PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 01:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

zulu is keeping up the good workzulu is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Comms Manager Question

The Setup: I go into Comm Manager and turn off my phone and data connection and turn on WiFi and see that I'm connected to my router, and confirm this through the wifi settings applet.

The Problem: When I go to my email inbox and click "Send/Receive" I get an error back telling me "Cannot connect to the incoming mail server. blah blah blah". So, wanting to be sure it isn't just an email issue with that particular server, I go to the inbox for my Gmail account and try again. Same error message. Testing one more time, I open up Pocket MoTweets and it errors out as well and tells me "Cannot connect to twitter at this time."

The Question: I know I've done it before, but if you have no service/turn off the phone (airplane mode even), I should still be able to connect to and utilize wifi for my phone's data? Right?

Sprint TP2, running "MightyROM Love" build 121309.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:08 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint 4G Network

Deimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Comms Manager Question

I can confirm also that I can connect to my work's WIFI and turn data and voice off and still have my internet enabled applications to go on working as normal.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I thought so. I wonder if this is a ROM issue.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro Zwei
Carrier: TNN (the now network)

bdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I have tried this before as well. but i dont think its a rom related. I can use all of my internet related programs. But same as you i have not been able to send any emails via wifi. I just assummed that its some kind of phone or software setting that doesnt allow email via wifi...if you find a fix to this i am interested
Old 12-17-2009, 05:54 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Telus

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP

I seem to recall that when I upgraded to a TP from a 6800, the 6800 would no longer do wifi because it had no data connection (plan). This has to be along the same lines as turning off the data connection on your device. So I don't think it's a ROM issue either...more of a hardware limitation...or even a restriction!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to WisdomWolfX

Hmm, I am running Mighty ROM Love 2 and have successfully used the internet using only wifi. I turn off the phone/data portion and enable wifi so that I can find my computer in Resco Explorer without finding everyone on Sprint's network. I've then proceeded to browse the rep and read/respond to email before I bothered to turn phone radio back on.

Jumped ship for Android now that WM is officially useless.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX View Post
Hmm, I am running Mighty ROM Love 2 and have successfully used the internet using only wifi. I turn off the phone/data portion and enable wifi so that I can find my computer in Resco Explorer without finding everyone on Sprint's network. I've then proceeded to browse the rep and read/respond to email before I bothered to turn phone radio back on.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Lol. I wonder why mine isn't working. I'm still too new to this to properly diagnose or figure it out, but my thinking is that I'm missing some settings/info somewhere on the phone. I'm thinking that it's probably under the connections menu in the modems menu somewhere. Hmmmm. Do you have any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurst08 View Post
I have tried this before as well. but i dont think its a rom related. I can use all of my internet related programs. But same as you i have not been able to send any emails via wifi. I just assummed that its some kind of phone or software setting that doesnt allow email via wifi...if you find a fix to this i am interested
I'm thinking it's ROM related because I know I've tried this before, successfully, with the stock ROM and a different ROM. I just wanted to confirm this worked in case I was just remembering wrong. With a family and all the work I do, I can remember things wrong every now and then. Lol. I'm just thinking that some configuration data may have gotten borked at some point. So, not directly a ROM issue, but more like ROM related.

Last edited by zulu; 12-17-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:10 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Telus

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35541; U; en; Presto/2.1.1))

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovKid66
I seem to recall that when I upgraded to a TP from a 6800, the 6800 would no longer do wifi because it had no data connection (plan). This has to be along the same lines as turning off the data connection on your device. So I don't think it's a ROM issue either...more of a hardware limitation...or even a restriction!
OK, so when I posted that earlier I had no available wifi to test. So now I'm at home, phone is in plane mode, all data off too, and wifi turned on...and here I am on PPCG. I'm using Juicy R6. So perhaps it is ROM specific, but to be more precise a setting, as you noted, that differs from one ROM to another.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovKid66 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35541; U; en; Presto/2.1.1))

OK, so when I posted that earlier I had no available wifi to test. So now I'm at home, phone is in plane mode, all data off too, and wifi turned on...and here I am on PPCG. I'm using Juicy R6. So perhaps it is ROM specific, but to be more precise a setting, as you noted, that differs from one ROM to another.
Noted. When I switch this one to Airplane mode, it won't even let me turn wifi on. Just trying to get this to work so when/if I'm in a situation where I get no signal and wifi is available I'll have a fall back. That and airlines are moving toward plane based wifi so having this feature working on long flights when I don't want to pull out a laptop would be awesome.

In terms of settings I was thinking about the modem settings in the connections menu. I know the settings will be different, but I'm thinking that it should be some common thread as it's just making the wifi chip available independent of other data services. As it is, when I go into the modem settings I only have the evdo Sprint modem set up and I'm thinking that's where something may be missing from. Now if I can just get someone who is running Love 2 and on Sprint and able to connect and use service with phone/data turned off to tell me what settings they have that would be ideal. I'm asking a lot I guess. Lol.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evolicious

TreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Im running Love 2 as you are and I have no problems here. It might be a bad flash. Just to be safe I would hard reset and then re-flash the ROM and then hard reset again. It might seem like a headache but it tends to clear up little quirks with ROMs after flashing. Also check and make sure your wi-fi settings and password are correct too if you havent. Sorry i couldnt be of more help.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2