PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

nate_stansell is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint - CDMA, Radio question

I've unlocked my phone and applied a customer ROM (Thanks NRGZ28!) and im loving it.
This is not the first phone ive flashed so im not new at this, but im no expert either...

Ive read a lot of posts about radios and flashing them...
From what i understand falshing the radion allows you to the phone on other carriers.
Is that bascially it?
Are there other benefits to doing this that im missing?

I ask because i like to play and im considering flashing the radio on my phone however i dont care about the ability to use other sim cards so i dont know that there is any reason for me to flash the radio...
Old 11-03-2009, 07:12 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: S3/GN2/AXIOM/TP2/Hero/Moment/EVO
Carrier: *--USCC--*

apristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to apristel Send a message via Skype™ to apristel
Re: Sprint - CDMA, Radio question

Usually we flash the radio to improve signal strength. Flashing the radio doesn't mean that you can use it on different carriers. However, the TP2 has a hacked radio by cmonex/olipro that allows us to use GSM ( sim card ) services in the US on US carriers.. like att and tmobile. There is a little more involved that just simply flashing the radio due to the licensing setup that cmonex implemented. Just find the thread and you'll see what is all involved if you choose to do so.

So since you are not looking to use the sim card, you would be looking at improving your signal? I'm not even sure that there are many radios out there for our TP2's yet..Although I haven't look either. The signal seems excellent on my TP2 (sprint) over my tp1. Night and day I would say....that even rhymed.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Oh and welcome to PPCGeeks! Enjoy your stay, there is alot happening in the rom development area since the HSPL just was released. Look for some more great roms and whatever else these geniuses come up with.

Last edited by apristel; 11-03-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

nate_stansell is a n00b

Yea that helps a lot.
One bit of clarification needed on that though.
I live in an area that sprint does not have 3g speeds, only the slower 1X stuff.
Other carriers around here (AT&T) have 3g available though.
If i were to flash the radio would I then be able to take advantage of the faster speeds offered by other carriers or would my phone still not connect to their networks? (I assume since sprint has no roaming in the US and i have an unlimited data plan id be ok for data charges)
Old 11-03-2009, 07:24 PM
VIP Member

apristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the community

Well to use the att network you would need to have an active att SIM in the phone. But I really haven't read that anyone has got the 3g data to work with the GSM SIM. Remember this unlocked radio is like a week old if that, so people are just getting things setup.

So I guess I'd have to say that you aren't gonna be able to use the att data without the hacked radio. It would get really costly to have a att sim with a good data plan anyways, especially since you are paying for the sprint service already.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

nate_stansell is a n00b

ok thats what i thought but wanted to be sure.
It sounds like there isnt any benefit for me to do this as i get good signal everywhere ive checked.
Thank you for the info, youve been thanked on the forum too!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:38 PM
VIP Member

Cool thanks dude, gotcha back.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2