PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   MY LOCATION is wrong in Google Maps. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93798)

funkycharms 12-14-2009 05:25 PM

Re: MY LOCATION is wrong in Google Maps.

Bumping this thread to the top, did you find a resolution to your problem? Im constantly getting my location within 1000 meters. Again, never had this problem with the TP1.

I plan on having my phone side by side with a friends TP2. He says he never encounters this problem :(

drewcam888 12-14-2009 05:59 PM

If you are off my so much then is is not using your gps for location just cell tower location.

DarkLord 12-14-2009 05:59 PM

depending on what version of Google Maps you have, the "my location" feature will be better or worse. the current build on the NRG roms are the worst offenders i think. some of the older builds were much better.

DarkLord 12-14-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewcam888 (Post 1412835)
If you are off my so much then is is not using your gps for location just cell tower location.

that's an issue too, actually. the newer builds have an issue with the cell tower location. not sure why.

mswlogo 12-14-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwcj63 (Post 1412837)
depending on what version of Google Maps you have, the "my location" feature will be better or worse. the current build on the NRG roms are the worst offenders i think. some of the older builds were much better.

But once the GPS gets a lock then that doesn't matter.

Sounds like folks are not turning the GPS on or the GPS is not getting a lock.

If they did turn the GPS on it will either lock or report back "Weak GPS Signal". Which was not stated so I think they just didn't turn the GPS on in Google Maps.

Check out my signature for detailed steps and some do's and don'ts

QMeli907 12-14-2009 06:46 PM

My TP2 does this when I'm inside. When I step outside, it gives me my exact location

DarkLord 12-14-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 1413048)
But once the GPS gets a lock then that doesn't matter.

Sounds like folks are not turning the GPS on or the GPS is not getting a lock.

Check out my signature for detailed steps.

as i was told a few days ago, some people use it as they're driving just to get a quick fix on where they are. without the gps on. i'm not entirely sure why this would be desired but that's what i was told. as for me, i always turn on my gps and my location is pretty accurate.

mswlogo 12-14-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwcj63 (Post 1413058)
as i was told a few days ago, some people use it as they're driving just to get a quick fix on where they are. without the gps on. i'm not entirely sure why this would be desired but that's what i was told. as for me, i always turn on my gps and my location is pretty accurate.

But the topic of the thread is he wants better than 1000 meters, meaning he's looking for a "GPS" accurate position. And because by default GoogleMaps does a tower lock first folks often think that's as good as it gets. It's a common newbie mistake with GoogleMaps these days.

DarkLord 12-14-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 1413065)
But the topic of the thread is he wants better than 1000 meters, meaning he's looking for a "GPS" accurate position. And because by default GoogleMaps does a tower lock first folks often think that's as good as it gets. It's a common newbie mistake with GoogleMaps these days.

make sense to me.

sugaryling 12-14-2009 07:08 PM

I never got this fixed. I do turn on the GPS feature in google maps. I never has this issue with my TP.