PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Battery test with case holder - 30% loss (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=92106)

saj070 10-23-2009 10:28 AM

Battery test with case holder - 30% loss

ok i have been testing my battery with my magnetic case holder.

I have OEM HTC case. i did use the tweakt to slidewake to zero.

here the results after 8 days of testing every night i 100% charge my battery. if i leave the phone in the case with the battery facing the magnetic clip it will drain 30% of battery life after 8 hours.

if you place it on the table and not in the case battery life only lose 5% - 10%.

My conclusion is the magnetic field is attracting the battery to drain quicker.

If you flip the phone in the case then there is no battery loss..

So bottom line people with magnetic case either flip your phone so the battery door is not facing the magnet, or at night time remove the phone from the case..

i hope this helps other who notice battery loss overnight or during the day if your phone is using a case with magnetic holder..

Russellhi 10-23-2009 08:59 PM

Re: Battery test with case holder - 30% loss

thanks for posting your findings

saj070 10-23-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russellhi (Post 1259175)
thanks for posting your findings

anytime every little info helps if you want to maximize your HTC TP2.

i can't put the phone in my pocket it just feel to bulky. i have always used a case. so when i go out all day and night hate to waiste 30% battery life or more just cause the magnetic clip is pulling the power.

enjoy i hope it helps other using magnetic case.

bluruld 10-23-2009 10:42 PM

I've also notice drain with my magnet holder. I think I'm going to return it and just live with my ghost armor. The thing is I wear scrubs and those lack pockets :(

GrandMasterB 10-23-2009 11:35 PM

It has been a real battle but I finally found a leather clip holster at WalMart without a flap and thus no magnets. Sucks because I have an extensive collection of leather holster cases in a shoebox in my closet but the majority of them are BlackBerry cases and they ALL have magnets. I cant pocket the device either , its just not safe.

I have found that I cannot using any magnets with my TP2 or it causes me grief...

ponicg 10-24-2009 12:54 AM

Are you guys sure it's the magnet in the case? I find that when I'm at work and I leave my phone on my desk, I can get 2 full days(~48 hours) out of a single charge, whereas if I keep it in my pocket for a few hours, I'll have to charge that night...

Airhead315 10-24-2009 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponicg (Post 1259886)
Are you guys sure it's the magnet in the case? I find that when I'm at work and I leave my phone on my desk, I can get 2 full days(~48 hours) out of a single charge, whereas if I keep it in my pocket for a few hours, I'll have to charge that night...

Im wondering also if the increased battery drain is due to

A: if its in the case its probably on the move meaning its searching for towers/switching towers more often.
B: if its not on the move its possible that the case is hampering the signal enough to cause the phone to have to search for a better tower?

Do you have another leather case without a magnet that you could try?

Edit: you did mention that flipping the phone around seemed to solve the problem and I dont see how doing this would change the result if it were either of the reasons I posted so....ignore this post :-p

xr7kid 10-24-2009 01:19 AM

lol I'd like to know how a static magnetic field effects battery life?

oldman 10-24-2009 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airhead315 (Post 1259925)
Im wondering also if the increased battery drain is due to

A: if its in the case its probably on the move meaning its searching for towers/switching towers more often.
B: if its not on the move its possible that the case is hampering the signal enough to cause the phone to have to search for a better tower?

Do you have another leather case without a magnet that you could try?

Edit: you did mention that flipping the phone around seemed to solve the problem and I dont see how doing this would change the result if it were either of the reasons I posted so....ignore this post :-p

Quote:

Originally Posted by xr7kid (Post 1259930)
lol I'd like to know how a static magnetic field effects battery life?

I've seen a video someplace on this subject, and yes, SOME cases with magnets will cause the battery to drain. The discussion is in one of the many different forums, but I also think that the video is on UTube. The reason being that there are a couple of small magnets inside the TP2 that turn the backlight on when the keyboard is opened..which will drain the battery.

You can test your case, by placing the phone on a desk, face up and wave your magnet over the face close to the surface. If the backlight doesn't come on, then your case is probably OK.

The video proves this fact.

bob

xr7kid 10-24-2009 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 1259938)
I've seen a video someplace on this subject, and yes, SOME cases with magnets will cause the battery to drain. The discussion is in one of the many different forums, but I also think that the video is on UTube. The reason being that there are a couple of small magnets inside the TP2 that turn the backlight on when the keyboard is opened..which will drain the battery.

You can test your case, by placing the phone on a desk, face up and wave your magnet over the face close to the surface. If the backlight doesn't come on, then your case is probably OK.

The video proves this fact.

bob

I can see the case magnet tripping the screen sensor. I just don't think a magnet around a battery will somehow cause an increase in current and drain on battery.