PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC-6850
Carrier: Sprint

ls3mach is keeping up the good workls3mach is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Help!! Re: EBAY purchase possible insurance fraud/scam

Maybe he was selling the phone for a profit. I am a Sprint Premier customer, so I get yearly upgrades, and I bought a Motorola Q last year and sold it for $175. I got the phone for free so it was a great deal for me.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2y0 View Post
Call Sprint and tell them about the situation, if they give the ok go ahead and activate it. If they decide a month or two later to shut the phone off and tell you it was stolen, tell them you spoke to a sprint rep and they informed you everything was good to go. Now if they say SOL i would want to speak to someone higher up since you were told everything was ok

So Have you even tried contacting the seller for answers?

make sure you the the conversation in 'writing'. either via email or have them put onto your file 'notes'
Old 10-24-2009, 07:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

SecretAgentMan is keeping up the good workSecretAgentMan is keeping up the good work

Is the name on the box the seller's name? Maybe the seller has some sort of drop ship arrangement and Sprint just used his name instead of yours. I'd check with Sprint to be sure.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, HTC Touch Pro 2

firebrain is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
Is the name on the box the seller's name? Maybe the seller has some sort of drop ship arrangement and Sprint just used his name instead of yours. I'd check with Sprint to be sure.
Drop ship arrangements such as those from Brightpoint wouldn't have the seller's phone number and account info in or on the box.

This doesn't necessesarily mean that the phone was stolen. If the guy had a upgrade and wanted it to sell it he can tell Sprint to ship it a different address. The phone would still come in the seller's name because the upgrade was performed on his account.

If he claimed insurance (that the phone was stolen/lost, if he claimed damage he would have to return old phone) on his existing TP2 then that phone's ESN would be blocked and he wouldn't be able to use on is account essentially making it worthless to make such a claim.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: mogul to tp2
Carrier: sprint sero 500

swoope is becoming a great contributor

op you might read through this thread..

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ighlight=fraud

beers
Old 10-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

rjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuff

I wouldnt say a thing
Old 10-24-2009, 10:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, HTC Touch Pro 2

firebrain is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmjr69 View Post
I wouldnt say a thing
I concur. If it works and Sprint says ESN is clear leave it be
Old 10-24-2009, 10:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint Now Network

sd4shizy is keeping up the good worksd4shizy is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to sd4shizy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 632627 View Post
Hey guys, im new here, so any help and advice would be much appreciated.

2 weeks ago i bought a brand new touch pro2 from ebay from an ebay power seller with over 99% feedback. The phone arrives 2 days later directly from sprint, however it is adressed to a different name. I find it odd but call up sprint and have the phone activated. From some of the posts here and on sprintusers.com, i come to realize this phone was sent to me as part of an insurance scam.

Here is my dilemma.... I have already sold my old phone, and the only other phone I would be interested in is a samsung intrepid but i cant find one on ebay. I like the tp2 alot and got it for a pretty good price. My main concern is that 2 or 3 months down the line Sprint might brick my phone and im SOL. I asked a friend who used to work for sprint, and she said that once the phone is activated on my account, they cant block the esn #.... which for some reason i find hard to believe.

Should I just keep the phone and take my chances and if anything bad happens file a dispute with paypal? or should i call up sprint and report the incident and hope they let me keep the phone? one thing I don't want to do is just send the phone back to the seller and keep my fingers crossed that he issues a full refund.

thanks for your time guys!
Bro,

Know that this thread can be used against u as evidence that you had actual knowledge (given the facts, there is probably enough to constitute constructive notice as well) and were on notice of the fraud or potential thereof - don't presume that you are immune from such correspondence to be used against you (although highly unlikely).

What you should do is not only call Sprint but ask to speak to a Supe and MAKE SURE that ur convo is noted. Further, make sure that it states that you called inquiring about the issue and states the issue in fair detail. That may satisfy the requirement that you made a good faith effort to resolve the issue.

Also, note that a thief can never pass good title nor can title be passed even from a bona fP unless it was bought from a merchant that specialized in such goods in exchange for valuable consideration (money) which I presume you gave through PP. The seller qualifies as such so you're in the green.

The person whose account was potentially computerized would not be responsible; the seller would have to go to whoever he "bought it from" and receive a refund therefrom.

Anyway. I hope this helped. I have a Evidence Exam to study for and look what I'm doing...So sad.

PEACE
Old 10-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: VZW Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

dimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on rep

And always know that there is a charge of "Recieving Stolen Property". I would make sure that you have covered every avenue available to you.

If I have helped you in anyway, please click Thank You.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I had the same problem as you. Check my other thread that I had posted.

But I didnt resell my phone. I am using the phone now.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2