PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

Trad01 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TP2 data plans on Verizon

Prob. a noob question, but I have searched this and other forums with no definitive answer. Verizon reps usually know less that I do about WinMo.

I have just ordered a TP2 and am new to WimMo. Had a BB storm, but liked the flexibility and customizations of WM and the keyboard. I also did not want to pay the BES added charge.

So for the TP2, I ordered the 29.99 data plan. Please tell me if the following is possible. I want to sync to my home computer outlook calendar and contacts -- I am fine using a wired sync every day or two as I will need to charge anyway. I can then do home email through a POP server on the basic data plan.

I also have a work exchange server (2003 I think). Would like to get email wirelessly from work, but likely would not sync calendar and contacts. Question is -- can I wirelessly syncemail with exchange on the 29.99 data plan, or will I need to use the OWA client? If I use OWA, what folders will sync wirelessly?

Last question -- what would the 44.99 data plan offer? Particularly if there are third party apps I might use instead?

Many thanks for your help. This is my first post but I am sure to be here often and pledge to support your work if I end up flashing a cooked ROM, etc.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

docmump is just getting started
Send a message via Yahoo to docmump
Re: TP2 data plans on Verizon

Quote:
I also have a work exchange server (2003 I think). Would like to get email wirelessly from work, but likely would not sync calendar and contacts. Question is -- can I wirelessly syncemail with exchange on the 29.99 data plan, or will I need to use the OWA client? If I use OWA, what folders will sync wirelessly?
Currently, I have the higher cost plan and connects to email using the OWA client. With that I can connect and get all four - calendar, contacts, email, and tasks. I do not download my contacts but i cannot live without the rest.

I to wonder if I am over paying with my bill but I do like the fact that I can download apps from the apps store for free, so that's a plus.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: xv6700 -> xv6800 -> xv6850(TP) -> TOUCH PRO 2!

ZuneNinja! is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZuneNinja! is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZuneNinja! is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZuneNinja! is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Trad01:
if you don't mind plugging in every day or to to sync your mail through outlook, then you only need the 29.99 plan. Also, what do you have for a mail provider, your own exchanger server, gmail, or what??

docmump
You ARE overpaying. Mail doesn't come from the OWA site, that is just a way to access it. It comes from an exchange server. You only need the 29.99 plan. Also, what free apps are you talking about?? Just search around at ppcgeeks for free, good, apps.

To be clear to you both. The only need for the 44.99 plan is if you wanted to sync actual files with a pc that doesn't have a server. Basically, no one needs that. Especially for an extra $15 a month.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:29 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Trophy, MANGO

MetalHd is just getting started

The extra $15 is to support exchange sync with push email, or MAPI. You can access your mail via POP3 or IMAP for the cheaper connection. These are scheduled pops, rather than push.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II in Hand
Carrier: VZW MR1 6.5

Tech Addiction knows their stuffTech Addiction knows their stuffTech Addiction knows their stuffTech Addiction knows their stuffTech Addiction knows their stuffTech Addiction knows their stuff

I have the higher plan as well and the best feture is I don't have to back up the phone prior to clearing storage. I just clear it and as soon as the home page loads I install VZW sync and hit sync. 2 min later I have all my contacts, calendar and email back on my phone just like it was before clearing. I don't think I could do without it after using it so long. Also I was told that the higher plan is not locked to the 5gb limit but I'm not positive though.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio

animez is keeping up the good workanimez is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35267; U; en; Presto/2.1.1))

I've been on the $29.99 plan for the better part of a year and sync my work email, contacts and calendar with push enabled wirelessly. I haven't plugged into my work computer in some time. I don't really see any advantage to the more expensive plan.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Katana
Carrier: Sprint

-Sin- is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to -Sin-

i was trying to get a SERO 500 from sprint, but i am having troubles getting the TOL transfered, would the verizon $30/month offer me basically the same?
Old 11-07-2009, 09:32 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

ravic is a n00b

Here is what i know and tested.

1. 29.99 plan

Works with POP3/IMAP
Works with Exchange Sync (Including Push email). You company admin should enable this functionality for you to be able to use exchange sync via internet.

2. 44.99 Plan

In addition to what was listed in 29.99 plan, It adds "push email" capability for practically any pop3/imap email account (Ex:Yahoo )
This plan is not needed if you exchange server is already setup to push email via internet.
This plan also adds PC Sync capability.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:37 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

dbrown2 is just getting started

I have the 29.99 plan and I have access to www.wirelesssync.vzw.com/
and if you have a gmail account you can setup active sync for free with them.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Katana
Carrier: Sprint

-Sin- is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to -Sin-

WTF is sync and tethering!??!?! i'm new to this smartphone world, i dont even own one yet actually, ive been seeing people talk about this sync n tether since i been here at ppc, WHAT IS IT?!?!?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2