PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   How many of you plan on keeping your TP for a while? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=92491)

hyakku 10-25-2009 11:22 AM

How many of you plan on keeping your TP for a while?

I got my TP 2 a few days ago and I like it. It's a fun device, but when I thought about it I did know that it was just the TP with a bigger screen, slightly more optimized and no flash. While I'm not upset as I got the phone relatively cheap, waiting for this unlocker has made me realize one thing (really don't know how it took me so long to realize this too): these phones (touch pro, 2, WM in general) are supposed to have so much potential, but in order to get even a fraction of it we have to depend on so many other third parties. It makes me start to question, WHY are we doing all this? I think the TP 2 is great, but before I liked WM because it could do stuff other phones can't. Now most other OSes (including droid), can do all that and more.

For example:

Tethering
Business Services (exchange, enterprise, business apps, etc: RIM, Iphone, and Droid is coming up)
Fluid UI's
Multitasking (droid and RIM)
TV
and more.

While I realize there are probably the few things that other phones can't do, for the most part by next year all these phones will have similar capabilities which begs the question, besides cheap plans (which will soon be resoled with T mobiles project dark spurning competition), why stick to a WM phone in the very near future where, even if it is WM 6.5.1, we still need to flash roms every week for functionality? It seems kind of senseless.

Just wondering some other opinions on this, I haven't really made up my mind yet but I'm leaning towards selling this and hopping on T mo if they successfully roll out the rest of their 3g/4g network (which I've been told by multiple people with T Mo has gotten alot faster and far better CS than Sprint/verizon), because I just don't see the point anymore when all the other phones can do what I'm flashing my phone to do.

Edit: Also, if you plan on sticking, can you illuminate maybe some of the specific applications Windows is more practical in than other smartphones. While the business argument used to be sound, as of 2009 Microsoft is barely maintaining marketshare, just as Symbian is losing it because they aren't doing anything innovative. In fact, I phone sales for I believe 2008 were astoundingly closer to WM sales in the business world than I expected.

themuffinman 10-25-2009 11:33 AM

Re: How many of you plan on keeping your TP for a while?

Everyone will probably answer the same thing, I mean think about it. If you are using a tp2 right now then it is probably your main phone right? And I am sure that we all will be looking forward to new handsets in the future, its not like we will keep the tp2 forever.

Dragon2 10-25-2009 11:34 AM

my main thing is free shnit, I can download almost any file with my tp2 no problem, and i can upload files to lets say here from my phone as well, not many phones can do this, also theres here, being as alot of new phones are say android, where will all the support be, id miss ppcgeeks for a android phone with no keynoard etc.........

Now give me the htc leo and will talk, but it has to do 1 thing for me to get it, thats having the battery last as long as this............

hyakku 10-25-2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themuffinman (Post 1263086)
Everyone will probably answer the same thing, I mean think about it. If you are using a tp2 right now then it is probably your main phone right? And I am sure that we all will be looking forward to new handsets in the future, its not like we will keep the tp2 forever.

I didn't mean like NOW as in the immediate present, nor did I mean years from now will you switch.

I should've made it more specific like from Q4 2009-Q2 2010 do you see it being your primary phone. Maybe even a little longer as I feel like a phone should at least last a year after purchase if you have consider future upgrades and think its worth it.

But theres the LEO, various Android systems, eris, rumored TP3, etc. I feel like the LEO or TP 3 may not be worth it though if its just WM with the same things, as the TP 2 doesn't really lack speed or efficiency even on stock (I don't know about yours but my TP2 flies), I think it's just the overall decadence of the WM platform (the way to receive apps, UI, etc) that is stalling this. I was reading a review about a TP 2 and interestingly enough I considered what the review would have been like without three things:

The extraordinary price tag
WM 6.1 (although we can put 6.5 up there)
And the lack of a 3.5 Mm port (more in a sec)

The reviewer was using a TP 2 without a 3.5mm, but knew of others so he included that in his assessment, but essentially they praised the speediness, longer battery life and efficiency of the phone, even with the knowledge that it had the same hardware. They loved the TF3d on it, they actually liked that it was thinner than the TP despite being larger, and while it was slightly thick found it more than doable.

In all aspects the review would have been glowing had it not been for the price tag, which, he accurately pointed out at the time was $350.00 and still basically is for the general public with no know how, causing people to consider literally every other phone (being one of if not the most expensive subsidized phone in the US) before making the purchase, usually choosing another one over price point and popularity over the OS. Bringing up point number 2, despite all the improvements, they particularly had qualms with the aging WM 6.1 platform, which I think we all have problems with. And finally, it was only his carrier specific model that lacked 3.5mm so thats not an issue.

Essentially had this had another OS on it and a $100-$150 less price tag this phone would have probably had a better review than either the original Iphone 2g or 3g, the G1, the Pre, or most other android phones and many of the BBs (including the storm). I confirmed this by looking at other reviews and considered these factors.

So I feel that maybe its not the TP2 thats the problem, its htc's absurd allegiance to MS. I think that's what's more of a motivation for me to switch than the phone itself. I mean, yes we can download and search for thousands of apps on the web, but at this point the pre, android and certainly the iphone have many if not a major portion of the apps on their store as free counterparts that are alot easier to locate.

I think the freedom to download files and whatnot and store them as dragon said is key though, but again, now droid and the pre apparently offer these features as well. I feel as though many of the benefits to a WM platform are very quickly evaporating and leaving us doing more work for what is soon to be the same efficiency in other devices. My problem is that I love the TP 2, and once roms come I'm sure it will be perfect, but the inclusion of an app store, a lower price point and a revamped UI (or Microsoft just ****ing buying TF3D or leasing it from HTC ) with legit graphics drivers would nearly negate the need for Snapdragon. You can watch HD video (besides like 1080p, which still won't run perfectly on a snapdragon), record 30+FPS and more all with just the proper graphics drivers, as most of you familiar with computers know how crucial a driver can be. With these things I almost feel as though the TP 2 and something like the HD2 could be flagships for WM, but instead MS is kind of just dragging their feet.

rawdikrik 10-25-2009 12:33 PM

Well... to me, I have a windows mobile phone because of the community. I dont find myself moving to Android unless they have an ever larger fan base with more than just iPhone clone apps. That's the only other platform Id use, as WebOS will always be a niche product and Apple can eat my balls.

That being said, with Windows Phone 7 coming early 2010, and Tegra devices soon to follow... This poor little TP2 is on its way out as soon as my perfect phone comes out. (not the HD2). Ill probrably end up keeping this phone for about 8 months and then upgrading to a Gen2 Tegra device.

Exil3d 10-25-2009 12:39 PM

You know, I was wondering about this aswell. Now that I can actually get my pro1 swapped out thru Asurion, I have held back from doing it. I just dont see why. I thing people who didnt get the Pro2 should wait for HD2 tegra device. Now thats a real upgrade.

redd214 10-25-2009 12:40 PM

gimme tegra/snapdragon, solid hardware keyboard, same or larger screen, upgradable to winmo 7 and i will put the tp2 on backup duty in a heartbeat. till that happens tp2 is the best phone out right now in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exil3d (Post 1263216)
You know, I was wondering about this aswell. Now that I can actually get my pro1 swapped out thru Asurion, I have held back from doing it. I just dont see why. I thing people who didnt get the Pro2 should wait for HD2 tegra device. Now thats a real upgrade.

welcome back man

rawdikrik 10-25-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exil3d (Post 1263216)

Te HD2 is not a Tegra Device. The only known available Tegra device is the new Zune HD.

Mr.KLeen 10-25-2009 12:43 PM

I'll be keeping mine till something that can handle wm7 comes out. Something better than hd2.

Exil3d 10-25-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawdikrik (Post 1263220)
Te HD2 is not a Tegra Device. The only known available Tegra device is the new Zune HD.

I might be mistaken But I recall the HD2 is a tegra right? There was articles flying every where saying we might get it next year. Here you go, HTC LEO. Thant a great device.