PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   is mms possible on telus? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=94082)

Tweak_four17 11-02-2009 01:00 AM

is mms possible on telus?

I've flashed to a new 6.5 rom (like I'm sure everyone else has lol) and I see options for mms that weren't there before and I've previously talked to telus about it and was informed that no smartphone can mms. Obviously carriers in the US have this option on the exact same phone model so the question is, why does telus say it can't be done? is it a carrier imposed restriction on smartphones or is there some way to make it work and they just dont?

jessiethe3rd 11-20-2009 01:23 AM

Re: is mms possible on telus?

This is a very good question. Back in the day Sprint and Verizon couldn't' do MMS with Smartphones... of course that was like 3 years ago... it's too bad Telus and Bell are as slow as molassis on catching a clue. Regardless - I don't know if there is a way to fix it. All indications say no - I've looked and searched high and low and it just doesn't seem possible...:violent2:](*,)

BlackDynamite 11-20-2009 03:08 AM

Re: is mms possible on telus?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessiethe3rd (Post 1346118)
This is a very good question. Back in the day Sprint and Verizon couldn't' do MMS with Smartphones... of course that was like 3 years ago... it's too bad Telus and Bell are as slow as molassis on catching a clue. Regardless - I don't know if there is a way to fix it. All indications say no - I've looked and searched high and low and it just doesn't seem possible...:violent2:](*,)

Verizon always had MMS as far as I know. I know they did on the 6700 for sure as I just bought a used one for my friend and set it up on Page Plus. It has working MMS on the stock Verizon ROM.

As for Sprint- they had something called Picture Mail back in the day. It was similar to MMS but instead of getting a picture in your inbox, you got a link to a website. Of course, the smart people on this very site had all sorts of workaounds for it. The most common workaround was to take the Arcsoft MMS client from a Verizon smartphone, install it on a Sprint phone, and put in Sprint MMS server info. It worked for years.

Sprint later blocked access to those servers and the customers had an uproar over it. It didn't last long. Sprint had working MMS within a year. And while Sprint had it blocked, the smart guys in the community (probably this very site) had a fully functional work around. It used the picture mail servers (I think) but it worked.

So, to the best of my knowledge, Verizon always had MMS, and Sprint had it, got rid of it and went a few months without it, then caved and implemented it. And in fact now it is full on MMS. There is no more getting a text message with a link that opens in a web browser (which was better than nothing back when Sprint used that method).

Anyway, Verizon always had fully supported MMS, and Sprint always had a community supported workaround. I don't think there was ever a time since about 2004 where Sprint and Verizon didn't have MMS on their Windows Mobile phones.