PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: motorola q
Carrier: sprint

fatdaddy58 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cool Q9c owner wants to upgrade

I have been lurking and reading in this forum for months now, I have sprint sero for 3 years. I am ready to upgrade. the tp2 is the one. but after reading everything, you all have me undecided. should i give up the sero and try for one of the discounted plans? or keep the sero and pay the price for the tp2. Or should i wait for the supposed wm7 or 6.5? Any help appreciated.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:37 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III
Carrier: Sprint

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community
Re: Q9c owner wants to upgrade

You've gotta weigh the difference in price between paying for the phone and the price difference on the plans, and you're the only one who can determine what's better for your budget, paying more now and less monthly, etc. If you're looking to upgrade to wm7, I wouldn't hold my breath, there's nothing in concrete about what it's even gonna be and when it will be released (although we may know more this coming week after WMC). As far as 6.5, there's no need to wait for Sprint to release it, there's plenty of custom ROM's out here that do more and run better than what we can imagine Sprints 6.5 is going to be like. It's all personal preference. Good luck on your decision and welcome aboard!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

homeland is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy58 View Post
I have been lurking and reading in this forum for months now, I have sprint sero for 3 years. I am ready to upgrade. the tp2 is the one. but after reading everything, you all have me undecided. should i give up the sero and try for one of the discounted plans? or keep the sero and pay the price for the tp2. Or should i wait for the supposed wm7 or 6.5? Any help appreciated.
I have Sero and went from the Q9c to the tp2. I'm enjoying the tp2 though it is a challenge that might be a combination of the phone and user error. It isn't as amazing as I thought it would but its a fun device to play around with. The key is i'm still paying $30 a month and for that I'll keep with the phone as its the best option atm.

Going off of no information.. but the way sprint is going I really doubt wm7 would be Sero compatible. Just mho.. And you can flash a custom wm6.5 rom onto the tp2 very easily.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Veezy

wodurrah is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy58 View Post
well Sprint has horrible phones...calculate how much money you'd save in two years btwn the current plans and the sero plan deduct that amount from the price of a unlocked CDMA TP2 and compare that to the $350 sticker of the TP2 on sprint plan...I found a sprint tp2 for cheap on ebay. Check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CDMA-Touch-Pro-2...item439d210cd2
Old 02-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy S4 and Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint(03/09-Now), T-Mobile(06/06-now)

pesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuff

Touch Pro2 is the phone to have if you're on Sero(or any other plan on sprint atm actually). Just buy one on ebay or even better -craigslist(usually cheaper and you can see device b4 forking out the moolah). My buddy got BNIB for $200 off the craigslist about 2 weeks ago. Make sure it has clean/clear ESN before purchase(if buying from craigslist - insist on meeting the seller in person and call sprint on the spot and ask to check ESN(1-5 min phone call usually)-remember even if box is sealed ESN might not be clear) and that it has Sprint logo on the device(Sprint will not activate verizon branded device although its 100% compatible). I had Q9C few years back and trust me you will be shockingly amazed with TP2, it easily beats Q9C in ALL aspects. IMO TP2 is better than VZ's droid(keyboard is the best on the market atm). After the purchase come to this forum and try some of the great WM6.5 ROMS (6.5 not yet officially available on Sprint TP2)

When you can tether for free?: D

Last edited by pesok; 02-11-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Mogul

nosmohtac is becoming a great contributor

I had the Q, and loved it. I messed around with the Q9c, and although the sprint reps I've spoken too say it's junk it looked like quite an improvement over the original.

I would wait for Windows Phone 7 or whatever they are gonna call it. I love my TP2, but if you're eligible for an upgrade, I'd wait to use it on WM7.

When the first Touch Pro came out, I wasn't eligble for upgrade, and I paid full retail. I heard other people on SERO went to Best Buy and were able to upgrade even if they weren't out of contract and still keep their SERO plan. So if you really want the TP2, I'd try out Best Buy and make sure you let them know you don't want to change anything on your plan, you just want to upgrade the phone.

It's obviously your choice, but I would wait 'til 3rd quarter and see if WM7 doesn't make an appearance.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:02 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodurrah View Post
well Sprint has horrible phones...calculate how much money you'd save in two years btwn the current plans and the sero plan deduct that amount from the price of a unlocked CDMA TP2 and compare that to the $350 sticker of the TP2 on sprint plan...I found a sprint tp2 for cheap on ebay. Check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CDMA-Touch-Pro-2...item439d210cd2
I wouldn't be surprised if the seller's on here, if it really has 6.5 he's already flashed it. And I'd love to know how he got google sky on WM as it's an android app due to the compass in the phone that the TP2 doesn't have (sorry OP about the hijack!!), but basically the bottom line comes down to finances and if it's the phone/OS you want.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Spring

mp3ster is a n00b

upgrade... likelihood being you will not be able to upgrade to a win7 device on your sero plan when it hits... like they are restricting us from android..
Old 02-11-2010, 01:00 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

I paid 349 for one and 275 for the other both through sprint. With SERO phone price is in the noise. I upgraded my wifes q9c to tp2 and she is happy.

It's not worth screwing with ebay. Have to think about warranty and assuron too.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

chardog is keeping up the good workchardog is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Sprint/1.0/HTC_Touch_Pro2_T7380 Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

negotiate with sprint. i went from q9c as well. good phone, but had a bit of problems with windows 5. wm 6 is a whole lot better. the tp2 is a whole lot better than the q9c. if the q9c had a better speaker phone, camera, and wifi, i would probably keep it.

the battery life was awesome tho.

btw paid under 2 for my tp2

Last edited by chardog; 02-11-2010 at 02:11 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2