PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 11:54 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Will the Touch Pro 2 be short lived? My personal dilemma.

My TP2 will be short live too. If HD2 comes to Sprint, I will get it.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus

redz1234 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to redz1234 Send a message via MSN to redz1234 Send a message via Yahoo to redz1234

HD2 doesnt have an ext keyboard...

I love my TP2. Paid $250 on a 3yr contract with Telus. I had no problems with 3 yrs as my plan is amazing.

- ReDz

PPC History >> Axim X5, Axim X3, Axim X3i, PPC6700, HTC Titan, HTC Touch Pro 2
Old 10-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I have hardly use the keyboard at all. TP2 is a brick. I still love my TP2, but its just too thick.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

rawdikrik knows their stuffrawdikrik knows their stuffrawdikrik knows their stuffrawdikrik knows their stuffrawdikrik knows their stuffrawdikrik knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to rawdikrik

OK.. Since it seems no one is really being helpful.

You must look into the future of devices. Windows Mobile 7 devices should start appearing by Q2 of 2010. These devices will all be VERY advanced in terms of current hardware. The HD2 just barely scratches the surface of that hardware with the Capacitive screen, 1Ghz Snapdragon and multitouch. By Q2, the HD 2 will be a bottom of the barrel WinPhone7 Device.

Along the same lines, I feel that WVGA is going to be the screen size of most upscale phones from now on (including the HD2). So that means there should be plenty f programs and mods and packages that could be retroffited to the TP2.

Personally... I wouldnt do it. Buy a TP2 out of pocket and keep ur upgrade for the middle of next year. One word: TEGRA.

I love: Swype, Pandora, AmonRa Recovery and Touiteur.
I hate: Swype (haha), 4G dropping constantly, screen protectors and losing signal in the DC subways
Old 10-25-2009, 12:29 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: S3/GN2/AXIOM/TP2/Hero/Moment/EVO
Carrier: *--USCC--*

apristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to apristel Send a message via Skype™ to apristel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdikrik View Post
OK.. Since it seems no one is really being helpful.

I think we all helped.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:30 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

wesd is a n00b

I am led to believe the TP2 is going to have a short lifespan. First, there is talk on the 'net of the TP3, basically a HD2 with a keyboard. Plus, as noted above, WM 7 will be out next year. The Tp2 is basically a TP1 with the correct form factor. Camera and processor are very similar.

I'm going to the TP2, but when I can buy one on Ebay for $299 or less. They are down to $380 now from $430 last week. I would wait for the Droid but not sure if Sprint will get that one or not.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

erick10 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwafer View Post
I'm having issues with my Touch Pro 1, and it is under manufacturer's warranty for another week. I should be receiving my 3rd one in a week on Tuesday, and I expect the same issues as with all my other phones (you know the drill).

I was offered the TP2 for $75 + 2 year agreement. I tried very hard to get a free replacement with multiple stores and CS, but it just ain't happening for me (maybe because I'm on SERO).

Anyway, after talking with a lot of Sprint reps, I get the feeling the TP2 is going to be quickly discontinued. One of the stores' managers said that his store will never carry the TP2. Another store employee said his store (a large one) voted on whether or not to carry it, and it was split down the middle because of how horrible the TP1 was for returns.

Whether or not the TP2 is good or not, it may already be doomed due to its predecessor.

So my dilemma is should I snatch up the TP2 now while I have the $75 deal (plus I have to give back my old TP1 in exchange so can't resell), or do I wait it out and stay with the TP1 until the smoke clears.

Any thoughts?
I say you should go for it for only $75. Even if the HD2 comes out, just sell your Touch Pro 2 on ebay. Im pretty sure they will give you more than $200 easily. Then just buy the HD2 if it comes out. So let me break it up for you. Lets say you get $250 for the Touch Pro 2 on ebay. $250 - $75= $175 profit. Then lets say the HD2 will be $550. $550 plus tax - $175= $375 not including tax. So you might be getting the HD2 for $375 and maybe cheaper if you scoop it of ebay. Thats what I think man. Who cares about Windows Mobile 7, worry when it is really around the corner.

Last edited by erick10; 10-25-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

illwafer is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to illwafer

thanks everyone for all the advice.

erick10, i should have mentioned i'm the cheapest of cheapskates. $375+tax and paypal fees is too much for me for a phone, although i like your line of thinking. i could probably get close to breaking even if i sold the tp1 on ebay for $200 and paid the regular $150-$199 for the tp2, but then i'd have to wait a year for upgrade or pay retail. i'm also married and my wife and i usually have the same stuff, so she'd need and upgrade too

chong67 and rawdikrik have probably persuaded me to not pay for the tp2 (i can still keep trying to get it free for another week). i was looking at this thread http://community.sprint.com/baw/thre...reqsorting=dec
and i only wish my tp1 was that responsive.

any other feedback is welcomed. if sprint was launching the tp2 like it did the palm pre, i'd probably think differently.

chong
Old 10-25-2009, 12:55 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

$75 with upgrade?

If your phone has physical damage, spen $100 on your deductible for Asurion and get a new TP2, with no upgrade required.

That way you can save your upgrade for a new phone next year.

For the record, the lack of TP2's in stores are not indicative of a short life span. In my area, the corporate stores arent getting them because the local best buys are selling them somewhat exclusively.

The fact that the TP2 is really a stop gap device, that is indicative of it's intended short life span. TP2 = Windows ME, except it is an actual improvement
Phones: Motorola MicroTAC 650E, Qualcomm/Kyocera QCP 860, Sanyo SCP-4700, Sanyo SCP-4900, Samsung A500, Sanyo MM-7400, Sanyo MM-7500, Samsung APH A900M, LG Fusic, LG Musiq, HTC Apache, Palm Centro, Samsung Rant, HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2. Samsung Moment, HTC Evo 4G
Old 10-25-2009, 01:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

erick10 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwafer View Post
thanks everyone for all the advice.

erick10, i should have mentioned i'm the cheapest of cheapskates. $375+tax and paypal fees is too much for me for a phone, although i like your line of thinking. i could probably get close to breaking even if i sold the tp1 on ebay for $200 and paid the regular $150-$199 for the tp2, but then i'd have to wait a year for upgrade or pay retail. i'm also married and my wife and i usually have the same stuff, so she'd need and upgrade too

chong67 and rawdikrik have probably persuaded me to not pay for the tp2 (i can still keep trying to get it free for another week). i was looking at this thread http://community.sprint.com/baw/thre...reqsorting=dec
and i only wish my tp1 was that responsive.

any other feedback is welcomed. if sprint was launching the tp2 like it did the palm pre, i'd probably think differently.

chong
My bad Chong. I just checked Ebay and I see a couple of used Touch Pros going for about $280 - $310 used. Now lets say you put $2 a day on your piggy bank everyday, you wont feel the pain of the $3xx of the HD2 if you start saving from today lol. Honestly, my Touch Pro was liquid damaged since 10/20 (I was throw into a pool in a party) and I contacted Asurion and today they agreed to send me a Touch Pro 2 for $100 deductible so that aint bad. Im planning on getting the Touch HD2 if it hits Sprint. Only major problem is losing my $30 Sero Plan if I choose to renew my contract.

Last edited by erick10; 10-25-2009 at 01:09 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2