PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 12:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

borntochill is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Kinoma Play without Soft Keys = Misery

Kinoma Play may be my favorite WM app, but the developers have designed it with the assumption that every WM phone has hardware soft keys. The Touch Pro 2 doesn't.

When you're in the Kinoma's Music app, returning to the Kinoma home screen is a huge pain in the a** without the soft keys, requiring multiple touches of the Kinoma on-screen back button to get there. And if your timing isn't just right, Kinoma will restart the paused music and require the same multiple touches all over again.

I'm sure there are workarounds, maybe involving HD Tweak or similar. Has anybody else using Kinoma come up with an elegant remapping solution for the Touch Pro 2 that doesn't create new usability issues with other Touch Pro 2 apps? Thanks.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Kinoma Play without Soft Keys = Misery

Nah, Kinoma Play is just fine without softkeys.

See the half-loop arrow in the lower left hand corner? Instead of pressing it once, press and hold.

Watch as you magically return to the Kinoma home screen
Old 11-01-2009, 02:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
Nah, Kinoma Play is just fine without softkeys.

See the half-loop arrow in the lower left hand corner? Instead of pressing it once, press and hold.

Watch as you magically return to the Kinoma home screen
Excellent, thank you!

Why the heck doesn't Kinoma list that feature in its User Manual? Looking at the Kinoma forums a lot of people say they're going nuts with the same issue.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:56 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

dafuse is a n00b

thanks for the info. At least one annoyance is now solved with this app. I think Kinoma is just so terrible. It still can't play protected music, can't sort my music per track number within an album, it thinks it's helping me by searching all of my device for all pictures and presenting them to me in one big lump, ignoring my directory structure and showing me all the temp files downloaded by Opera. I really regret buying that thing.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafuse View Post
thanks for the info. At least one annoyance is now solved with this app. I think Kinoma is just so terrible. It still can't play protected music, can't sort my music per track number within an album, it thinks it's helping me by searching all of my device for all pictures and presenting them to me in one big lump, ignoring my directory structure and showing me all the temp files downloaded by Opera. I really regret buying that thing.
I agree with you about the album track number thing. Annoying for sure, although I otherwise like the music player interface, especially how it displays album art better than any Windows Mobile player I've tried. I haven't any protected music so I can't comment on that.

If you click on the Get Apps icon on the Kinoma home screen there is an "Advanced Settings" option that you can download in just a few seconds. Advanced Settings allows you to select which media folders to scan, so you don't have to see extraneous system/temp files showing up in your Pictures or Music apps.

Aside from its cool iPhone like interface, what sold me was its YouTube app which displays much much higher quality video than the built in Touch Pro 2 application along with nifty GUI interfaces to Yelp, Orb, Shoutcast, Twitter, Flickr, Picasa, etc.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Sprint SERO

JStewartx is keeping up the good workJStewartx is keeping up the good work

@borntochill

Its been my experience that the built in youtube app far exceeds Kinoma's picture quality...
Old 11-01-2009, 06:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Actually, I just did a little testing. At least with MP3 files, Kinoma appears to play album tracks in the proper order so long as the album's MP3 files contain track numbers in their ID3 tags. A tagging utility can quickly tag or retag entire albums. I mentioned a couple of free tagging utilities with links to them in another thread here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=94002.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStewartx View Post
@borntochill

Its been my experience that the built in youtube app far exceeds Kinoma's picture quality...
I just did an A/B test. Funny...you're right. Now the vid looks better in the built-in app. Go figure.

I wonder if it was always that way and I just had a bad connection, or whether my ROM upgrade changed anything. Either way, I take back my earlier comment.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:34 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntochill View Post
I just did an A/B test. Funny...you're right. Now the vid looks better in the built-in app. Go figure.

I wonder if it was always that way and I just had a bad connection, or whether my ROM upgrade changed anything. Either way, I take back my earlier comment.
When i had an xv6800 Kinoma had much better YT playback than anything else.

That all changed when I got my TP's. Now, I find Kinoma virtuallu useless for just about any kind of video playback & don't even bother installing it anymore (& I have the $30 version)

~John
Old 11-01-2009, 08:04 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

dafuse is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntochill View Post
I agree with you about the album track number thing. Annoying for sure, although I otherwise like the music player interface, especially how it displays album art better than any Windows Mobile player I've tried. I haven't any protected music so I can't comment on that.

If you click on the Get Apps icon on the Kinoma home screen there is an "Advanced Settings" option that you can download in just a few seconds. Advanced Settings allows you to select which media folders to scan, so you don't have to see extraneous system/temp files showing up in your Pictures or Music apps.

Aside from its cool iPhone like interface, what sold me was its YouTube app which displays much much higher quality video than the built in Touch Pro 2 application along with nifty GUI interfaces to Yelp, Orb, Shoutcast, Twitter, Flickr, Picasa, etc.
@borntochill: dude, thanks. That helped a lot. Now it just shows me the pics in my "Pictures" directory structure.....still in one big lump. For 1400+ pics, that's pretty useless. But, if I go specifically to the storage card, and select the appropriate folder, it works. But then, ironically, it won't let me view them as a grid, only as a list. Just weird.

I *want* to like this. You're right, the interface is really nice. I was exploring the apps a bit, and I found a reader that uses Google reader as a basis, so I get all my feeds. That's really nice, so I just found one reason to keep it installed. I checked the Facebook app, and it seems ok so far. Flickr too.

BTW, referring to comments above, my music is in WMA format, not MP3. Maybe it can't read those tags to sort the songs appropriately. Additionally, I can't sort them at all, even by name. I rip the music to have the track number as the first thing in the file name, but nope, Kinoma won't let me sort on that either. Since I listen to albums, as opposed to songs or playlists, that kills it for me as a music player. The fact that it can't play my Rhapsody music (protected) is the nail in the coffin, so I'm still searching for a music player. Sigh.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2