PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 12:19 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just got a random restart... Has anyone else?

I sent a text message within the htc profile extender thing, hit ok, then my phone restarted on it's own.

What gives? Perhaps arcsoft stuff is interfering? This is on mighty rom, but I kind of thought I'd start a thread where people who witnessed a random restart could tell everyone what it was they were doing at the time of the event.

Anyone else have a similar story?

Edit:

As it turns out, there have been quite a few people reporting random restarts. Please respond with your radio version when you report your experience. We might be able to track this down.

So far, people have reported random restarts with everything from sitting still doing nothing, to being tracked via gps on google maps (which, when I think about it, could both be related to gps with the my location function.) There doesn't appear to be an apparent pattern here so far. My hunch is GPS/Radio. Please though, if you have a random restart experience, report it here with your radio version. (To check your radio version, go to your system settings, and look under device information (start>settings>system, or on stock rom start>settings>all settings>system.)

Edit again:

It seems mswlogo has found a possible solution:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
There was a problem with QuickGPS downloading bogus data that would cause any GPS application to reboot the phone.

To resolve it some folks put an stable xtra.bin in \Windows and \Temp with a CURRENT DATE. Disabled QuickGPS auto updates of ALL kinds. And reboot. Search diamond or touch pro forums for more info. It seems to have cleared up but the issue may still be lurking. It's very TIME dependent. Same data data file might be ok today broken tomorrow or visa versa.

GPS will work without up to date data from QuiockGPS it just may take a bit longer to lock.

You may have to set QuickGPS service to manual too.

Here is the Diamond thread

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...light=xtra.bin

Last edited by chronster; 11-15-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X

mikenerd is keeping up the good workmikenerd is keeping up the good work
Re: Just got a random restart... Has anyone else?

you had your coffee yet? The last couple of post Ive seen from you in the morning start out "I haven't had any coffee yet...." maybe you were dreaming.

i have not had any restarts on Mighty. I did have the little rotating hourglass thing go for about 15 seconds while I was writing an email last night. That and the screen not rotate once or twice. Other than that, solid
Old 11-03-2009, 01:00 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Ive had random restarts while using the WIFI Router, this is on both the Mighty Rom and Stock. I also once or twice had a restart while surfing(on noen mighty haven't surfed much on mighty yet) and another member also had restarts on surfing.

What is in common is usage of a connection so it might actually be the radio :/

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 11-03-2009, 01:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

madmax2k1 is becoming a great contributor

I had a random restart on stock ROM.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:13 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo LTE

subzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to subzero1313 Send a message via MSN to subzero1313 Send a message via Yahoo to subzero1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax2k1 View Post
I had a random restart on stock ROM.

happened to me about 5 times since Ive owned it, I think once since Ive flashed
Old 11-03-2009, 01:31 PM
i like turtles
Threadstarter

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenerd View Post
you had your coffee yet? The last couple of post Ive seen from you in the morning start out "I haven't had any coffee yet...." maybe you were dreaming.

i have not had any restarts on Mighty. I did have the little rotating hourglass thing go for about 15 seconds while I was writing an email last night. That and the screen not rotate once or twice. Other than that, solid
LOL! Well I've had my mountain dew, does that count? :P

I guess I could say I'm lucky that it's only happened once, BUT, I really dread the idea that the frequency at which it happens will go up over time.

Just trying to see if there's a common behavior that triggers a restart...
Old 11-03-2009, 01:54 PM
i like turtles
Threadstarter

you know, I just realized, when my phone restarted, it was after I hit an ok button in the top right hand corner. When I go back now, it's not there. The profile extension thing is part of the sense ui, so it only has a back button down in the bottom left hand corner.

now, maybe, and this is a big maybe, somehow the coding had a glitch in it where it never took away that ok button when the screen loaded. So when I hit ok, a fatal error ocured, and boom, restart.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:02 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Well in my case I had 1 or so restarts a week but lately ive been getting 3-10 a week

and I'm not pressing the OK button thats for sure..I'm not even touching the phone.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:24 PM
i like turtles
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Well in my case I had 1 or so restarts a week but lately ive been getting 3-10 a week

and I'm not pressing the OK button thats for sure..I'm not even touching the phone.
uh oh. I hope this isn't an emerging hardware issue :/
Old 11-03-2009, 03:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

migz1134 is keeping up the good workmigz1134 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to migz1134

I've had random resets only when i am playing music on my phone. i am using pocketmusic for music playback. i am beginning to think my device crashes and forces a restart similar to a desktop with windows.

Last edited by migz1134; 11-03-2009 at 03:53 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2