Thanks' button.

Last edited by SweetBearCub; 09-10-2009 at 03:33 PM.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker

jimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Partial solution found

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
Ok, I found a partial answer to this problem.

You can stop the "HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings\ForceCellConne ction\" key from re-appearing (or reverting back to the default value) if you run DotFRED's Task Manager, move to the Services tab, and press and hold "HTC CM Guardian" for a pop-up menu of options. In the menu, choose "Set Manual". Soft-reset the phone and the key will stop reverting.

Note that if you don't want to have to keep choosing "Sprint" in the "Network Connection" drop-down in Internet Sharing, you are free to change the value of "ForceCellConnection" to "Sprint", instead of deleting it.

However, this does not stop the "Error 67" (Incorrect username/password) error from appearing. So far the only way I have found to prevent it is to open Pocket Internet Explorer (or initiate a data connection some other way) before clicking 'Connect' in Internet Sharing. I thought clearing the HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Extension\" key would do the trick, but apparently not.

Any ideas on solving this last part of the problem are welcome.

If this post helped you, please don't forget to click the 'Thanks' button.
Sweetbear- did you try all three registry changes:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
Extension="" Delete the "isext.dll" entry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing\settings]
ForceCellConnection="Sprint"

MaxCMCon=0
Old 09-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
Sweetbear- did you try all three registry changes:

Extension="" Delete the "isext.dll" entry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing\settings]
ForceCellConnection="Sprint"

MaxCMCon=0
Yes, I tried all of those standard changes last night. They all "took", except for the one that involved changing or deleting the "ForceCellConnection" key. If you look at my original post, I specifically called this out as the problem. I have no issue with any other registry edits.

Though I'm scratching my head wondering why you posted these 3 registry edits, asking if I tried them. They're already listed in the stickied "Touch Pro 2 Tweaks, Hacks, Tips & Modifications" thread, and you also already linked to the single post with these edits.

Last edited by SweetBearCub; 09-10-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
Yes, I tried all of those standard changes last night. They all "took", except for the one that involved changing or deleting the "ForceCellConnection" key. If you look at my original post, I specifically called this out as the problem. I have no issue with any other registry edits.

Though I'm scratching my head wondering why you posted these 3 registry edits, asking if I tried them. They're already listed in the stickied "Touch Pro 2 Tweaks, Hacks, Tips & Modifications" thread, and you also already linked to the single post with these edits.
I ask because I am a pain in the a** and want to get this fixed- also I thought for some reason that the adding the maxcon key somehow took care of the problem where you had to have an active data connection before you hit connect

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2