PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 10:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

RichTJ99 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How one handed is it? Will I miss the Dpad for email?

Hi,

I currently have a Treo Pro & I have been having some stability issues probably related to third party software. There are some things I dont like about it but I do very much like the one handed usage of the phone.

Its nice at traffic lights to quickly take a look at my email & go. I have the side button mapped to the folders tab so I can one handedly change folders.

How does the TP2 do at Poutlook? Is it able to go from email to email quickly? Folder to folder? I do get around quickly on the Treo Pro with the Dpad & the side button (for folders), will I have issues with the TP2?

I started out with a Tmobile Sidekick which I liked (for the email, the web was terribly slow) but it was very hard to send a quick text one handed, then I had a Treo 700w, 700wx, 800w, & now Treo Pro.

The front qwerty has worked well for me & I am afraid to give it up, but I hate the Treo Pro's small screen. I am also thinking about the BB tour but I really hate the lack of a touch screen & that horrendous WAP browser.

Thanks
Rich
Old 10-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff
Re: How one handed is it? Will I miss the Dpad for email?

Not really, more just adjusting. I hated the Dpad.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC One

kaossyphany is just getting started

I went from a mogul to a Treo Pro and then to a TP2 for about 2 weeks. (had an accident) I am back with my Treo Pro for the time being but one thing I did miss was having to look at the screen for all navigation. I missed having a physical button for scrolling. It works well one handed overall but if you are me l have to either feel or see. I am not good enough to find the virtual buttons with out looking, though the touch flo does see to take care of some of these problems with practice. Other than that and my jaw bone wouldn't work the I much preferred the TP2 to my Treo Pro. Most of that though is due to like you said the small screen. I have several programs which just will not run properly due to the screen size. Having said that I think for the time being I am going to try to pick up a TP1, until I lear to take better care of my phones.

If by some miracle I actual help you, please don't forget to thank me!

Last edited by kaossyphany; 10-21-2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-21-2009, 11:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo Pro
Threadstarter

RichTJ99 is a n00b

Are you able to quickly go from email to email?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:27 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: S3/GN2/AXIOM/TP2/Hero/Moment/EVO
Carrier: *--USCC--*

apristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to apristel Send a message via Skype™ to apristel

Yes you can go thru emails fast.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:07 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

I always used slide motion on my e-mails, all the way back to when I had my Touch (Vogue). It's a lot faster once you get used to it.

The only button I miss is the OK button in the middle of the dpad.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

migz1134 is keeping up the good workmigz1134 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to migz1134

personaly i prefer having options, i rather have a d-pad on my device since i hate having to use my fingers to scroll on the screen. I hate having finger prints on the screen but i have a TP2 so i have to deal with it...
Old 10-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

jonzone is a n00b

Just use on of the many keyboard remapper programs for the TP2. On mine I have the windows and back buttons reprogrammed to left and right. If I hold them, them are the left and right softkeys. My volume up/down are set to up and down. If I hold vol down it's enter, if I hold vol up it's vol up. If I hold the mute button on the back, it runs the task manager. With a little customization, I now don't have to use the screen to navigate emails/etc. Totally worth it to get the big screen and keyboard. I hated the DPad on the Touch Pro anyways!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

KilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to KilgoreBA

I'll be the first to admit, I hate that the TP2 doesn't have a d-pad. It took me about a week to get used to just using the touch screen, but I finally am used to it now. I still miss it for playing games in landscape though. The d-pad on the TP was terrible in my opinion. The best d-pad I have ever used was on the old Compaq iPaq Pocket PC 3765, lol.

Being that the TP2 has a large WVGA screen, you shouldn't have any problem getting used to using just the screen.
Radio 2.23.00WV
Old 10-22-2009, 11:39 AM
AWESOME VIP Member!!
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 - SIM & HSPL unlocked
Carrier: Verizon

WhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuff

I loved how the Titan (XV6800) had the scroll wheel on the side). I loved all the hardware keys on the front of the hardware button on the front of the phone. I liked hoe the TP1 had an easy to use up and down D-pad (the left &right was lousy). I like how the Titan had a hardware camera button. I like how the TP1 had a center button. But in no way would I not get the TP2 because it lacks these things. I'll repeat myself. I would not give up the TP2 because it does not have these things.

The TP2 is amazing. You'll learn to work without a D-pad. The phone has so much more. And you're coming from a Treo Pro? That's not bad, but I wouldn't choose it over the TP2. Same with ANY blackberry. HTC really continues to make big improvements with each PPC model. So to answer your question, you may think about how you don't have a D-Pad, but the phone has so much more!

But for whatever reason you're dead set on having a D-Pad, maybe you'll enjoy having the cab file floating around that toggles your volume buttons into an up/down button (I doubt you'll complain about not having left & right buttons).

Awesome phone!!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2