PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: att

Geosync is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tried to unzip a file and all my mem disappered

Hey guys hows it going? I was hoping maybe one of you could help me out. Earlier today I was trying to unzip a file containing some mp3s (45mb worth). I just got my touch pro 2 ( tilt 2) and I havnt installed any unziping programs so I was using the default winmo unzipper. I had downloaded the zipped file to my storage card and I also designated it to unpack to the storage card. I clicked unzip and after a minute or so I recived a warning the my phones storage memory not the storage card was nearly full. Before this process started I had 90mb free. I checked the memory and it was indeed now full. I figured maybe I had less then I thought and unpacked to the wrong location but i couldnt find the file anywhere other then the still zipped file. And then to make it worse when I tried to delete a program that was saved to my phone to give my phone some breathing room the memory indicator didnt change and was still displaying that I had no memory.

Anyway any help would be great , I tried using the search but couldnt find much. Thanks in advance .
Old 11-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Tried to unzip a file and all my mem disappered

have you checked all the folders in the device memory?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Geosync is a n00b

Yes , I have. Ive also used the search function and looked up "mp3" and sucsessfully found every one of my mp3 files . But nothing in terms of the files i was trying to unzip. Any ideas or should I just reset my phone?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: AT&T

krohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

The default zip program is most likely unpacking the files to a temp location on the device storage and then moving the extracted files to the destination (storage card) - now finding that location to clean up may be a pita - they likely don't have the filename/extension you are expecting either.

You can check \Application Data\Volatile and see if zipview created a folder there.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Geosync is a n00b

Ah ok ,thats what I was thinking. The only things is I was pretty sure I had enough device memory to be ok. But I could be wrong. Anyway I looked where you suggested and nothing in there. Good idea though..... any others? Thanks again btw.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:44 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Do a restore from last night's backup. You shouldn't need to hard reset or anything, and you can just leave the "System" box checked, and un-check the boxes for email, etc. If that doesn't work, you can run it again, but leave "My Documents" checked. In a worst case, hard-reset and do the full restore. Even if you have to go to this last step, you'll be back to normal with half an hour.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Geosync is a n00b

To be honest I have limited knowledge in doing back ups and restores due to being restricted by a business winmo phone. This is my first winmo pro device of my own.

So in order to restore I would of needed to back my device previously correct?

Last edited by Geosync; 11-09-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:31 AM
VIP Member

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosync View Post
To be honest I have limited knowledge in doing back ups and restores due to being restricted by a business winmo phone. This is my first winmo pro device of my own.

So in order to restore I would of needed to back my device previously correct?
Many of us use SPB Backup. You can download a trial in the box near the upper right hand corner of the screen. Most of the issues people have could be solved with proper "backup hygiene" by just "unwinding" back to where things work right again. On a day where I am installing lots of cabs, I do an extra backup between every few installs, plus I have a nightly one scheduled in the middle of the night. It ends with a automatic soft-reset, so that's an added benefit.

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/backup/?en
Old 11-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Geosync is a n00b

Ok cool that is what I needed to know, thank you for providing some information on back up software, I need to get in that habit.

But regarding this issue , is looks like a hard reset it going to be my only option unless I can find that duplicate mp3 . Would you agree? I found out also that the zipped file was 45 Mb but the mp3 inside was 95 Mb. So you guys were right , I ran out of space as it didn't extract straight to the memory card but first to my device. What I don't understand is why wouldn't there be a fail safe built in for a situation like that. Once zip view finds out its taken all my memory why wouldn't it just fail and remove the file and then notify me. Instead it doesn't share information about the location , never deletes the file and leaves my device kind of busted. That is a really poorly thought out process. Anyway any last ideas before I hard reset? Where could the file be what would it be called and why cant I find it ANYWHERE when its obviously there taking up me memory?

Anyway , again thanks to everyone for helping me out.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:51 AM
VIP Member

Probably the processor thinks of the storage card as the "poor stepchild", since it's not a fixed given, like the internal memory is. Nevertheless, it's a flaw. Maybe there is an .ini file or reg edit for the zip software to fix this

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2