PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 12:38 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

Deuce08 is keeping up the good workDeuce08 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking ROM Review......

So, I am a BIG tech geek and decided I would give a semi-brief overview of what I see as the 5 major ROMs we see in the forum. Nothing fancy, so if you want full app lists and extreme detail see ROM thread. Also, feel free to add to this post. My TP2 got a heck of a workout and I made sure to perform a Clear Storage between each new ROM to remove any clutter. So without further delay, and please let me know if I'm off base in any way.

I will add more to these reviews as I test other ROMs and each ROM more thoroughly.

So, the 5 I have tested are as follows;
EliteTeam_RhodiumW_Verizon_RC1_WM65_21869_20091024
- Known in this post as EliteROM
EnergyROM_23081_RHOD500_25.Oct.2009_Standard - Known in this post as EnergyROM
RUU_Rhodium_W_Juicy_R1 - Known in this post as JuicyROM
CFay_1.0_RTM_Rhod400_500
- Known in this post as CFayROM
MightyROM_RhodiumW_103009
- Known in this post as MightyROM

I am basing this SOLELY on how these ROMs run on my TP2 and ranking them from 1 to 10 in 3 categories (Features, Aesthetics and Operation) I realize, as should you who are reading this, that some software will react differently to each carrier's hardware.

EliteROM
The first ROM I tested and let me tell you, it's loaded! It has just about anything a geek can handle and then a few more ingredients on top of that. Unfortunately, a little too much for the available memory on the TP2.

It is well put together though with loads of flair, but I think a few less running processes would suffice since I ended up utilizing about 85-95% memory. I honestly don't know what Manila or WM version it runs as I promptly removed it, but they cover their ROM quite well in the thread. Also, as noted in ROM thread, the splash screens are a little over the top and you must flash stock ROM to remove them.

Features - 9
Aesthetics - 7
Operation - 3.5

===================================

EnergyROM
The second tested, and one of my favorites. It has just the right mixture of both eye candy and applications to make me happy. Running WM6.5.1 and Manila 2.1, with some tweaks I am guessing? Ran at about 55-70% memory utilization.

It locks up frequently but was fairly stable if you were careful and maintained your open applications. Of course the HTC messaging can be disabled, but that was still a nuisance. Nice selection of background options and since it utilizes the more stable Manila 2.1, it flowed nicely.

Features - 7
Aesthetics - 8
Operation - 7

JuicyROM
The third tested, and yet another favorite! Runs GREAT and smooth and uses the Sense UI. Now I don't know the difference between Manila 2.x and how Sense gets in the mix other than the Droid copy, but I see this one has Manila 2.5 at the core but it works so..... Utilizing about 40-60% of the memory.

Not too much to mention about the feature set except the new addition of Footprints. Had the usual such as Facebook and all the norms. One nice feature, though taxing on the phone, was the 2 choices for today home screen options. There is Weather or Animated. The weather option is definitely a looker but once those clouds start moving, forget it. As for the animated option, it's not bad and not as taxing. But there are only 3 or 4 backgrounds to choose from.

Features - 6
Aesthetics - 7
Operation - 8

CFayROM
Fourth tested, and it runs like a champ! Absolutely NO bloat to this one and runs about 60% memory utilization. Not much else to say, want a ROM that just runs with the normal feature set and utilizes WM 6.5 and Manila 2.1. Boasts different drivers to make for faster performance....I can see that being the case. Runs fast, but I don't feel there was much in it to clog it up. Not much else to say.

Features - 5
Aesthetics - 6
Operation - 8

MightROM
Only ROM requiring a password to unpack.....ugh! Makes for a close tie with EliteROM for the most thought out ROM. Minimal flash time, and no bloat. It's simple, efficient and runs about 45-55% memory utilization.

Really not much to say about this ROM other than it works, works well actually. Manila 2.1 and WM 6.5 at the core. MightyMike also seems to supply the best list of tweaks and fixes in his thread. All in all, I think I'm running with this one for a while.

Features - 7
Aesthetics - 7
Operation - 9

*********This is for information purposes ONLY and in no way is meant to demean, disseminate, or otherwise ridicule any ROM or ROM cooking person(s). I know full well that though I put some time into this post, it is nowhere near the amount of time they put into designing the ROM. Please refer to ROM thread and chef for further information.*********

Last edited by Deuce08; 11-03-2009 at 12:53 AM.
This post has been thanked 30 times.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Threadstarter

Deuce08 is keeping up the good workDeuce08 is keeping up the good work
Re: ROM Review......

I also decided I would let everyone in on this and post all of your results. If you installed a ROM and would like your take to be known without having to write a lengthy review, please fill out the ROM Review Form. It's simple and will take you 5 minutes.

ROM Review Form

Anyway, here is the latest review.....
Juicy Rhodium_W R2 [SENSE UI][XDA_UC]- Known in this post as JuicyROM-R2

JuicyROM-R2

This is a good ROM with the basic necessities. The JMZ automatic provisioning is a major plus, chefs take note! The Sense UI (or Manila 2.5) is smooth, but somehow I still prefer 2.1 myself because of the two Today screen background options, 1-weather(animated) or 2-animated.

I will say this too, the screen blacks when I slide out the keyboard even after all attempts to fix it. Could be just me...

Good ROM though, thanks Juicy! Will be using this one for at least the next 24 hours. But I am already hammering on it.

By the way, post-flash could maybe be a 10, but I don't like giving 10's for anything unless I'm totally blown away.

Features - 6
Aesthetics - 7
Post Flash - 9
Operation/Clean - 8
Operation/Dirty - 7

Last edited by Deuce08; 11-03-2009 at 11:14 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

neodarksaver is just getting started

Thanks for the info... i ahve only tried photon from energyrom and mighty's so far...
Old 11-03-2009, 12:54 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Captivate
Carrier: AT&T

coldheat06 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcoldheat06 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcoldheat06 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcoldheat06 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Make sure that you test out Juicy's R2 Rom. Also Don't forget about JD's..... coming soon.

Please hit "Thanks" if I helped you.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:42 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Zoheb318 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZoheb318 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZoheb318 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Thanks for the review and I hope you will continue to update this thread. I don't have the time to constantly flash roms every day like I did with my TP1 so this thread is very useful.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC 6800

AVakil is a n00b

I went with MightyROM based on the popularity, after reading this review, glad I did.

No disrespect to any of the chefs. You guys are all freaking awesome. I only wish I had the talent you guys have.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:55 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Relocated to the Touch Pro 2 forum.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: sprint

s2k-rob is a n00b

I've tryed 3 .......
mighty . runs great and fast
photon . runs smooth looks good
leo . runs ok but looks amazing

Im sticking with the leo for a bit cause I feel it makes my phone look the part of a great piece of machine it is. It's a lil slower then the other two but very usable I would even say like oem . So far no crashes , battery life better then oem, and my only complain is I haven't got to a mms (picture messaging ) fix, but I just tell my friends to email me the pics.
Thats all for now. Untill next flash.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

tender is becoming a great contributor

Smartphonejunkie did a video tour of the major ROMs for the TP2. You can find them on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/iamdasht19

hope this helps others.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: tp2!
Carrier: the one

orlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stuff

you forgot Energy Leo ROM with manila 2.5 and wm6.5 (not 6.5.1)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2