PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

watchcricket is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Screen does not respond!!

This morning I was trying to turn off "Microsoft Voice Command" and I got an error that said "An error occurred. Do you want send this report this to Microsoft..." and I clicked on something that said "Turn this off permanently"....

After that, my touch screen does not respond!! I cannot enter the unlock code using the touch screen but can only enter using the keyboard.

I also tried a soft reset (battery out and in) but no luck! Basically, my touch screen is broke!!

Did anybody had the same problem? Any suggestions?
Old 10-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: Touch Screen does not respond!!

Not me...
I will make sure I read all error messages from now on though. You may need to do a hard reset. Ahhhwwwwe....
p.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:57 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Airhead315 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchcricket View Post
This morning I was trying to turn off "Microsoft Voice Command" and I got an error that said "An error occurred. Do you want send this report this to Microsoft..." and I clicked on something that said "Turn this off permanently"....

After that, my touch screen does not respond!! I cannot enter the unlock code using the touch screen but can only enter using the keyboard.

I also tried a soft reset (battery out and in) but no luck! Basically, my touch screen is broke!!

Did anybody had the same problem? Any suggestions?
I assume you know about this but if you cant seem to fix it any other way perform a Hard-Reset.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

watchcricket is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead315 View Post
I assume you know about this but if you cant seem to fix it any other way perform a Hard-Reset.
Well, your assumption is correct. Yes, I know that. But trying to find that "any other way" here in this forum before I do a hard reset.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Big Red

Herbal954 is keeping up the good workHerbal954 is keeping up the good work

maybe try to recalibrate the screen? i think someone said if you hold both volume bottons and either the send or end key itll load the screen calibration
Old 10-30-2009, 05:35 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Well, your assumption is correct. Yes, I know that. But trying to find that "any other way" here in this forum before I do a hard reset.
Hard resets and getting back to where you were is so fast and easy, I don't know why people get so stressed about it. Just run "Restore" from your previous night's automatic backup, and it's all done and back to normal in 15 minutes.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

watchcricket is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead315 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
Hard resets and getting back to where you were is so fast and easy, I don't know why people get so stressed about it. Just run "Restore" from your previous night's automatic backup, and it's all done and back to normal in 15 minutes.
TheBundo,
Could you explain in detail on how to do a "Restore"? Is there a program/cab for doing that?
Old 10-30-2009, 09:20 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Airhead315 is just getting started

Quote:
TheBundo,
Could you explain in detail on how to do a "Restore"? Is there a program/cab for doing that?
I believe he is saying that to do a restore just run a backup program like PIM Backup and store the resulting backup file on your SD card, do a hard reset, then restore from that backup. This works great minus a few challenges.

1.) I have yet to find backup software that will only keep email account settings. This is a major issue for me as I have found they dont do well on first connect to email when emails exist on the phone that the server knows nothing about.
2.) If you use Facebook integration then it will remove all of your links.

Other than that PIM Backup works great. The fix for number 1 is just to not backup your email accounts. Then readd them after you flash.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

watchcricket is a n00b

Took it to the nearest service center and found that the "CASE" is the culprit.
The case being so tight caused the touch screen to not respond. The rep just took the case out, blown some hot air (I don't know what tool he used) on the inside of the case and put it back gently. Bingo!! It is back up and running and is responding just fine.

I hope this thread helps others who might see the same issue (especially if one is using a case like http://www.blujay.com/?page=ad&adid=3029894&cat=8020100)

Moral: Hard reset should be your last resort and not the first.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:24 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
TheBundo,
I use SPB Backup, some use Sprite. There seems to be a slight consensus in other threads that SPB Backup is currently working (flawlessly) better on the TP2. You can get it here:

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/backup/?en

They also have a trial version. SPB Backup and Sprite offer many things beyond what any free program (so far) offers, including backing up of all system data. Basically, a Restore makes your phone EXACTLY, in all ways, the way it was at the point it was at backed up. Hence, I not only do nightly automatic backups (takes 1 minute to set it all up when you install it), and check the box for a soft-reset after backup, but I also manually do backups before installing software. If I'm trying out tons of little cabs (and registry hacks) some night, I might do a backup after ever 5 installs/hacks, and name them sequentially. SPB Backup names the backups with the date, so I just add a "b", "c", etc., at the end of the file name if doing several backups in one busy night of hacking on the phone.

I have had several pieces of software mess things up, and this makes it very easy to unwind. You can selectively Restore things too, for instance, just the system data, which leaves your call logs, email, etc., intact, but gets the registry back to where it was.

I pay for very few pieces of software for these phones, BUT good backup software is critical, IMO. a HUGE number of posts and threads wouldn't have to be made and time wasted if everyone practiced good "backup health", not to mention the lost time and frustration suffered by those who lose their data, setup, etc.
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2