PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 04:19 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Telus

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How one handed is it? Will I miss the Dpad for email?

I used to love the d-pad on my 6800 (mogul), and then found the TP1's unreliable. I switched to a Treo Pro too, but flip-flopped between the TP1 and the Troe for some time...until the TP2 came out.

I had the exact same fears and concerns you are having now e.g. lack of front-facing keyboard, lack of d-pad, etc. I soon got over the keyboard fear. The slider keyboard on the TP2 is far superior, IMO, to anything else out there in the WM arena. Although I liked having a front-facing kbd on the Treo, I actually found it cramped and prone to typoes. And once you see / use the screen on the TP2 you'll never go back to the 320x320 SQVGA on the Treo

As far as the d-pad is concerned I did miss it at first, and for the same primary reasons you seem to be mentioning...flipping throuh e-mails. However, you have two ways to go. First is as Cicatrize mentioned, and that's the finger slide motion. It is not too bad at all once you get used to it...or more accustomed to using your finger. Second is as another poster mentioned above and using a keyboard mapper. I use the Rhodium Keyboard Controller over at xda and have remapped my volume up / down to actual up / down actions, except in the phone app where they still function as volume buttons. I also remapped the BACK key on a long-press to the Enter action so I could select / open e-mails once I'd moved down to them using the up/down buttons. Works really well IMO and is a fantastic must-have app for these reasons / uses and much more.

Good luck!

Last edited by CovKid66; 10-22-2009 at 05:57 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

RichTJ99 is a n00b

That is pretty cool stuff. I followed your instructions & the up/down works great however, when I am in an email & I use that to scroll up & down in the email, it opens the volume controls.

Also, for the long hold on back for enter, just to confirm, Back key:

Event: Single/double, long
Action: Emulate Key Press
Key: 13 Enter
Send to OS

This has some great items indeed!

Thanks,
RIch
Old 10-27-2009, 11:32 PM

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP

I'm thinking you've set up the vol up/down incorrectly. Set them both up as direct mappings for the "38 up" and "40 down" respectively. Make sure you check the repeat checkbox for both.

Then add a rule...leave your stylus in until prompted, switch to the phone app, reinsert your stylus to register the phone app. When you're ready to configure those set them to direct key mappings again, and to "117 F6 - VOL UP, DONE" and "118 f7 - VOL DOWN" respectively. Enable the repeat checkbox for both here too.

Now for the back button, it is a single/double click, long press key mode. First set event set to click, and action set to "DEfault key action". Then tap the Event drop down and switch to the Long Press and set it to "emulate key press" and select "13 Enter". Nothing else to do here.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
That is pretty cool stuff. I followed your instructions & the up/down works great however, when I am in an email & I use that to scroll up & down in the email, it opens the volume controls.
Just an after thought...did you set up the rule in the vol up / down to only work for the e-mail app? Just to clarify, I set mine so the default action for vol up / down is always a normal up/down action, and then set up a rule so only the phone app would do a vol up / vol down.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

RichTJ99 is a n00b

Hi,

I followed your instructions in the other thread & the wierd thing is that it does scroll up & down within outlook (and everywhere else on the phone) in the emails, the issue seems to be once I open an email, go inside to read it, that the vol + & - bring up the phone volume app.

The only thing that is a little confusing is when I did the rules, it wants to use "rule 2" for both keys. I dont know if there are two separate rule 2's or if it overwrites it.

Thanks,
Rich

EDIT: Ok thats wierd, now in the "start, settings, system" the vol up & down do not scroll up & down but they bring up the volume.

On the desktop, Opera, PIE, it does scroll up & down.

On a side note, is there a key for "OK" (top right)? I was thinking that a back double click might be good, or even a vol up double click could work.

Thanks for helping me figure this out.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

RichTJ99 is a n00b

CovKid - I am going to do a hard reset & start over from scratch. I was curious, I am trying to set a mortscript to work with this but I am unable to do so. In your experience should I be able to do that?

I specifically have a mouseclick that hits the folder key on the top left. Its set so that when I am in Poulook it clicks the top left, when i am in anything else, it starts voicecommand.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 10-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evil Evo

i360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulari360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulari360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

The Mogul's scroll wheel was the best. Very useful to scroll pages and press it in to select. The Touch Pro's D pad was good as well, not quite as good as the scroll wheel, but it worked. The Touch Pro 2 takes a little getting use to, but once you do its sooooo much worth it. It's such a superior device compared to the TP1 its not even funny.

Luckily I have big enough hands where I can work it one handed.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:07 AM
proimageprints

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

For one handed use, I recommend using Swype Keyboard. It is GREAT! I find that I end up using it very often for short text input. It is very fast.
I have included an earlier version of Swype for the TP2. I use it and it works great. There is a newer version, but I know that some people have reported it to be kinda buggy.
Attached Files
File Type: cab Swype.cab (1.48 MB, 6 views) Click for barcode!
Old 06-13-2010, 02:40 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by proimageprints View Post
For one handed use, I recommend using Swype Keyboard. It is GREAT! I find that I end up using it very often for short text input. It is very fast.
I have included an earlier version of Swype for the TP2. I use it and it works great. There is a newer version, but I know that some people have reported it to be kinda buggy.
huh??? This OLD, OLD, OLD thread was about how to check your emails one handed while driving down the road and drinking a latte.
What does that have to do with swype?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2